Argyle's Greatest Team? Goalkeeper nominations | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle's Greatest Team? Goalkeeper nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2011
Andy Jeffery":2b7r0ax6 said:
Greatest ever would have to be Peter Shilton 125 caps.
Best keeper in an argyle shirt Alan Nicholls for me,he could have and should have gone all the way to the top in my opinion. :clap:

Was well past his sell by date by the time he headed in this direction and frankly if Gordon Banks hadn't had his accident he wouldn't have got into the England team as a regular for years, if ever. As you tell I Wasn't A fan, but somebody mentioned Bill Short and according to my dad, he was the greatest. In dangerous times for goalies, he was as brave as a lion and had an amazing record.
2nd choice Furnell

Aug 2, 2011
Modern day goalies have it soft. One touch and it is deemed a foul, soft plastic balls to deal with and hugely protective refs. They had to deal with leather balls which weighed a ton. Sorry this is one position where the oldies were streaks ahead of the modern day keepers. Blimey in those days you could shoulder barge the keeper into the net and it would not hae been deemed a foul.

Bill Short was outstanding and deserves to be nominated as the best followed up by McLaren

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Is it my memory playing tricks but when I started going to Argyle we seemed to have a succession of top class keepers. Pat Dunne, ex-MUFC regular and Irish international, Jim Furnell and then Melia Aleksic and Peta Balac. Hodge, Barron Crudgington and Rhys Wilmot also stick in my mind.
Since returning to these shores I've seen Larrieu - great club man but not so great at kicking and crosses; McCormick - good shot stopper but too small to be top class. Also, Stockdale, who will be an England keeper in time but was still learning his trade when with us.
Got to be Jim Furnell as he was the most complete keeper I can remember representing us. By the way,
I loved the way, in an era when club keepers all wore green, with yellow reserved for internationals, Argyle forced other keepers to wear blue or red jerseys.

Dec 2, 2005
London
I guess the problem is there's a difference between "the best" and "the greatest". I've only been around 20 years and in my mind the holders of those two in that period are very easy to pick.

The best 'keeper was Alan Nicholls, by a country mile. Such a talent, and such a tragic waste of it. The greatest has be Larrieu. Not only a quality goalkeeper and a double championship winner but someone who has overcome serious illness - twice - and has stuck with us through thick and thin. I struggle to think of a better role model for young footballers to look up to.

Dec 3, 2005
My first ever goalkeeper was Pat Dunne and I believe from memory he was pretty damn good.

Other names that have made an impression on me thru the years are Jim Furnell, Milia Alexsis, Alan Nichols, Rhys Wilmott, Luke M and Romain.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
LostPilgrim":ht1yvr6r said:
I guess the problem is there's a difference between "the best" and "the greatest". I've only been around 20 years and in my mind the holders of those two in that period are very easy to pick.

The best 'keeper was Alan Nicholls, by a country mile. Such a talent, and such a tragic waste of it. The greatest has be Larrieu. Not only a quality goalkeeper and a double championship winner but someone who has overcome serious illness - twice - and has stuck with us through thick and thin. I struggle to think of a better role model for young footballers to look up to.

It's a difficult one. Off the pitch Larrieu would win easily against any player but personally I would give my vote for performances on the pitch.

The team we'll end up with sometime during the summer will not be to everyone's liking but that's the nature of football.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
If its greatest keeper I have seen personally then its between Ro and McCormick both were fantastic keepers in different ways, I would go with Ro out of the two of them becuase there is little to choose between them ability wise so Ro's off-field attributes edge it for me he was a fantastic servant to the club and was a really nice chap...

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Dickie Moyle":1sqpheo3 said:
greengenes":1sqpheo3 said:
Alan Miller . There was one save he made where he twisted and sort of changed direction in mid air I'll never forget . Anyone else recall it ?

Against Everton FA CUP Round 4, 1-1 draw at Home Park. Save from Stuart McCall, was picked out on that evenings Match of the Day as potentially the save of the competition and although I agreed with the assessment it was made by Bob Wilson who was Alan Miller's Goalkeeping Coach at Arsenal, biased much.

And although he may have only been a Green for three months is also my choice as best keeper.

Can remember it well, One of the greatest saves I have ever seen and up there with Gordon Banks save against Brazil.

Mar 11, 2012
In my time as a young argyle an it was alan miller and crudgie for me. Greengenes the save miller made was at home to everton in the f.a. cup i was there and had never seen a save like that before.

bodspafc

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 8, 2005
Bristol
Argyle-sy":3215ma7q said:
Dickie Moyle":3215ma7q said:
greengenes":3215ma7q said:
Alan Miller . There was one save he made where he twisted and sort of changed direction in mid air I'll never forget . Anyone else recall it ?

Against Everton FA CUP Round 4, 1-1 draw at Home Park. Save from Stuart McCall, was picked out on that evenings Match of the Day as potentially the save of the competition and although I agreed with the assessment it was made by Bob Wilson who was Alan Miller's Goalkeeping Coach at Arsenal, biased much.

And although he may have only been a Green for three months is also my choice as best keeper.

Can remember it well, One of the greatest saves I have ever seen and up there with Gordon Banks save against Brazil.

Didn't he do another 'wonder save' too? Think it might have been against Oldham - Andy Ritchie? Shot was going into the top corner and he somehow tipped it over. My memory isn't great though - might be getting mixed up a bit!

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Very difficult to compare, I know, but in pre-war days there was Cornishman Harry Cann, who played over 200 games for the Greens and was considered by many as being good enough for England and also Bill Harper who, in various capacities, served the club as player or backroom staff for nearly fifty years.

P

Piran-Pilgrim

Has to be for me Alan Nicholls only thing which let him down was attitude can remember him being sent home by the England U21 set up during matches for bad behaviour apart from that was a joy to watch think if he remained his name would have been in England team, good old days picking up a young goalie from NON-LEAGUE Cheltenham Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.