1) Riley the only casualty from the Walsall defeat with Tafari Moore coming straight in to claim a place. Other than that we were unchanged throughout the 18. Surprised a little we stuck with Wootton but we'll see if guess. Slight change to the warm up routine with our RM secondee taking the physical warm up.
2) Southend were far the better team over the first 15 minutes having one goal disallowed for off-side and two other good moves similarly caught. Argyle weren't showing much until a bit of Carey magic inspired a period of play which resulted in a cross which Moore was adjudged to be brought down by the linesman. Carey dispatched the penalty.
3) Argyle were put on the back foot again and it wasn't a great surprise that they forced a corner from which Argyle gave away their second penalty in as many games and the score was level again. Right after the penalty Taylor flattened a Southend player who went down holding his face. The Southend players surrounded the ref (again). Taylor got a yellow and Adams and Powell both saw red.
4) The half time whistle came as a bit of relief to Argyle who were second best all over the pitch. Carey had a much better 45 than last week but Lameiras again looked lost, too often out of position and exposing Moore. Wootton was a little untidy but it was in midfield that we weren't really working. Ness and Grant were fine as individuals but didn't seem to work right together.
5) Last week the half-time change came as a surprise, this week it felt like a necessity. There were none. It didn't get any better for the first 15 of the second with only poor finishing from Southend keeping the scores level. Lameiras duly was replaced by Sawyer with Smith-Brown moving into midfield and Carey to the right hand side.
6) Sawyer had a shocking first few minutes when nothing he did went right. Lack of movement up front was forcing us to pass sideways and we couldn't put a cohesive attack together. Wotton's answer was to replace Fox with Songo'o. 20 to go and Smith-Brown was replaced by Ladapo who made his way to wide left.
7) The game went into that phase where no one really took charge and the game could have gone either way. Free kicks in dangerous places went begging for both teams. Taylor was booked for a foul that was clearly a dive. Luckily the chance was missed. Carey went clear but his cross was too high for Ness. Southend threw away 2 golden chances in injury time.
8 ) Hard to pick a man-of-the-match. Moore and Ness both did well and Carey did OK but no one stood out. I'm still not convinced about Wootton and Edwards as a partnership. If Lameiras was meant to be stirred up by Adams' comments after Walsall he clearly wasn't.
9) If anything this was a worse performance than last week. Disjointed and lacking in direction. Too much lumping the ball forward for Taylor to do his best with. Songo'o added some much needed steel to the midfield. The plus was that Carey was more involved but he still wasn't 100%.
Matt Macey - 6
Tafari Moore - 7
Ryan Edwards - 6
Scott Wootton - 5
Ashley Smith-Brown - 7
David Fox - 7
Jamie Ness - 7
Connor Grant - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Graham Carey - 7
Ryan Taylor -6
Kyle Letheren - unused
Gary Sawyer - 5
Niall Canavan - unused
Yann Songo'o - 6
Joel Grant - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Freddie Ladapo - 5