monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
It's not just the fee, it's the wages. Anyway, do you think Bogle would chose us over a Championship or L1 club? I think a reality check is in order for some.

P

Pilgrimrob87

Reading today Omar bogle is transfer listed even though he only joined Wigan in January doesn't fit into Paul cooks style of play apparently valued at 800k worth a punt perhaps

Jul 13, 2006
Pilgrimrob87":uzs62caq said:
Reading today Omar bogle is transfer listed even though he only joined Wigan in January doesn't fit into Paul cooks style of play apparently valued at 800k worth a punt perhaps
Perhaps Reading tomorrow?

Jul 29, 2010
Pilgrimrob87":39x9j6kt said:
They can VALUE him whatever they want....but having been there for just a few months and being so quickly shown the door then it's a buyer's market I'm afraid, they have a commodity they can't pretend they value. No-one is going to bid anywhere near that.

Doesn't fit in to Wigan's style?, well he sure as hell fits into ours. He and Akinde showed exactly what we need in those back to back home games. Our defence, the best in L2, just couldn't live with their power and pace. Either of them would be the perfect final piece in our jigsaw, a definite statement of intent.

I would doubt even a bid at the cheeky end of the '£800k, you're 'avin' a laugh' scale would be in budget. But Bogle is every inch the number 9 we need. I am not the sort to call for marquee signings, if we can't afford it we can't afford it in my book. However if we have anything left from last season's windfalls and we can exploit a relative bargain from the weak bargaining position Wigan have saddled themselves with, then maybe it's worth pushing the boat out a bit. Someone like him, the perfect strong and quality fit for our system, could well be the difference between a consolidation season and a serious challenge for promotion season.

We'd get £800k back on a promotion....and as I say, we don't need to spend nearly that much to get him.

A rarity from me therefore, but unless DA doesn't see what I saw, I think he's one you could make a serious business case for signing outside our current policy.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I think that this is a nonsense suggestion. First there is the transfer fee - even if it is nowhere near (e.g. only 25% of) the £800k Wigan say they want it would be way above what Argyle could/would pay. But with other Championship clubs rumoured to be interested in signing him there's no real prospect that the fee would drop much from that level. Then there is the small fact that when he moved to Wigan he will have been moving for a considerable salary increase and to an amount far above what Argyle could afford. I just can't see it myself.

Mar 21, 2008
I agree that he'd be the sort of player you'd want to push the boat out for but I think it's totally unrealistic. The view from Wigan fans is that he's fallen out of favour because he feels he's too good for league 1 and should be playing in the championship, so his agent is just pushing for a move back to a club up there. That would obviously make it impossible for us, if the finances didn't already.

Jul 29, 2010
I know Doc, highly unlikely, but then so too was Carey re-signing, so nothing is completely impossible.

He'll go elsewhere I'm sure but if you're going to play with just one central forward THAT is the sort of player you need, Garita shaped but blessed with the ability to deliver end product.

As a footballing decision it's a no-brainer, as a financial decision though it would require a big change in direction, probably too far for us. As a one off investment though the impact he could make on the end of the creativity and delivery we already have might just swing a business case for trying.

When he signs elsewhere there'll be no surprise, but just imagine if we could get him for our new #9 :shock:

Aug 5, 2016
We couldn't afford his wages, and that's before we find the answer to 'where are we going to get £800,000' from?

Won't be happening I'm afraid.