Minutes Applause (on 25 minutes at the replay. RIP) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Minutes Applause (on 25 minutes at the replay. RIP)

Jan 8, 2017
Scouse Green
Bolshevik1966":36za2gqu said:
Liverpool had a flag made, have made a donation to the lads hospital and helped a Plymouth supporter on the worst day of his life.
We have not shown them the respect they shown one of our supporters and I personally apologies for that we have not handled this great.
Its all got a bit mixed up there anthem (which to them is a great song for the father to hear at this time) bearing in mind what has happened and then confused that they (Liverpool)
were some how trying to impose there Anthem on our ground. Remember we were very respectful of the YNWA at Anfield.
Perhaps we should have a collection at one of our home games for Liverpool families fighting for justice, I am normally in the pub getting pi$$ed but I am
more than willing to stand around helping to do this, we need to show the class they showed one of our supporters at the worst times of his life.

When you see 10 & 12 year olds name on a wall who died at a match does it not put all this in perspective.

I've kept in the background on this throughout the debate as it's a bit of a weird one for me

I think it was pretty clear it wasn't 'one or two' who were booing, that came across very clear

I have a huge foot in both camps as I've made clear on here, so there's no bias from my quarter.

Putting my red hat on, YNWA is never sung other than before the game or at the end when we're either winning or it's some kind of glorious defeat (if that makes sense)

There are VERY few exceptions, half time at Istanbul being one of them at 0-3 down for example.

At HP on Wednesday after the applause on the 25th minute and the parade of the banner for poor Daniel May, YNWA was sang in tribute for him.

There was a lot of bemusement at the booing that followed.

I would hope that it was people simply booing YNWA and thinking it was just LFC fans singing rather than the sentiment behind it, and not really understanding the whole picture.

Here's hoping anyway

Jan 8, 2017
Scouse Green
northdowner":3i7spnmw said:
Hi everyone
Well what can I say about the tribute to my son. Firstly I was invited by Liverpool FC as there guest to the game and was sat next to Ian Ayers right at the front of the directors box. So I had a fantastic view of everything. The most emotional time for me was when my wife and I walked out just before the start of the game and saw the banner with my sons name on it already being displayed in front of the Barn Park.
The thought that fans of other clubs contributed to the production of the banner was so moving. It was Liverpool fan Anthony Grice who set up the gofundme page and although mostly LFC fans it was also fans from around the world that donated. When Anthony went to collect it the makers didn't charge him a penny so the near 4k all went to the Guildford hospital where Dano died after being taken there following a cardiac arrest. I am now in possession of the banner after the Liverpool fans passed it on to my daughter in block 18 at half time. We will display it at Dano's funeral to represent the amazing support I and my family have had since we lost him on Sunday 8th. The two men that really helped me at Anfield that day were also brought down by LFC and we're with us in the directors box for the replay which was amazing for me to be able to thank them properly in person.
Now as for the applause on the 25th minute mark. I thought it was outstanding. Yes loads of people would not of known the reason for the clapping but loads did. Does it matter? No not really. I heard them sing YNWA, great thank you LFC fans superb effort and a great show of solidarity for a fellow football fan who is grieving. Then I heard the booing and I get it, I do. Not a problem whatsoever. Then the Argyle chant, brilliant really brilliant. It's football. We are fans it's what we do. I thank those that have argued the point on here guys and I love your passion for your opinion I really do. However the what's and why fors of it really don't matter. I loved it and so did my family. Home Park is my church and my son was given a great tribute within it.
Daniel had his autopsy today, so I have been very down thinking about that and what it entails with lots of irrational thoughts. So to cheer myself up I remind myself of Wednesday night and that fantastic tribute and how great our team and fans looked. Well done everyone. Who did what and why is really not important. What is important is that you turn to your loved ones and tell them you love them.
I will be at Cheltenham tomorrow as I need the distraction as I'm struggling with the loss. If you recognise me don't be afraid to ask me about Daniel, I love talking about him it's how we keep someone's memory alive. Safe journey everyone.

God bless you

Your story touched a whole city 300 miles away and will never be forgotten

RIP Daniel

You'll Never Walk Alone

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Fantastic gesture from the majority of both sets of fans in the fundraising and the minutes applause. Shame about a few who were too gauche to realise that singing YNWA was part of the tribute and not intended to undermine it. The minority of fans who booed were a bit like a drunken uncle tearing into a cousin for not crying loudly enough at a funeral, or for crying too loudly as the case may be. Nothing to be done now I suppose.

RIP Daniel.

Jan 8, 2017
Scouse Green
GreenSam":1n9ol6bq said:
The minority of fans who booed were a bit like a drunken uncle tearing into a cousin for not crying loudly enough at a funeral, or for crying too loudly as the case may be.

So eloquently put, and so perfectly accurate

I would hope the vast majority were blissfully unaware, let's leave it that way

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Whilst fully respecting the Liverpool fans for all they did which was fantastically magnanimous, I do believe their surprise at YNWA being booed betrays the arrogance and patronising attitudes that seem inherent to Premiership clubs.
Until Gazza explained on this thread that YNWA is only ever sung at the start and end of matches I was completely unaware of this and I'd bet I am not the only one. Like IJN I believed the singing was in support of their team and began as a result of the away fans being galvanized by the minutes applause. As such, Argyle fans were justified in attempting to drown out any effort to gee up the opposing team. To somehow expect the whole of an away ground to understand the internal norms of Liverpool fandom is presumptuous to say the least.
I can now acknowledge their sensitivity to the booing but,equally, they need to understand they were never going to be allowed free rein to outsing the GA.
BTW I much prefer"Scouser Tommy".

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Northdowner posted very movingly and explained his position very eloquently.

It's a shame that some still posted after that keeping the 'argument' going tbh.

RIP Daniel, sincere condolences to his family.