āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I know it's mentioned on another thread but I thought it deserved it's own. Announced on his dad's birthday too. What a present. He must be very proud. From what I've seen of him, he's a very good prospect. Good luck Harry.

The Legacy Continues

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Chuffed to bits at this news. Like you Bob, I rate him.

If Harry gives us 50% of the service that his dad did (as a player) then this could be the start of something special.

It's a great day when we have another Hodges in the professional ranks of PAFC.

:clap:

Larry David

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Good news, his dad Kevin was a special talent and an Argyle Legend. Player of the year when we were promoted from League One. Hopefully young Harry can emulate him one day!

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
It`s said that the fruit doesn`t fall far from the tree, let`s hope so.

Ken Beale

ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
Sep 10, 2012
Well done Harry wish you all the best for the future, get a few tips from dad. THE LEGEND

Jan 7, 2018
MarkMatthews":3gch45i3 said:
Pele10":3gch45i3 said:
Should it say pro-development?

My understanding is they have dropped that title but it is that in all but name.

Bored off mark, it's not is it...

THE fresh injection of talent into Argyleā€™s professional ranks has continued, with young defender Harry Hodges signing his first senior contract.

Harry is one of five of last seasonā€™s Academy Under-18s to have been offered pro terms by the club, alongside Luke Jephcott, Ryan Law and Cameron Sangster, with goalkeeper Michael Cooper having already signed a two-year deal.

Aug 5, 2016
It's strange that Kevin let his son sign a pro deal with Argyle when they are so clearly bad for a young footballer's development prospects, according to some.

Surely his advice would have been to go elsewhere?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Knibbsworth":1laimf88 said:
It's strange that Kevin let his son sign a pro deal with Argyle when they are so clearly bad for a young footballer's development prospects, according to some.

Surely his advice would have been to go elsewhere?

KH: Cheers Boss I'm just nipping off to St Jaimless Park to watch my boy play.
DA: Ahh Pherphuckssakeureaweesassenachtasser so you are! ;)

(yes I know he doesn't swear!)

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I suppose Luke and Kevin Summerfield were the last father and son to be professional players here? If Harry were to make it to the first team is would surely be the first time (for Argyle) that a father and son makes it after both were developed by the club.

Feb 28, 2016
arthpafc":1rkjhrqd said:
MarkMatthews":1rkjhrqd said:
Pele10":1rkjhrqd said:
Should it say pro-development?

My understanding is they have dropped that title but it is that in all but name.

Bored off mark, it's not is it...

THE fresh injection of talent into Argyleā€™s professional ranks has continued, with young defender Harry Hodges signing his first senior contract.

Harry is one of five of last seasonā€™s Academy Under-18s to have been offered pro terms by the club, alongside Luke Jephcott, Ryan Law and Cameron Sangster, with goalkeeper Michael Cooper having already signed a two-year deal.

And why was Mike Coopers deal announced months before the others? Iā€™m sure his is what would be considered a professional offer as we would understand it to be.

Letā€™s see if Harry Hodges and the other 2nd year apprentices receive squad numbers. (The last year before Development Professional contracts came into being,) BOTH players in Callum Hall and Louis Rooney were registered with squad numbers from the off, since PD have come in it has been on a as and when needed basis. As far as Iā€™m concerned if they donā€™t have squad numbers from the start then they arenā€™t truly on professional contracts, as we would understand the term of ā€œfirst year professional.ā€

We are aware they will train with a designated coach, so completely separate from the first team. As has been the case the last two seasons that DPs have been in. Only now, they may actually be more likely to lose the commitment of training with the first team once a week.

They will play in the Central League and the SWPL, like the development professionals have been, they have been entered in something like two new reserve cup competitions?! Which of course, could mean as much as two extra games, they arenā€™t even guaranteed to play in given, how many squad players we have signed who will need ā€œfitness.ā€

I fail to see what is new and improved about these deals and I fully expect all the second year apprentices to sign them, I support that, they have to exasperate every opportunity of making it they get. On the other hand; Batts, Rooney, Fletch, Bentley, I respect their individual circumstances and will understand, respect and support their decisions either way.

With regards to Harry Hodges, he is his own man, I believe he is there on merit and I think his surname will be more of a hindrance than a help, itā€™s even unfair to hope he Evan does ā€œhalf as well as his dad.ā€ To even do that he would have to go on to be the best player we have produced this millennium! He has just got to do his best to make football pay the bills for as long as possible.

Now he is here he has my full backing, I really want to see him make it, break in to the first team and become a first team regular and a club legend, however the lack of positive reports, some where on about. I donā€™t think itā€™s a case of no one thinking he canā€™t make it, itā€™s just a case of (and I personally, believe) that Bill Palfrey and (in particular,) Sam Ryan were both better and more exciting RBs to watch. That said I certainly donā€™t think Harry is any worse than Mason Hughes, who as far as Iā€™m aware had no connections at the club, therefore I believe Harry is there on merit and has hit good timing coming out of his apprenticeship with what they are looking at first team positions.

That said I would be very surprised if we see these boys getting even the limited chances those on ā€œproperā€ professional contracts got, such as River Allen, Aaron Bentley and Louis Rooney got. I expect they will be more on the Miller, Steer, Palfrey and Calver path. Hope Iā€™m wrong but I wonā€™t hold my breath.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
If they're good enough they'll make it Mark. It would be nice to see a team of Plymouth area boys playing for Argyle in the football league. Reality is it will never happen. Youth talent locally is hoovered up by the premier league teams, used and discarded. Anyone left either has parents with a strong will, is a late developer, or won't be good enough. Argyle will always be better off trying to pick up the discarded youth products of the 2 top-tier divisions than trying to capture their own. The game has moved on.local Our youth products will be League 2 at absolute best, more likely non-league and SWPL level. As we move up the pyramid we may be able to attract kids whose parents are currently signing them for the likes of Bristol City, Southampton, Chelsea or Arsenal but in reality even then the chances of success are VERY limited.

Even if one romantically holds on to the notion that we can produce a squad wholly on youth talent there is only a limited space in the squad:
first team squad of 26,
Playing age 18-30 - 13 years,
2x players each age band

youth team squad of 15
Playing age 15-17
5x players each age band

every year 3 youth products will be discarded and only 2 make it. That's with even the most optimistic view of youth progression.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Mark Pedlar":17wtxttk said:
If they're good enough they'll make it Mark. It would be nice to see a team of Plymouth area boys playing for Argyle in the football league. Reality is it will never happen. Youth talent locally is hoovered up by the premier league teams, used and discarded. Anyone left either has parents with a strong will, is a late developer, or won't be good enough. Argyle will always be better off trying to pick up the discarded youth products of the 2 top-tier divisions than trying to capture their own. The game has moved on.local Our youth products will be League 2 at absolute best, more likely non-league and SWPL level. As we move up the pyramid we may be able to attract kids whose parents are currently signing them for the likes of Bristol City, Southampton, Chelsea or Arsenal but in reality even then the chances of success are VERY limited.

Even if one romantically holds on to the notion that we can produce a squad wholly on youth talent there is only a limited space in the squad:
first team squad of 26,
Playing age 18-30 - 13 years,
2x players each age band

youth team squad of 15
Playing age 15-17
5x players each age band

every year 3 youth products will be discarded and only 2 make it. That's with even the most optimistic view of youth progression.
mark,you that our youth players will be league two at absolute best but i think cooper will exceed this with us.luke said that cooper would "retire" him.