Metal_Green_Mickey":caf1mknb said:
MarkMatthews":caf1mknb said:
Steve Evans":caf1mknb said:
rsp4":caf1mknb said:
Tugboat":caf1mknb said:
Half a season?

A full season?

A free run?

Pretty dire for a good 15 games now. Not just poor, dire.

Totally agree. This is not just a bad startto the season. We were exceptional for 3 months from Jan to Mar 18. The rest have been pure dross in lg1. I really want DA out but he wont go. Hope he has another exceptional 3 months sometime this season
who would you replace him with please?

There plenty of experienced lower league managers out there not currently employed. Stan Ternent, Lennie Lawrence, John Gregory,(if can be tempted away from India) Bobby Saxton, Frank Burrows, even Joe Kinnear (at least he has earned a right to be arrogant and managed at Premier League level.) would all be on my shortlist.

Your pulling people’s leg with that list, aren’t you?

I kept saying to myself someone wouldn’t pick managers where some haven’t been in jobs for donkeys years.....

If you are serious than l may well think social media isn’t good for my health.

No I’m being serious, said the same last season and now Adams has made his feelings clear about Plymothians, more than ever I want to see someone who has; experience, contacts, an affection for the club, people and area. Saxton, Lawrence and Gregory all have that, the latter two along with Ternent have applied for the job numerous times, so clearly want it. Eventually in a couple of seasons time they could “move upstairs” and help guide Wotton or Nancekivell.

My worry is not only you say your serious.....

You say how they could help guide Wotton or Nancekivell. No offence but not only is Adams to blame but so are the coaching staff. Wotton was a whole hearted player. A player who got the maximum out of his ability. However, is all honestly he wasn't a very good footballer and neither was Nancekivell. Now they are first team coaches and when you watch Argyle hoof it you should think...who does that remind me of?? The team resembles not only the negative tactics of Adams but the limited footballing ability of its coaches. They are to blame for this demise of the football team as well. Why on earth would you keep them on if the team continue to replicate the football it currently does?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
gaspargomez":3fjpt27e said:
I’ve said this before (as have others) but why not revert to last season’s players and formation? It would just involve changing two outfield players .. one centre back and the right back. Those are the only changes necessary to start with the team that did so well last season. Have faith in them Adams.

You are of course right. I think the problem is that the players DA has brought in (and let go) should in theory have created a stronger squad. Human nature being what it is I think he is a little scared that he has messed up on his recruitment and is hoping things will come right. He needs to swallow his pride...at this stage last season most of us could see what was wrong and yet here we are again. There was a book out years ago called 'The wisdom of the masses', the hypotheses was that if thousands of people held a similar view they were generally right despite being told by their 'leaders' they were wrong. DA perhaps needs to listen to the wisdom of the masses.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Sorry Mark, no serious or forward thinking football club on the planet would even consider those names 10 years ago (or 20 in Saxton’s case), let alone in 2018.

Probably don’t need to give my opinion re a change. Football changes VERY quickly and things that seem hopeless can pick up very quickly, and vice versa. We WILL improve.

There’s no way the board will be even considering anything drastic yet anyway, not least because Adams has tonnes of credit in the bank as well as proving he can get out of these situations last year.

Feb 28, 2016
Biggs":1x0z58m5 said:
Sorry Mark, no serious or forward thinking football club on the planet would even consider those names 10 years ago (or 20 in Saxton’s case), let alone in 2018.

Probably don’t need to give my opinion re a change. Football changes VERY quickly and things that seem hopeless can pick up very quickly, and vice versa. We WILL improve.

There’s no way the board will be even considering anything drastic yet anyway, not least because Adams has tonnes of credit in the bank as well as proving he can get out of these situations last year.

Well not only did we consider, we invited Ternent and Lawrence to interview, less than ten years ago in 2010. I would have been happy with either but remember arguing “Stan the Mans” case with a Lawrence supporter down the local! That said I was delighted when we got Reid!

Burrows was last hired by “backward” looking, Leicester who less than 15 years after would be English champions!

Bobby Saxton has remained in football that whole time. So still very much up to date. Your post seem to be redirected

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
The Club can't afford to sack Adams.I just can't see it happening. I think It's a case of hoping that his dreary tactics and patchy squad gel sufficiently to start grinding out a few results and enough points to avoid relegation.

While Argyle may escape relegation any improvemnt seems very unlikely to be on the scale of last seasons transformation.

Altarnun Green

✅ Evergreen
Nov 27, 2005
MarkMatthews":2ifktfwx said:
Biggs":2ifktfwx said:

Well not only did we consider, we invited Ternent and Lawrence to interview, less than ten years ago in 2010. I would have been happy with either but remember arguing “Stan the Mans” case with a Lawrence supporter down the local! That said I was delighted when we got Reid!

Burrows was last hired by “backward” looking, Leicester who less than 15 years after would be English champions!

Bobby Saxton has remained in football that whole time. So still very much up to date. Your post seem to be redirected

Saxton is 75! He still does a bit of scouting I believe but really, suggesting him as our manager?

Sep 8, 2018
How long before the current dire performances start to hit crowd numbers? I think it was only 8,600 today and there were big gaps in the Devonport as well as the usual swathes of empty seats in Barn Park. So that's already 1,000 down on the start of the season for a game played in good weather against a team we'd have been expected to beat (ahem...) Anyone who decided not to go today care to comment?

Oct 16, 2016
Adams has his strengths he really does but I won’t change my position on this now, I don’t enjoy his football, I don’t like the man from a human perspective and I can’t stick Wotton

I won’t shed a tear when they’re kicked out

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
MarkMatthews":38i4n268 said:

A mere 15 years later... And unfortunately I think the game had moved way past Peter Reid as well, despite his excellent off-pitch efforts.

Mark, all of the names you’ve suggested are well into their 70s and haven’t been managers for over a decade. Can you do some research into present-day coaches who have a good record for bringing young players through? I’d be genuinely interested in your views given your youth team knowledge.

Karl Robinson strikes me as an obvious one in that respect, he may not have much longer at Oxford.

Aug 10, 2006
Fergy":2t3lm50b said:
The club is too skint to A.) Sack Adams and B.) Make any exciting signings to have us challenging at the top half of this league (like we should be). That won’t change so we’ll be stuck with this dross all season.
not true about the club being skint is it there is a new owner who has put 8.75 million into the club and i suspect he has more money.

Jun 4, 2016
MarkMatthews":15qgdguv said:
Steve Evans":15qgdguv said:
rsp4":15qgdguv said:
Tugboat":15qgdguv said:
Half a season?

A full season?

A free run?

Pretty dire for a good 15 games now. Not just poor, dire.

Totally agree. This is not just a bad startto the season. We were exceptional for 3 months from Jan to Mar 18. The rest have been pure dross in lg1. I really want DA out but he wont go. Hope he has another exceptional 3 months sometime this season
who would you replace him with please?

There plenty of experienced lower league managers out there not currently employed. Stan Ternent, Lennie Lawrence, John Gregory,(if can be tempted away from India) Bobby Saxton, Frank Burrows, even Joe Kinnear (at least he has earned a right to be arrogant and managed at Premier League level.) would all be on my shortlist.

Lol, I have read some crap on this site but that is just bizarre.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Shankster":26s4l16t said:
Adams has his strengths he really does but I won’t change my position on this now, I don’t enjoy his football, I don’t like the man from a human perspective and I can’t stick Wotton

How well do you know Adams and Wotton on a personal level?

Oct 16, 2016
GreenThing":3cqd5d3r said:
Shankster":3cqd5d3r said:

How well do you know Adams and Wotton on a personal level?

Wotton quite well, kids go (went) as mine are all at Uni or comp now, to the same school so have been around him for a decade or so, a fella more immersed in his own sunlight would be difficult to find

Adams no more than any other guy I have had the occasional chat with and sit adjacent to from my block 10 perch week in week out. His is a personality that comes across acerbic and self immersed

Goes with the territory I suppose, but we all make our minds up on people in positions such as theirs

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
John Gregory gets a mention. What has the bloke done in English football in the last 20 years?

Ringo Starr came to Plymouth once, he's our man.