Free agents to come | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Free agents to come

May 16, 2016
An example of where money goes was given in the Peter Reid Autobiography. In an extract I saw, referring to his time at HP, he said he first realised things were worse than he thought when he went to use the Company Credit Card to book a flight up North and It was refused.

Company Credit Cards are another example of the overheads that need paying from somewhere.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Emu":b791im0s said:
argobenz":b791im0s said:
Biggs":b791im0s said:
argobenz":b791im0s said:
I still don't believe Argyle were 17M in debt, we were hardly attracting top players, even Mpenza was only on 10k.

Sorry AG, but I think this comment sums up the criticism of the fag packet maths being done.

I admit I'm looking without having seen the breakdown of the figures, but where on earth was 17M spent, new stadium....No, Players.....No, Large staff salaries......No, Directors.............???

Here's Ian's breakdown as a refresher

http://www.plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk ... p?a=239507

Thanks for that, it's clear with the mortgages and main debtors that 12m plus is a likely figure. But the other 5M is a hell of a lot of small debts.

Sep 1, 2008
Money was flooding out, high wages (compared to income), wasted transfer fees, all the plans made up for a pie in the sky stadium and world cup bid!

Compare that to getting Jake on a free and selling him for £125k! I think our financial footing is better, but it still costs money to run the club so we can't expect every pound made will be spent on players!

May 16, 2016
vibratingspider":2qlgfjrs said:
Guiri Green":2qlgfjrs said:
What amuses me is the train of thought on other sites and media that because of Brents perceived lack of investment in funds for the team, constantly bemoaning his live within our means approach, we'd be better off if we had collapsed, gone out of business and reformed as a new Club.

How someone could moan about lack of spending from a solvent, sustainable, slowly improving L1 Club with funds yet think one without a Ground, League to play in or pot to pi55 is good and would then attract the best players and climb the Leagues is a bit beyond me. Everythings easy on paper or keyboards it seems.
Why does it "amuse" you? It might "concern" you, but "amuse"? That's surely the wrong turn of phrase altogether, unless you're as supercilious as you seem.

Had to Google that one. So yes and no I guess. Not concerned, it is what others think, good luck to 'em. Not my ideal way ahead.

Thanks for your 'concern ' over my ''amusement ' though. Very tresidious of you.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
argobenz":2qvx20ud said:
Thanks for that, it's clear with the mortgages and main debtors that 12m plus is a likely figure. But the other 5M is a hell of a lot of small debts.

I'll make the personal budget comparison again. What you're saying is a bit like looking at your monthly budget and saying 'right I have rent, food and travel... can't be much more surely?'

Well of course there is. Travel, meals out, booking a holiday, petrol, unexpected purchases, new microwave, replacing that phone screen because you dropped it, two of your nephews have birthdays... the list goes on and on.

Now scale that up to a professional football club busting a gut over-reaching to compete with clubs like Leeds and Newcastle, with a large staff and a million other things that you or I don't have to think about. And no non-football related income to support it all.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I still like the suggestion that Mpenza was "only" on £10k a week. That's half a million a year on one bloke!

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out how quickly the debt could spiral out of control when you're paying a team full of players that sort of money on our gates and zero investment from the board...

Jul 29, 2010
ealinggreen":33w48x1e said:
X Isle":33w48x1e said:
ealinggreen":33w48x1e said:
What are you on about same people,it was a simple question where does 17 million come from.I have never heard of that figure and I like facts.What same people posts have I made ? clever dick.
It is an age old trick Ealing, selective quoting and nit picking, ignoring the big picture and focusing on the small one.

Whether that was your intention or not, only you can say, and you have. Fair enough.

To answer your question £17m was the widely quoted estimated total liability in administration. It turns out it was actually a conservative estimate. Q8 in the link below from the board shows the total was actually "over £20m" :shock:

I apologise for getting my facts wrong but it doesn't undermine the point, it rather strengthens it :wink:

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2016/august ... tatement-/

Many couldn't figure out where all this money went. I would venture to suggest that is born of the same ignorance that can't wok out where the 'Liverpool/Purrington/Hourihane/etc' money has gone this time round.

Fag packet maths can add up incoming revenue but the size of fag packet required to list all the boring and unheralded bills going out, for all the mundane requirements of a football club, not least wages, ancillary fees, tax, NI relating to playing staff would need to accommodate fags only Godzilla could smoke.

If we ignore what happened before, it WILL happen again. I am 100% supportive of self sufficiency, I was then and I can't begin to imagine why everyone else isn't now.

You really are an arrogant individual,my question was a simple one which has been answered.I have made no comments suggesting Argyle should be spending money. Neither do I have any interest in your opinions on the club spending money or not,I will leave that to Adams.I do not have any age old tricks,I am a simple Janner.
:whoosh: or what?

By your own reaction there, you sir, really are a touchy precious and defensive little snowflake.

I merely explained what the 'well established tricks' that Pure was referring to are, as you claimed ignorance of them. I further acknowledged that you denied it with (quote) fair enough (unquote).

You also leap to clutch your handbag at things in that post that were not even directed at you. There has been a lot of stupidity creeping in on these boards lately, the inability to master the quote function for one, but also this belief... that if a post is quoted EVERYTHING in the post that follows is directed SPECIFICALLY at the poster quoted.

When I say "many couldn't figure out where the money went"... I am not addressing you. The word 'many' clearly refers to multiples of people, so not you specifically. Again, if you put yourself into that bracket then that is up to you I didn't.

Listen, if I want to give someone both barrels I am quite capable, the reader will not be in any doubt. But on this occasion my 'nostrils' were lowered. If you take offence to someone explaining something to you then perhaps it's best not to ask questions in the first place...

..and if you are 'not interested in the opinions of others' then I must question why you are even on an internet message board at all.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Biggs":1pkd8a65 said:
argobenz":1pkd8a65 said:

I'll make the personal budget comparison again. What you're saying is a bit like looking at your monthly budget and saying 'right I have rent, food and travel... can't be much more surely?'

Well of course there is. Travel, meals out, booking a holiday, petrol, unexpected purchases, new microwave, replacing that phone screen because you dropped it, two of your nephews have birthdays... the list goes on and on.

Now scale that up to a professional football club busting a gut over-reaching to compete with clubs like Leeds and Newcastle, with a large staff and a million other things that you or I don't have to think about. And no non-football related income to support it all.

Well, that's sealed that, when my Euro millions drop, investing in a nutjob like football will be a big no no. ;)

Jul 29, 2010
PlymOdi":2bzdb2d5 said:
ealinggreen":2bzdb2d5 said:
X Isle":2bzdb2d5 said:
ealinggreen":2bzdb2d5 said:
What are you on about same people,it was a simple question where does 17 million come from.I have never heard of that figure and I like facts.What same people posts have I made ? clever dick.
It is an age old trick Ealing, selective quoting and nit picking, ignoring the big picture and focusing on the small one.

Whether that was your intention or not, only you can say, and you have. Fair enough.

To answer your question £17m was the widely quoted estimated total liability in administration. It turns out it was actually a conservative estimate. Q8 in the link below from the board shows the total was actually "over £20m" :shock:

I apologise for getting my facts wrong but it doesn't undermine the point, it rather strengthens it :wink:

Many couldn't figure out where all this money went. I would venture to suggest that is born of the same ignorance that can't wok out where the 'Liverpool/Purrington/Hourihane/etc' money has gone this time round.

Fag packet maths can add up incoming revenue but the size of fag packet required to list all the boring and unheralded bills going out, for all the mundane requirements of a football club, not least wages, ancillary fees, tax, NI relating to playing staff would need to accommodate fags only Godzilla could smoke.

If we ignore what happened before, it WILL happen again. I am 100% supportive of self sufficiency, I was then and I can't begin to imagine why everyone else isn't now.

You really are an arrogant individual,my question was a simple one which has been answered.I have made no comments suggesting Argyle should be spending money. Neither do I have any interest in your opinions on the club spending money or not,I will leave that to Adams.I do not have any age old tricks,I am a simple Janner.

Ignore him. You hit the nail on the head with arrogant. He's more interested in stroking his ego and attempting to condescend people on here than following the thread. He makes several of these errors jumping on people because he's too quick to defend a point not being attacked.
Yep, ignore me folks, I am making it all up, no administration happened here, move on :roll:

Arrogant and condescending, F**K YEAH :cool:

But I am only arrogant and condescending to those who fully deserve it... those flat earth society types who deny something when it is blatantly obvious. In order to be arrogant you have to have supreme confidence that you are right... and I do. In order to be condescending you have to have a foe who is worthy of contempt, I find 'administration denial' contemptuous.

So yes, guilty as charged and defiantly proud to be so. The usual suspects are slowly popping out to play, so to all of you... carry on ignoring me, you have been ignoring the facts and truths about expenditure for years, making conspiracy theories to replace the gaps in your intellect and understanding that a grasp of even simple GCSE grade mathematics should fill.

You do not have open minds to the realities of football business finances, YOU DO NOT LISTEN, YOU DO NOT SEE.

Keep ignoring inconvenient truths, keep you head buried in the sand. I will be here to keep reminding you that you are wrong.

Nov 2, 2004
X Isle":26ookbcl said:
ealinggreen":26ookbcl said:
X Isle":26ookbcl said:
ealinggreen":26ookbcl said:

:whoosh: or what?

By your own reaction there, you sir, really are a touchy precious and defensive little snowflake.

I merely explained what the 'well established tricks' that Pure was referring to are, as you claimed ignorance of them. I further acknowledged that you denied it with (quote) fair enough (unquote).

You also leap to clutch your handbag at things in that post that were not even directed at you. There has been a lot of stupidity creeping in on these boards lately, the inability to master the quote function for one, but also this belief... that if a post is quoted EVERYTHING in the post that follows is directed SPECIFICALLY at the poster quoted.

When I say "many couldn't figure out where the money went"... I am not addressing you. The word 'many' clearly refers to multiples of people, so not you specifically. Again, if you put yourself into that bracket then that is up to you I didn't.

Listen, if I want to give someone both barrels I am quite capable, the reader will not be in any doubt. But on this occasion my 'nostrils' were lowered. If you take offence to someone explaining something to you then perhaps it's best not to ask questions in the first place...

..and if you are 'not interested in the opinions of others' then I must question why you are even on an internet message board at all.

Others ? I am not interested in your opinion on Argyle's spending or not.My question was regarding the 17 million dept,I did not know it was that much,get it.I got the answer.Nothing snowflake about me, just you being your normal arrogant self.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Well I for one think this site is richer for the artist formerly known as Smiffy.

Boring and un-opinionated he most certainly ain't.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
In all these fag packet calculations the necessity to pay VAT on receipt of gate monies, TV revenues and transfer fees received is unfortunately fogotten. As we all know when we buy a new TV etc, it is a significant percentage.

Nov 2, 2004
X Isle":17wb9mxw said:
PlymOdi":17wb9mxw said:
ealinggreen":17wb9mxw said:
X Isle":17wb9mxw said:
ealinggreen":17wb9mxw said:

Ignore him. You hit the nail on the head with arrogant. He's more interested in stroking his ego and attempting to condescend people on here than following the thread. He makes several of these errors jumping on people because he's too quick to defend a point not being attacked.
Yep, ignore me folks, I am making it all up, no administration happened here, move on :roll:

Arrogant and condescending, F**K YEAH :cool:

But I am only arrogant and condescending to those who fully deserve it... those flat earth society types who deny something when it is blatantly obvious. In order to be arrogant you have to have supreme confidence that you are right... and I do. In order to be condescending you have to have a foe who is worthy of contempt, I find 'administration denial' contemptuous.

So yes, guilty as charged and defiantly proud to be so. The usual suspects are slowly popping out to play, so to all of you... carry on ignoring me, you have been ignoring the facts and truths about expenditure for years, making conspiracy theories to replace the gaps in your intellect and understanding that a grasp of even simple GCSE grade mathematics should fill.

You do not have open minds to the realities of football business finances, YOU DO NOT LISTEN, YOU DO NOT SEE.

Keep ignoring inconvenient truths, keep you head buried in the sand. I will be here to keep reminding you that you are wrong.

I will accept that I am not well educated,or that intelligent but you really are an unpleasant sod.