Biggest without top flight football | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Biggest without top flight football

Jan 5, 2019
Seen a vlog recently of 7 biggest clubs never played in the prem, we was 5th in the video, always feel in terms of the top flight itself however we're 1st & the biggest club never to be in the 1st division, in fairness I think there's only 3 big clubs without top flight football over all that's us Bristol rovers & Port vale, what's you guys thoughts on the biggest clubs without top flight football?

Aug 5, 2016
The cities of Bristol and Stoke on Trent have had top flight clubs, which shines a light on Plymouth's misfortune in never having seen top flight football.

Jan 5, 2019
Knibbsworth":3kshwwli said:
The cities of Bristol and Stoke on Trent have had top flight clubs, which shines a light on Plymouth's misfortune in never having seen top flight football.

@Knibbsworth definate point there that's true, cause of city size I added them 2 unfortunatly their neighbours outshine them in Stoke & Bristol City & unless investment will in future terms, shame Bristol Rovers & Port Vale haven't had spells in the bug time but we're the real shame as we're the last major city, but we can dream as Hull had their day in 08 & Coventry in 67

Jan 5, 2019
Biggs":1et4gw8w said:
If anyone says Wakefield...

Literally @Biggs it's in realistic 1.They're not a major city and 2. It's an unrealistic name thrown into the hat as Dudleys been brought up before too & these adverse sized cities & big town don't even have a professional club so it would have to be a Milton Keynes franchise run up the leages & that's just not right in our english game.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
BcbC2312":6dqa1mqz said:
Seen a vlog recently of 7 biggest clubs never played in the prem, we was 5th in the video, always feel in terms of the top flight itself however we're 1st & the biggest club never to be in the 1st division, in fairness I think there's only 3 big clubs without top flight football over all that's us Bristol rovers & Port vale, what's you guys thoughts on the biggest clubs without top flight football?
I have always understood that it is the size of the city the club represents rather the size of the club. Traditionally it was always Hull and Argyle at 1 and 2 and then Hull made it to the top tier. So Bristol have never been included because the city has been represented. Port Vale is a new one on me. Whilst it is perhaps seen as part of Stoke on Trent, the Port Vale club is based in Burslem which is one of 6 separate towns that makes up the city of Stoke on Trent. The others are Hanley, Longton, Fenton, Tunstall and Stoke itself. But again, as the city has already been represented, it is not on the list of cities that have never hosted top-tier football.

Aug 2, 2011
memory man":2p6nn46f said:
BcbC2312":2p6nn46f said:
I have always understood that it is the size of the city the club represents rather the size of the club. Traditionally it was always Hull and Argyle at 1 and 2 and then Hull made it to the top tier. So Bristol have never been included because the city has been represented. Port Vale is a new one on me. Whilst it is perhaps seen as part of Stoke on Trent, the Port Vale club is based in Burslem which is one of 6 separate towns that makes up the city of Stoke on Trent. The others are Hanley, Longton, Fenton, Tunstall and Stoke itself. But again, as the city has already been represented, it is not on the list of cities that have never hosted top-tier football.

No such thing as a big club unless you happen to be in the 1st 6 or so of the premier league. We are not and have never been a big club. we have spent most of our history kicking around leagues 1 and 2 or if you prefer Div 3 and 4. Without mega investment it is where we will always be. Not popular for saying it but that is the truth. I have supported through thick and thin for 60 years and it aint gone to change in the foreseeable future. Truth is if you live in the extreme west we are lucky to get a mention in the weather forecast let alone a footie write up in the press or a mention ahead of an exeter side round or oval ball on Spotlight.

Jan 5, 2019
memory man":3fhtidqv said:
BcbC2312":3fhtidqv said:

@memory man very true I know from the history books there was originally 5 big major cities without top flight football post 1950, first Southampton 66 went up then Coventry 67 Norwich 72 then Hull 08 lastly poor us yet to join the other giants as we're the renowned sleeping ones, some great pointers though cause it's so true Bristol was pre prem in the early 1900's & 80's & yeah Vale's Burslem, i guess from a fans point we can dream as I know if we do it's only big towns & small cities as the biggest place without top flight i.e. Milton Keynes & Lincoln

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Presto":19v4a6pl said:
No such thing as a big club unless you happen to be in the 1st 6 or so of the premier league.

Leeds United, Notts Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa etc etc???

Jan 5, 2019
Presto":1j8qixjz said:
No such thing as a big club unless you happen to be in the 1st 6 or so of the premier league. We are not and have never been a big club. we have spent most of our history kicking around leagues 1 and 2 or if you prefer Div 3 and 4. Without mega investment it is where we will always be. Not popular for saying it but that is the truth. I have supported through thick and thin for 60 years and it aint gone to change in the foreseeable future. Truth is if you live in the extreme west we are lucky to get a mention in the weather forecast let alone a footie write up in the press or a mention ahead of an exeter side round or oval ball on Spotlight.

@Presto no nothing wrong with that comment everyone's intiteled to their opinion & that's yours I can see truths in that too, I mean my family as plymouthians & myself always say the South West starts & ends at Bristol sometimes & you can see why at times

May 16, 2016
BcbC2312":11lp6p3w said:
Presto":11lp6p3w said:

@Presto no nothing wrong with that comment everyone's intiteled to their opinion & that's yours I can see truths in that too, I mean my family as Plymothians & myself always say the South West starts & ends at Bristol sometimes & you can see why at times

Why do you out @ at the start of every response ?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
BcbC2312":fb9sdeqi said:
memory man":fb9sdeqi said:
BcbC2312":fb9sdeqi said:

@memory man very true I know from the history books there was originally 5 big major cities without top flight football post 1950, first Southampton 66 went up then Coventry 67 Norwich 72 then Hull 08 lastly poor us yet to join the other giants as we're the renowned sleeping ones, some great pointers though cause it's so true Bristol was pre prem in the early 1900's & 80's & yeah Vale's Burslem, i guess from a fans point we can dream as I know if we do it's only big towns & small cities as the biggest place without top flight i.e. Milton Keynes & Lincoln

Technically, Kingston-Upon-Hull was NOT the largest city to have not hosted top flight football in 2008 when Hull City reached the Premier League. (discounting Wakefield of course. Why? I don't know).

Between 2000 and 2017 this was held by the City of Brighton & Hove. Now before someone jumps in and says that Albion had four seasons in the First Division between 1979 and 1983, I will remind you that Brighton and Hove wasn't granted City Status until 2000 so technically by becoming a City they also gained this unfortunate distinction.