Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Riley the only casualty from the Walsall defeat with Tafari Moore coming straight in to claim a place. Other than that we were unchanged throughout the 18. Surprised a little we stuck with Wootton but we'll see if guess. Slight change to the warm up routine with our RM secondee taking the physical warm up.

2) Southend were far the better team over the first 15 minutes having one goal disallowed for off-side and two other good moves similarly caught. Argyle weren't showing much until a bit of Carey magic inspired a period of play which resulted in a cross which Moore was adjudged to be brought down by the linesman. Carey dispatched the penalty.

3) Argyle were put on the back foot again and it wasn't a great surprise that they forced a corner from which Argyle gave away their second penalty in as many games and the score was level again. Right after the penalty Taylor flattened a Southend player who went down holding his face. The Southend players surrounded the ref (again). Taylor got a yellow and Adams and Powell both saw red.

4) The half time whistle came as a bit of relief to Argyle who were second best all over the pitch. Carey had a much better 45 than last week but Lameiras again looked lost, too often out of position and exposing Moore. Wootton was a little untidy but it was in midfield that we weren't really working. Ness and Grant were fine as individuals but didn't seem to work right together.

5) Last week the half-time change came as a surprise, this week it felt like a necessity. There were none. It didn't get any better for the first 15 of the second with only poor finishing from Southend keeping the scores level. Lameiras duly was replaced by Sawyer with Smith-Brown moving into midfield and Carey to the right hand side.

6) Sawyer had a shocking first few minutes when nothing he did went right. Lack of movement up front was forcing us to pass sideways and we couldn't put a cohesive attack together. Wotton's answer was to replace Fox with Songo'o. 20 to go and Smith-Brown was replaced by Ladapo who made his way to wide left.

7) The game went into that phase where no one really took charge and the game could have gone either way. Free kicks in dangerous places went begging for both teams. Taylor was booked for a foul that was clearly a dive. Luckily the chance was missed. Carey went clear but his cross was too high for Ness. Southend threw away 2 golden chances in injury time.

8 ) Hard to pick a man-of-the-match. Moore and Ness both did well and Carey did OK but no one stood out. I'm still not convinced about Wootton and Edwards as a partnership. If Lameiras was meant to be stirred up by Adams' comments after Walsall he clearly wasn't.

9) If anything this was a worse performance than last week. Disjointed and lacking in direction. Too much lumping the ball forward for Taylor to do his best with. Songo'o added some much needed steel to the midfield. The plus was that Carey was more involved but he still wasn't 100%.

Matt Macey - 6
Tafari Moore - 7
Ryan Edwards - 6
Scott Wootton - 5
Ashley Smith-Brown - 7
David Fox - 7
Jamie Ness - 7
Connor Grant - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Graham Carey - 7
Ryan Taylor -6

Kyle Letheren - unused
Gary Sawyer - 5
Niall Canavan - unused
Yann Songo'o - 6
Joel Grant - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Freddie Ladapo - 5

Mar 23, 2008
Looking like a slow start to the season once again. Wasn't Ruben hooked at half time last week also? If so would be amazed if he keeps his shirt, good player on form but appears to struggle to get himself up for games.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Shambles. With the exception of Macey it was time to go back in to the changing rooms and hold your head in shame.

Attitude, ability and delivery was poor. How we didn’t lose that is a mystery. Adams was always going to struggle under the new Manager discipline rules and let himself down early.

Sorry, but pathetic.

Aug 4, 2018
Exotic Birmingham
Matt Macey - 8
Tafari Moore - 4
Ryan Edwards - 5
Scott Wootton - 4
Ashley Smith-Brown - 6
David Fox - 7
Jamie Ness - 5
Connor Grant - 8
Ruben Lameiras - 4
Graham Carey - 7
Ryan Taylor - 6

Kyle Letheren - unused
Gary Sawyer - 5
Niall Canavan - unused
Yann Songo'o - 6
Joel Grant - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Freddie Ladapo - 8

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Sorry to say it and it goes without saying that we're all very happy he beat cancer but Edwards is going to cost us more points than he gains us. We desperately need a mobile centre half.
Argyle will be put to the sword by more ruthless teams than Southend based on the disjointed and clumsy defending today.
No better going forward with either one dimensional hoofing or really pedestrian build up play. Didn't create a chance other than yet another soft penalty at home.
Macey at fault for their pen for punching an easy catch.
Smith-Brown my pick, looks composed and strong.
You know your manager is happy with a point at home when Sawyer and Songo come on that early

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Thanks all, it’s really good to get six contributions so quickly when I couldn’t be at the game.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Yes deja vu, early part of last season. No one at it for whatever reason. Move on.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Another thing that bugged me is that we had attacking players who could have ran at Southend in Wylde and Ainsworth but instead we bring on Sawyer and Songo’o?

I’m a fan of Adams but today wasn’t one of his finer days.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Observations from watching on ifollow:

- Macey looks quality, still finding his feet and relationship with his back four is still not there..
- Moore and Smith Brown - both very good on the ball and composed. Both look a little lightweight on the defending side of things but they are good in possession going forward.
- Wootton and Edwards - this is where we are not settled, considering we had Vyner and Bradley last season, early signs from this pair is we lack the presence of Bradley and the distribution of Vyner. Hopefully they will both improve.
- The midfield was generally anonymous today as I think too many long balls passed them by and Southend looked quicker and slicker on the ball.
- Ness and Fox haven't found last season's form, Grant looks to have quality.
- Carey and Ruben not there yet and Taylor getting through a lot of work but we need more of a plan than just pump it into him, Southend worked that out very quickly.

It feels like we are going to need a good 5 games to gel, as today we looked second best and Southend were the better team, According to BBC we had 5 shots to their 17 which is a massive difference. So a point after that performance is probably a positive result.

Hopefully improvement will come over next few games.

Oct 11, 2014
First half we only really played down the left wing. We can't do that as you restrict the space and have no passing options. So we couldn't hold possession. Our penalty was never a pen, Moore tripped over the defender. Their penalty was nailed on.

2nd half we started using the width more and it gave us more options, but half the players not sparking when we have the ball nullified any real threat.

Should have been 1-0 Southend so this is a point stolen from a bad performance.

From what I saw, the team don't seem to know each other's roles. Will judge at 10 games and see where we are.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
a very poor spectacle from argyles' point of view.southend the better,quicker side and i was surprised they settled for a draw late on,i was a little harsh on matt macey so upped him to five.my ratings;
Matt Macey - 5
Tafari Moore - 5
Ryan Edwards - 7
Scott Wootton - 5
Ashley Smith-Brown - 9
David Fox - 4
Jamie Ness - 4
Connor Grant - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Graham Carey - 8
Ryan Taylor -7

Kyle Letheren - unused
Gary Sawyer - 6
Niall Canavan - unused
Yann Songo'o - 6
Joel Grant - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Freddie Ladapo - 2

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
4-3-3 doesn’t work for us anymore. We lack the presence in a 3 man midfield with Ness, Fox and Grant.

First half was depressing. Southend played with real movement and attack intent let down only by a few offsides and some final quality.

Penalty for us was soft and against the run on play. Lovely taken penalty by Carey.

Southend quick to pressure us again forcing us wide and then playing balls into there Number 10 and 11. Really good movement with there passing and shape.

We lack real pace and quailty on the ball. So many times balls were pump high up to Taylor, of which he won next to none. There CB was taller, read the flight of the ball better and was stronger. Yet we kept doing it time and time again which resulted in loss of possession.

Carey was our only real attacking outlet. He tried but was easily thwarted.

The defence was desperate at times but ultimately cleared the balls even if they were hacked at times under little composure.

3-5-2 was better but still lacked quality on the ball. Sawyer came on and played quite high up on the left but was wayward in a few decent areas with the ball at his feet.

Ness and Ruben were also lacking.

Overall disappointing performance but obviously over the moon with a point. We made Southend look like Liverpool in the first half so naturally they’ll be livid with not getting the warrented 3 points.

Get back to a 4-2-3-1 please adams or get that big strong CM in to put some presence in the 3 man midfield.

Macey 6

Defence 6

Midfield 5

Taylor 5

Apr 8, 2014
I disagree with a lot of this. The game was poor but whoever gave Macey a 4, please tell me what more you want from your goalkeeper? He kept us in it at times, punched ONCE and caught the rest. As for the comments that Ness was decent, what did he do? About as much as Connor Grant, we have no beef in midfield and until Sarcevic is fit we will be over run. The comments Sawyer had a dreadful opening? I thought that was the first time we looked composed to be honest. Fox wasn’t his usual self and Songo’o shored up the midfield. It wasn’t pretty and we expect better but some of these comments are a bit over the top. And as for Edwards going to cost us more points... I can only guess you weren’t at Walsall and if he’s the one you’re picking out for critisism tonight, I think you need to pick a new sport.