How much longer.. | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

How much longer..

Jul 13, 2006
MarkMatthews":1oe3j5h9 said:
Biggs":1oe3j5h9 said:
Sorry Mark, no serious or forward thinking football club on the planet would even consider those names 10 years ago (or 20 in Saxton’s case), let alone in 2018.

Probably don’t need to give my opinion re a change. Football changes VERY quickly and things that seem hopeless can pick up very quickly, and vice versa. We WILL improve.

There’s no way the board will be even considering anything drastic yet anyway, not least because Adams has tonnes of credit in the bank as well as proving he can get out of these situations last year.

Well not only did we consider, we invited Ternent and Lawrence to interview, less than ten years ago in 2010. I would have been happy with either but remember arguing “Stan the Mans” case with a Lawrence supporter down the local! That said I was delighted when we got Reid!

Burrows was last hired by “backward” looking, Leicester who less than 15 years after would be English champions!

Bobby Saxton has remained in football that whole time. So still very much up to date. Your post seem to be redirected

Mark, I quite enjoy reading your posts on our youngsters and your obvious passion and belief in their abilities. So I find it a bit odd that you are suggesting experienced but arguably " past their date" managers rather than someone younger such as Way at Yeovil who has drive, is doing well and has obvious Plymouth connections, or any other up and coming young manager.
Mind you, knowing the Argyle board, if they wait and wait, which they probably will, we will be in no position to take a punt on a young manager.

Feb 28, 2016
Green_Matt":21gukx0m said:
John Gregory gets a mention. What has the bloke done in English football in the last 20 years?

Ringo Starr came to Plymouth once, he's our man.

Managed in the top two flights, which is more than Adams.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Mark, when you are in a hole, stop digging.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Mark, has the last 20 years of football passed you by?

Again, I’d be genuinely curious to see which CURRENT or up and coming coach you rate. Especially for their youth credentials.

Football moves very quickly in terms of tactics, training, sports science, analysis etc etc. The names you’ve mentioned would be completely out of their depth in 2018.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I'd happily have Darren Way or Appleton but this is all just noise.

The board won't sack Adams.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":gq4hwztu said:
I'd happily have Darren Way or Appleton but this is all just noise.

The board won't sack Adams.

In that case they may have to face the financial costs of a relegation. Their choice.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":27n3coil said:
Mark, has the last 20 years of football passed you by?

Again, I’d be genuinely curious to see which CURRENT or up and coming coach you rate. Especially for their youth credentials.

Football moves very quickly in terms of tactics, training, sports science, analysis etc etc. The names you’ve mentioned would be completely out of their depth in 2018.

What's the difference? Looks to me like Adams is out of his depth. Perhaps thats what happened. Good manager in Scotland a few years ago but the game has moved on!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
MarkMatthews":2k7rh4jh said:
Steve Evans":2k7rh4jh said:
rsp4":2k7rh4jh said:
Tugboat":2k7rh4jh said:
Half a season?

A full season?

A free run?

Pretty dire for a good 15 games now. Not just poor, dire.

Totally agree. This is not just a bad startto the season. We were exceptional for 3 months from Jan to Mar 18. The rest have been pure dross in lg1. I really want DA out but he wont go. Hope he has another exceptional 3 months sometime this season
who would you replace him with please?

There plenty of experienced lower league managers out there not currently employed. Stan Ternent, Lennie Lawrence, John Gregory,(if can be tempted away from India) Bobby Saxton, Frank Burrows, even Joe Kinnear (at least he has earned a right to be arrogant and managed at Premier League level.) would all be on my shortlist.

:lol: Who?

I've had to Google these blokes just to find out who the hell they are. They're all 70+ and haven't managed a club in my football supporting lifetime. The game has changed massively in the past 5 years let alone the 15-20 these blokes have spent out of the game, you're taking the mick surely?

Adams ain't getting the sack so nobody need worry.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i always enjoy reading marks post as he is so passionate about our club and using the young talent at our disposal which i agree with.however,his post about these old guys taking over is deluded and i am an old bloke!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
TruroTerry":12giz22i said:
could have got Gary Johnson two weeks ago :clap:

Damn it, Torquay get the better of us once again :furious:

These suggestions are providing a few laughs after a poo weekend, at least.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
If Cardiff don't start picking up points soon, the fickleness of the Premier in general and cardiffs chairman should see Warnock available by November.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
I personally think that if we go down then Adams will still be here to bring us back up. The club are operating on a long term horizon and feel that Adams is the man to put that into place. Thus the contract. All this talk of the incoming new majority share holder being, possibly, more trigger happy and would be willing to pay off his contract is tosh. The board as an entity decided on the contract and not just JB on his own.
Some of the bilge i've read on this thread and every thread when we lose a game is laughable. Yes our football is dire and yes we ain't won yet but sometimes the shortsightedness and fan demands are simply pathetic.
Do you really think that DA hates Plymouth and the area? The man that signed a 5 year deal to stay in the area? Live and breathe the rarefied Plymouthian air? Again, laughable statement.
Have a look at the Burnley model with Dyche in charge. Stable club, living within its means, overachieved last season, might go down this season. Been relegated before. Long term thinking. That is what I believe is what this club is doing.
It's the right thing in my view.