Pre-Season games (Merged 4 times now). | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pre-Season games (Merged 4 times now).

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
We looked like a team that hadn't played together today - disjointed and no flow to our game. Yet, of the front 6, only one was a newcomer. It almost had the feel of a pre-season performance.

Which made me wonder whether our actual pre-season was competitive enough. Numerous games against sub-standard local opposition and a thrashing at a lower ranked league team. Is that sufficient to hit the ground running when it comes to the real thing ?

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Frank_Butcher":ybf844ou said:
We looked like a team that hadn't played together today - disjointed and no flow to our game. Yet, of the front 6, only one was a newcomer. It almost had the feel of a pre-season performance.

Which made me wonder whether our actual pre-season was competitive enough. Numerous games against sub-standard local opposition and a thrashing at a lower ranked league team. Is that sufficient to hit the ground running when it comes to the real thing ?

I could not agree more , we seem more than happy to take the travelling circus around all the lower league teams in our area seemingly just to swell their coffers for their upcoming season .
The overseas trip is adequate for a bit of team bonding you would think but we need better opposition all round .

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd agree with that as well.

We certainly seem to be sluggish starters these days.

Mar 14, 2009
Torquay Utd away shouldn’t be one of your toughest uk opposition based pre-season games for a league one campaign.

However, l look at the team and don’t think pre-season is just the problem. I think it’s the make up of the team.

Carey & Lameiras aren’t wingers. Last season they played much closer to Taylor and to each other. Today it was like they played as wingers which doesn’t suit them or us. Fox, C Grant and Ness are too similar to be a midfield 3 unit. The 5 of these players simply are too powderpuff to be the “core” part of your team. You need a couple of these type of players and then fill your team with physical and energetic players to give them the ball.

Today was atrocious football. The only reason we didn’t lose was because how inept Southend were in front of goal.

Looking back 12 months ago there were games like this at the start of the season. I’m not sure that was solely down to pre-season either. Unfortunately, we played some dire football right up until November so l wouldn’t expect a short, quick fix.

However, Adams has proved he can turn things around and even if things look bleak this manager has proven that whilst his style of football is very questionable, he knows how to get results. And l guess that is all that matters.

Apr 5, 2008
Need to turn it around faster than last season.Do we really want to wait till December before the team starts getting results again.

Mar 14, 2009
moles40":1cz36jo9 said:
Need to turn it around faster than last season.Do we really want to wait till December before the team starts getting results again.

You ain’t gonna have a choice. You don’t turn around performances like those without two things

1. Time

2. New players

And as he has stated he is only bringing in one more loan we have to hope he gets the right central midfielder. He brings in a Makasi type instead a Toums type and will continue to have issues in midfield.

However, when you look as slow at the back as we did but conceded so many opportunities via crosses l am not sure where you start.

Then you have us going forward. To say we looked toothless is an understatement. Goals are gonna be hard to come by if they don’t start getting more players into the box.

All this can’t be solved by the end of August unless he starts using a different system with different personnel because today’s system/personnel choice was woeful.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Sorry but when you have a turn around of players like we do every season because of the low budget transfer approach every season will start slowly

May 8, 2011
What better opposition would you like Argyle to play in pre season. Argyle played against the two highest ranked sides apart from Exeter that are closest to Plymouth. How far away from the South West do you want Argyle to travel to get a game?

Jul 12, 2016
Argyle do a lot of travelling during the season so how is that an issue when it comes to pre season? Apart from fitness what is the point of playing non league opposition? Like sending a boxer to a amateur club to spar before a title fight!

Jul 13, 2006
HC Green":20mgmifg said:
What better opposition would you like Argyle to play in pre season. Argyle played against the two highest ranked sides apart from Exeter that are closest to Plymouth. How far away from the South West do you want Argyle to travel to get a game?
Cardiff were down here.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Scrap the 4-3-3 formation and give ourselves a fighting chance

Apr 4, 2004
Can't agree with the op. Every year we are having major squad surgery. It's bound d to take time to settle. Adams has shown time after time he's really good at this. I have no doubt we will come good but let's hope its not to long before we gel. Looking at the players we have I think we'll be really strong when we do. I always worry in the summer when we see the wholesale changes but Adams has my complete confidence as does this squad.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
ming the merciless":jx1blpb0 said:
Can't agree with the op. Every year we are having major squad surgery. It's bound d to take time to settle. Adams has shown time after time he's really good at this. I have no doubt we will come good but let's hope its not to long before we gel. Looking at the players we have I think we'll be really strong when we do. I always worry in the summer when we see the wholesale changes but Adams has my complete confidence as does this squad.

To some extent i agree ming, but the front three were the same as last year's successful spell and the only change in midfield was Connor Grant. Yes, I expect the defence to take time because of wholesale changes, but personnel wise there really is little reason why we should be so disjointed going forward. So I make the case that the players are just not at that level yet - possibly due to playing sub-standard opposition in pre-season.

Apr 5, 2008
The lack of pace and movement in the midfield is a worry.Look what Southend were like when they had the ball then compare that to when Argyle had it :facepalm:

I’m always trying to be optimistic with Argyle but it’s a worry that nearly everyone is bringing out the same flaws especially regarding the lack of pace and spark in the midfield.

Good news is that we struggled last season and then huge improvement.And Adams does seem to dig himself out of a hole when the team hits a bad run

Argyle already out to 40/1 for league one winners,4/1 top 6 ,and odds against top half.

Sky haven’t learnt from last season yet it seems.

Keep the faith :scarf:

Sep 6, 2006
Frank_Butcher":brpextzp said:
ming the merciless":brpextzp said:

To some extent i agree ming, but the front three were the same as last year's successful spell and the only change in midfield was Connor Grant. Yes, I expect the defence to take time because of wholesale changes, but personnel wise there really is little reason why we should be so disjointed going forward. So I make the case that the players are just not at that level yet - possibly due to playing sub-standard opposition in pre-season.

Isn't this just a pattern carrying on from last season though. Very poor at the end. I don't think Taylor is fully fit.
I fear the new players are not an upgrade on what we had. I never get all this unfounded blind preseason n optimism just because we signed some players particularly taking into account the loss of 3 good defenders.