Players offered new contracts | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Players offered new contracts

Oct 31, 2015
I see Fox as Pivotal in the role we use him in so good news if true. Only problem does he have the legs for a full season of games as he struggles with 3 games in a week already and is DA hunting out a nrw Nallis/McCall/Fox type player to step in

Possible new captain for me as well.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":1q4m53ks said:
If Sawyer and Fox sign on l too would hope they are more squad members.

The reason is simple for me. Lack of pace. Sawyer would be targeted again.

In midfield we desperately need someone who is more mobile, especially to cover the counter attacks. This is my hope for a new DM. Which means Fox would be used more sparingly. If Fox is gonna be a first name on the team sheet then unfortunately, when defending, his lack of mobility will be targeted.

Prime example of Argyles lack of pace last year was Wigan. Kept doing us on the counter attack. That man, Macey again. We just didn’t get enough cover back to help the centre halves.
I can’t believe that you think that Fox lacks mobility. Apart from his ball skills and positional sense, he is also one of the fittest and most industrious experienced players that we have had at Home Park for many years. He is always available to a colleague and I will be very happy if the rumoured re-signing happens on Monday.
I think that some will only realise his value to the team if he does not re-sign. He will be very difficult to replace.
I am sure that there were not too many 34 year olds who have made 44 league and cup starts in the 2017/8 EFL season.

Feb 28, 2016
I believe(and I could well be wrong and am happily to be proved wrong,) but isn’t Sawyer the Players’ Union shop steward at Argyle? Would be interesting to see who would take that role on if he did leave, given the probability that it would be one of the new signings. I personally can’t see it being any of the characters left who we know, now Bradley is gone.

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":13hphcbr said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":13hphcbr said:

In midfield we desperately need someone who is more mobile, especially to cover the counter attacks. This is my hope for a new DM. Which means Fox would be used more sparingly. If Fox is gonna be a first name on the team sheet then unfortunately, when defending, his lack of mobility will be targeted.

Prime example of Argyles lack of pace last year was Wigan. Kept doing us on the counter attack. That man, Macey again. We just didn’t get enough cover back to help the centre halves.
I can’t believe that you think that Fox lacks mobility. Apart from his ball skills and positional sense, he is also one of the fittest and most industrious experienced players that we have had at Home Park for many years. He is always available to a colleague and I will be very happy if the rumoured re-signing happens on Monday.
I think that some will only realise his value to the team if he does not re-sign. He will be very difficult to replace.
I am sure that there were not too many 34 year olds who have made 44 league and cup starts in the 2017/8 EFL season.

At 34, how many players seriously don’t suffer from a lack of mobility?

And when l say mobility, l mean in comparison to the other players on the park. You can’t honestly think he covers the ground rapidly. Sawyer lacks mobility too.

What your talking about, l believe, is fitness and workrate. I’m simply talking about pace and the ability to cover someone quick who run on and off the ball. When Argyle get counter attacked at pace the centre backs were often exposed last season because the two full backs were high up the pitch and Fox didn’t have the pace to get back as the opposition flooded forward.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":34uouwt7 said:
davie nine":34uouwt7 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":34uouwt7 said:

And when l say mobility, l mean in comparison to the other players on the park. You can’t honestly think he covers the ground rapidly. Sawyer lacks mobility too.

What your talking about, l believe, is fitness and workrate. I’m simply talking about pace and the ability to cover someone quick who run on and off the ball. When Argyle get counter attacked at pace the centre backs were often exposed last season because the two full backs were high up the pitch and Fox didn’t have the pace to get back as the opposition flooded forward.
Do you really expect any EFL League 1 midfielder to have ALL of the attributes that you are looking for, Mark? I have already suggested the attributes that David Fox brings to the team and, if you are looking for a ‘Brian Robson’, you will not find him in League 1.
Any team comprises of the various attributes of all 11 players and Foxy, imho, provides more than enough to warrant a place in our starting 11.

Jul 12, 2016
IMO Sawyer's lack of pace is more of a concern than Fox's. Fox is similar to John Matthews who could spot a pass because of his experience ,Sawyer on the other hand leaves an alarming amount of space between him and the touchline which kept being exploited last season.

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":34onlxou said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":34onlxou said:
davie nine":34onlxou said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":34onlxou said:

Do you really expect any EFL League 1 midfielder to have ALL of the attributes that you are looking for, Mark? I have already suggested the attributes that David Fox brings to the team and, if you are looking for a ‘Brian Robson’, you will not find him in League 1.
Any team comprises of the various attributes of all 11 players and Foxy, imho, provides more than enough to warrant a place in our starting 11.

I only mentioned one attribute. That is pace (lack of mobility). It’s vital this season that we have more pace at the back. We had Vyner, but even having him showed our lack of pace at places like Charlton last season. I’m not saying l don’t want Fox to re-sign. I just rather he is pushed in a more advanced midfield position so that we find a DM that when we come up against teams with quick players eg Harrison for Rovers or Taylor for Wimbledon (like we did at HP this season) we have a player who can plug the space better and help the centre halves so that these opposition players aren’t just running so freely at our CB’s.

Unfortunately, when quick players run at him he isn’t the best at stopping them and allowing them a free run at the CB. For me it was first highlighted we had an issue as a team against Leyton Orient two seasons ago when Macey just scared our team to bits. The next season he came back with Wigan at HP, to once again score against us on the counter attack because we weren’t quick enough to get back at their players once they run at us directly.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
The truth is that it is a bit of a catch-22 situation. Fox may not be the best when defending as a DCM, but he is excellent at starting up play and bringing the ball out from that position.

We could replace him with a DCM who is good at breaking down opposition attacks, but they will most likely not be as good at starting up play like Fox is.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
I would like Songo'o to sign and I think he will.
We've given him stability.

I love his commitment. Not the best player but a good squad player and his attitude on the pitch is commendable.

First half of last season when we were on our ar$e he stood out with his performances. Never gave up, always 100%

Jul 25, 2016
Hi Davie nine
You can take it from me that Foxy has agreed a new contract and is looking forward to having another shot at getting Argyle promoted this season.
Sawyer is nailed on too.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Gdog":1u8op654 said:
Hi Davie nine
You can take it from me that Foxy has agreed a new contract and is looking forward to having another shot at getting Argyle promoted this season.
Sawyer is nailed on too.
That's great news Gdog; I knew you would be aware of the situation as I know that you and Foxy are good friends.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":2s1rnd7j said:
davie nine":2s1rnd7j said:
davie nine":2s1rnd7j said:

I only mentioned one attribute. That is pace (lack of mobility). It’s vital this season that we have more pace at the back. We had Vyner, but even having him showed our lack of pace at places like Charlton last season. I’m not saying l don’t want Fox to re-sign. I just rather he is pushed in a more advanced midfield position so that we find a DM that when we come up against teams with quick players eg Harrison for Rovers or Taylor for Wimbledon (like we did at HP this season) we have a player who can plug the space better and help the centre halves so that these opposition players aren’t just running so freely at our CB’s.

Unfortunately, when quick players run at him he isn’t the best at stopping them and allowing them a free run at the CB. For me it was first highlighted we had an issue as a team against Leyton Orient two seasons ago when Macey just scared our team to bits. The next season he came back with Wigan at HP, to once again score against us on the counter attack because we weren’t quick enough to get back at their players once they run at us directly.
Two different opinions there, Mickey.
Initially, you only wanted him 'as a squad member' but now you want him 'pushed in a more advanced midfield position'.
Anyhow, we have now been informed, by Gdog, that Foxy is coming back and I am very happy about that.

Mar 14, 2009
Its not two different opinions simply because I do feel we need a new CDM. If that happens I would think that if then I would push Fox 'into a more advanced midfield position'. Yet I am not sure if he would start before Ness & Sarcevic in those positions. Then you have Conor Grant too competing for a spot in there too. Hence, why I think he would be a squad member.

He could also cover at CDM if required. I wouldn't though expect him to be first choice though if we got in a CDM with pace.