Wigan interested in GC10

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
I see on the transfer rumours that Wigan are interested in GC10.
It isn't surprising that he generates interest but what really 'gets my goat' over this is that Wigan (aka 'Dave Whelan's plaything') are still getting parachute payments from the premier league!
No wonder Cook left Pompey.
What a massive, unfair advantage over everyone else.
This is what Argyle and DA have to contend with.

Mar 8, 2016
If he was to leave in this window what sort of figure would argyle be agreeing to to see him move to another club? 500k? More? Less?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
999mattyg":2xbpqor9 said:
I see on the transfer rumours that Wigan are interested in GC10.
It isn't surprising that he generates interest but what really 'gets my goat' over this is that Wigan (aka 'Dave Whelan's plaything') are still getting parachute payments from the premier league!
No wonder Cook left Pompey.
What a massive, unfair advantage over everyone else.
This is what Argyle and DA have to contend with.

Argyle won't have to have had to contend with having players on contracts of a million pounds per year per man that they were tied into. Parachute payments are their insurance policy against relegation and are the right thing to do. If parachute payments are wrong then it is the Blackpool example. They spent virtually nothing in their Premier League spell and the owners then pocketed the relegation cash.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
chunkymonkey78":22qbymv0 said:
Lundan Cabbie":22qbymv0 said:
Wigan aren't getting parachute payments anymore.

No but they had one very recently.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42542010

Plus they've been bankrolled by Whelan for ages, if and when he goes they could turn into another Blackburn/Birmingham etc.

So what. It’s the rules everyone has had to contend without th for how many years now? And if Whelan wanted the ankrupt himself for Wigan FC it’s his right to do so.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
I’m pretty sure every team outside the championship is interested in Carey at this point. But after signing a new two year deal in the summer can anyone outside the championship afford him? Given everything our asking price would surely be sky high.

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
As Leonthegreen states just into new contract so charge them top money.
You don't give your top asset away and expect to survive! : :doh:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Lev Yashin":2ut82c7j said:
As Leonthegreen states just into new contract so charge them top money.
You don't give your top asset away and expect to survive! : :doh:

If Argyle ask for too much of a transfer fee then Carey's agent, if he has anything about him should be looking to open new negotiations with the club on an increase in salary for his man on the assumption that the club have this new valuation on his services.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Ade the green":760c2psr said:
chunkymonkey78":760c2psr said:
Lundan Cabbie":760c2psr said:

Plus they've been bankrolled by Whelan for ages, if and when he goes they could turn into another Blackburn/Birmingham etc.

So what. It’s the rules everyone has had to contend without th for how many years now? And if Whelan wanted the ankrupt himself for Wigan FC it’s his right to do so.

It's a massive 'what' though isn't it?
Hardly a level playing field!
DA. and other managers, are fighting an 'uphill' battle in the transfer market.
Maybe we should bear this in mind when being hyper critical!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
999mattyg":20evwh3x said:
Ade the green":20evwh3x said:
chunkymonkey78":20evwh3x said:
Lundan Cabbie":20evwh3x said:

What level playing field? Fleetwood have more money than us, Portsmouth have more money than us, Charlton have more money than us,do I go on? There is no level playing field in any league in the world but we have to play the hand we’re dealt.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Ade the green":1w9kkw1n said:
999mattyg":1w9kkw1n said:
Ade the green":1w9kkw1n said:
chunkymonkey78":1w9kkw1n said:
Lundan Cabbie":1w9kkw1n said:

What level playing field? Fleetwood have more money than us, Portsmouth have more money than us, Charlton have more money than us,do I go on? There is no level playing field in any league in the world but we have to play the hand we’re dealt.

Clearly I'm talking about 'normal' clubs with 'normal' income streams! Clubs like Fleetwood and Crawley are completely unsustainable when the 'sugar daddy' pulls out. At least the Argyle board are trying to build a sustainable framework with which to build the club. They maybe only able to take the club so far but it will have a sound footing. Something that, we all remember, was sorely lacking before!

Jan 30, 2017
I don't remember anyone on here bemoaning Newport's lack of budget when we thumped them 6-1 in April.

We were a big fish last year, even with a self-sustaining model, and are now not. I'd much rather that, because when the balloon bursts everywhere else it won't be us nearly ceasing to exist this time around.