Carey vs Buzsaky | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Carey vs Buzsaky

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I doubt whether GC10 would get a back door Dr to get his achilles problem sorted out. :greensmile:

I always remember Hollowords telling us that in Austria once.

Jan 3, 2013
Personally, imho Carey has that little bit more of the unexpected and is more of a ream player, I reckon he will have more freedom in league one, and less cloggers against him. I liked Buzz, but rate Carey higher as above

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Knarf Reprah":3v69oq07 said:
Personally, imho Carey has that little bit more of the unexpected and is more of a ream player, I reckon he will have more freedom in league one, and less cloggers against him. I liked Buzz, but rate Carey higher as above

Frank...I reckon Carey will be a marked man in league division 1 in many ways..the cloggers will be out to get him from match one....

Aug 5, 2016
Mar 18, 2014
I just hope carey's habit of giving the ball away in our half the pitch doesn't lose us too many points. Will be interesting to see how he goes....being '"world class" and a "genius" i expect we will be in the promotion mix with gc10 leading the charge

Jan 3, 2013
Vampires11":1y5w134x said:
I just hope carey's habit of giving the ball away in our half the pitch doesn't lose us too many points. Will be interesting to see how he goes....being '"world class" and a "genius" i expect we will be in the promotion mix with gc10 leading the charge

:funny: :funny:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Buzsaky if it comes down to pure ability and the 'wow I cannot believe this guy is playing for us' factor. But... I think Carey will hold a greater place in my heart for a longer time for two reasons.

1) after 5 or so years of post-admin struggle and blood and snot attacking players, he was the man who got us off our feet again. In many ways the symbol that Plymouth Argyle were back.

2) that he re-signed when he could have gone elsewhere.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Knibbsworth":3437apv7 said:
pearces greens":3437apv7 said:
Knibbsworth":3437apv7 said:
Strange thread but I had an argument recently with a (non Argyle supporting) friend about who the better player was/is.

My opinion is Carey, his is Buzsaky.

The immediate observation is that they were playing two divisions apart. If you include QPR, Akos played in the Premier League, for Hungary internationally and also under Jose Mourinho at Porto. So Akos has undeniably made more of himself at a higher level.

However Carey's CV at Argyle has been near legendary. He has been the driving force behind all manner of goals and assists, some world class goals - long range belters, dribbles, sprints and finishes. All while pulling his weight and committing to defending, which Akos never even pretended to be interested in doing. Pulls had our best player at the time on the bench for exactly this reason. Akos looked streets above with his silky moves, but Carey is direct - if he doesn't deliver goals its chances and assists.

If you could have one player at their best for Argyle which one do you start and which one do you bench? A direct comparison of player v player.
If your "mate" is a non Argyle supporter, how many times did he watch either player to make a choice ?

He watched Buzsaky in the flesh once or twice and found him a memorable talent, which is exactly what Akos was.

I got up YouTube videos of two seasons worth of Carey putting pinpoint crosses on strikers heads, killer through balls, Scholes like cross field balls, long range strikes etc. but he was not impressed. He found the smooth tekkers of Akos, the cruyff turns, the backheel nutmegs, the dropped shoulders, the feints, and the mazy midfield dribbles the evidence of a much more naturally gifted, talented, enigmatic, better player.

My argument was that Carey's genius lies in being direct. His vision and his passes lead to chances, chances which so often lead to goals. Goals are what win games, not the judges scorecards for showing off and technique demonstrated. Carey's long range threat is as dangerous as I have ever seen in a player at Argyle, ever, including Akos (who is also right up there). But whereas Akos hit one or two memorable belters, Carey often delivers one or two a month. Buzsaky for me never used his outstanding talent for the benefit of the team enough. He could skin two or three Championship level centre midfielders easily enough before spraying a quality pass, but so often it didn't really lead to anything. You rarely come out of Home Park after an Argyle win where Carey hasn't either totally pulled the strings, set up the key chances or scored the big goals. Carey's importance to our team just cannot be understated.

People can argue that Carey has been playing two divisions below Akos. But it is pretty evident that Carey was never a League Two quality player - he was streets ahead of the rest in terms of quality, ever since the thirty yard goal away at AFC Wimbledon on his debut. Jed Wallace was the same at one point for Pompey too, but he got a move to Wolves whereas Carey chose to stay and play for his guru. Numerous impartial pundits have identified Carey as the best player outside of the Championship - that includes League One as well as Two. Skynet revealed Carey had offers from Middlesbrough and Sheffield United among others who are bigger Championship clubs than Argyle were. So for me, doing it at a lower standard argument doesn't cut it - a sweetly hit thirty yarder goes in at most levels, and that's why big Championship clubs wanted him.
A well balanced appraisal of the two Knibbs.

Both have been a joy to watch. But I still can’t help but sway to Akos, just for sheer jaw-dropping, HOW-THE-F-DID-HE-DO-THAT?? moments. I remember him once rolling the ball up the back of his own calf then sort of hopping between two defenders – all in the blink of an eye. That doesn’t make him the better player and certainly Carey is streets ahead in terms of team work but it was always great walking into the ground knowing - or rather not knowing - quite what we were going to see from him. Even holding your breath & covering your eyes when he got the ball on the edge of our box was kind of exciting in a masochistic way. That said - I completely agree with Biggs's comment above.

Aug 22, 2006
There isn't really an argument to be had about who is the better player. That would be Akos (although Carey has a few years to prove me wrong!) However in terms of contribution to the club it's got to be Carey which is backed up by all the impressive stats. In terms of who you enjoyed watching then of course that's entirely up for debate. Buzz for me because of his silky skills and the fact that we were playing better opposition in the 2nd tier. He possessed a wow factor which Ave It mentioned. HOWEVER Carey is far more satisfying overall because you know that more often than not he will win the game for us, whether it be with an assist, a goal, a set piece... and again this is backed up by the stats.

Both cracking players and they underline why we love the game.

Nov 12, 2008
Weston
VerdeMax":20h15u56 said:
Akos Buzsaky is the best player to have ever worn an Argyle shirt. Carey doesn't even come close.
That's pretty strong !! I would beg to differ Mariner just one who beats him IMHO

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
VerdeMax":2gtksa67 said:
Akos Buzsaky is the best player to have ever worn an Argyle shirt. Carey doesn't even come close.

:funny:

Stop it, please, stop it.

Aug 7, 2008
Devon
Stop what? You older lot who bang on about how good some players were in the 70's 80's should stop it! They would be poo in today's world. Akos is the most technically gifted player we've ever had and was a game-changer - he should have started more games.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
VerdeMax":2kgu1e1g said:
Stop what? You older lot who bang on about how good some players were in the 70's 80's should stop it! They would be sh1te in today's world. Akos is the most technically gifted player we've ever had and was a game-changer - he should have started more games.

As someone said a couple of pages back, I don't think Akos is even the best Hungarian we've ever had. I'd rather have Halmosi in his prime than Akos!

Jul 3, 2013
The-Pilgrim":1uojtbh5 said:
VerdeMax":1uojtbh5 said:
Stop what? You older lot who bang on about how good some players were in the 70's 80's should stop it! They would be sh1te in today's world. Akos is the most technically gifted player we've ever had and was a game-changer - he should have started more games.

As someone said a couple of pages back, I don't think Akos is even the best Hungarian we've ever had. I'd rather have Halmosi in his prime than Akos!

Or Gyorgy Sandor :funny:

Aug 22, 2006
VerdeMax":1gq4g8lp said:

What about before that? Difficult to know for sure if Jack Leslie was a better player, but he certainly should have represented England on many occasions.

The technically gifted part is interesting. Yes you could have a point... and people forget that he was loved at QPR, a club he played for in the premier league as well as the championship. Otherwise I wouldn't really be so quick to criticize the players from the 70s/80s. It's funny because I kind of had that view when people talked about the halcyon days under Shilton, because in reality a lot of those players weren't brilliant as such, proven by the fact that the majority of them didn't go onto bigger better things so to speak, or if they did it wasn't for representing clubs in the top leagues. Plus we played a lot of that era in the third tier. However for some people they are fond memories... and actually it was more the fact that a decent team had been assembled that on their day could beat anyone in their league. Of course it went horribly wrong, but I think for many it's a case of "what if..." So yes, fond memories and it's sometimes hard to argue about players from different eras, just because the modern footballer is fitter today, that's one aspect. They might not be as skillful though.

I think in general, and this isn't going to go down very well, but the best player to have played for Argyle was Emile Mpenza. Paul Mariner is up there but hard to argue with Mpenza really if you look at the clubs he played for, the club he was at beforehand (along with the money his former team mates would have been earning) and the international caps he earned with Belgium. The less said about his time with us though....