Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adams - Further sanctions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:00 pm 
Player Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #2 18/19

Presto wrote:
Metal_Green_Mickey wrote:
I think if Adams wasn’t Argyle manager he would be looked at like many of the lower leagues managers we love to hate.

He is confrontational. He loves to wind up opposition managers and fans.

However, he is the Argyle manager so we excuse his bad behaviour. There are times it amusing and times where he goes too far. Personally, all l care about is how this impacts our players.

So far you have to say it brings the group of players together but l do fear he alienates people. If l was Ainsworth for example l would be thinking

1. Why on earth did you sign me?

2. Why have you never given me a run in the side, considering there has been some really poor results in the past 12 months?

I am not convinced Adams attitude and behaviour is any better than a lot of lower league managers we have berated on here but we are fickle fans and let it go mainly unnoticed because he has brought successful results and that means people will forgive a lot of his antics.

Absolute nonsense. Adams stands in the box, arms folded and rarely makes any emotional gestures. He has never been one for running back and forwards making wild gstures at one and all - as many managers do. Some people need to attend more games or open their eyes.

I’m a season ticket holder.

It’s not like he doesn’t have previous. Just look at his record at Ross County. We are talking a confrontation with Chris Powell here, hardly a Steve Evans is he? Powell shouldn’t of grabbed Adams. However, Adams shouldn’t of come out of his technical area and antagonise him. Are we honestly saying Adams doesn’t have any responsibility for his actions and that all those incidents at Ross County weren’t his fault either.

It’s all handbags at dawn. It’s what makes Adams and many other managers tick. It’s like great threatre with the odd occasional bad performance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 pm 

I couldn’t see what happened from the Lyndhurst. As I understand it, Ryan Taylor and Demetriou had a ‘coming together’ and Demetriou went to the ground as though he had been knocked unconscious.
Did he have to be substituted with a broken jaw or was he bleeding profusely? Was Taylor booked by the referee for that incident?
Can Powell not understand that Adams was annoyed that Cox was trying to suggest that Taylor, a fellow professional, should be sent off?
A ‘heat of the moment’ incident that both managers should be gentlemanly enough to resolve between themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:25 pm 

It's simply not true to say that Adams does this frequently.

Last edited by Cobi Budge on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm 

Likewise, on the Lyndhurst, but Taylor and Demetrou went up for a ball, Demetrou stayed down for longer than was really necessary. Cox came over to the fourth official, trying to persuade him that Taylor had used excessive force. Adams shouted at Cox to be quiet and Powell took exception. Both managers exchanged words and I think Powell then saw red and things escalated.

Prior to the match Powell talked about getting revenge - http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/16411012.shrimpers-boss-chris-is-seeking-revenge/

Centre back John White talksed about having a physical battle with Taylor and talks about how sharp Taylor's elbows were on Michael Turner's face the last time we met - http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/16411082.southend-united-defender-john-white-sets-away-day-targets/

It was obvious that Southend were going to target Taylor, because of the previous encounter last season and this incident is just one example of one team trying to influence the referee, and the other team getting on and trying to play football.

Unfortunately, Southend were the better team on the day, and we were fortunate to come away with a point. We didn't have many battlers, we didn't tackle, we tried to play football but it didn't work out. Southend were the stronger team with a much stronger will to win the ball.

It will be interesting to see what will happen in the return game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:51 pm 

I wasn't going to weigh in this heavily but I've got to be honest and say that I think some of the stuff posted on this thread is absolute garbage.

It almost seems like some people just want Adams to fail, and because they can't go after his record as a manager they're going to unfairly go after his character.

When we first appointed Adams, with the reports we were getting from Scottish fans & media, I was expecting this short tempered, controversial figure who would have weekly bust ups with opponents and maybe even his own players. I don't think that could be more wrong. What I've seen is a composed, sensible manager who very rarely looses his temper, and simply tries to gain a psychological edge at times. The vast majority of the time, Adams looks calm and composed in his thoughts on the touch line, like ALL managers, he occasionally becomes animated and these incidents are magnified in the media & therefore blown up.

As a fan I don't 'excuse' Adams for his 'antics' because I don't believe I need to. I'm happy to have a manager who cares about this club, a manager who has committed his long term future to the club, a manager who embraces the club, the fan base and the local community. On the occasions I've spoken to Derek Adams and asked him questions, I've always found him to be very polite, interested and very attentative to fans.

When he arrived at Argyle, he said "I'll look after your football club" and for me, he hasn't let us down in the slightest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:04 pm 

Cobi Budge wrote:
I wasn't going to weigh in this heavily but I've got to be honest and say that I think some of the stuff posted on this thread is absolute garbage.

It almost seems like some people just want Adams to fail, and because they can't go after his record as a manager they're going to unfairly go after his character.

When we first appointed Adams, with the reports we were getting from Scottish fans & media, I was expecting this short tempered, controversial figure who would have weekly bust ups with opponents and maybe even his own players. I don't think that could be more wrong. What I've seen is a composed, sensible manager who very rarely looses his temper, and simply tries to gain a psychological edge at times. The vast majority of the time, Adams looks calm and composed in his thoughts on the touch line, like ALL managers, he occasionally becomes animated and these incidents are magnified in the media & therefore blown up.

As a fan I don't 'excuse' Adams for his 'antics' because I don't believe I need to. I'm happy to have a manager who cares about this club, a manager who has committed his long term future to the club, a manager who embraces the club, the fan base and the local community. On the occasions I've spoken to Derek Adams and asked him questions, I've always found him to be very polite, interested and very attentative to fans.

When he arrived at Argyle, he said "I'll look after your football club" and for me, he hasn't let us down in the slightest.

:clap: :clap: :clap: . Accurate assessment to the word in my book Cobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 pm 

Forest of Dean Green wrote:
Cobi Budge wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: . Accurate assessment to the word in my book Cobi

Agreed - very good post Còbi. However, UTL has a point that Chris Powell is widely regarded as one of football's 'nice' guys so his actions were very out of character (apparently). So presumably DA did say or do something quite bad to provoke him? - or maybe even nice blokes sometimes lose it in the heat of the moment? - or more likely it was a bit if both where DA and CP both went a bit OTT and behaved badly....... but Hey, no one died, no,one was hurt, and I very much doubt either harbours any grudge. So what the Hell?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 am 

There is no Adams agenda from me in terms of wanting or getting him out of the football club. Adams will still be the Argyle manager even if we were relegated back to league two this season. Brent sees the future with Adams at the helm and even if he gets it badly wrong this season l think Brent gave him that 5 year deal because he trusts and believes him to get it right.

So this club, until Adams decides, will be run by him.

So l really am not wasting my breath thinking “Adams out” at any stage of any post I make.

Adams has got a 46% win ratio at Argyle. He is a manager who seemingly knows how to win more games than he loses. Being a successful manager means most fans with tolerate anything if their club is successful. I think that is why fans will always be on his side regarding his behaviour.

He isn’t going to fail because he has run ins with other managers and officials.

However it isn’t garbage when you see at Ross County he had an 18 game touchline ban. For the way he dealt with officials. This happened in 2010. So what are we saying? This type of fact is an inconvenient truth when describing his displinary record? I don’t care who you are to be banned for that length of time shows some kind of indiscipline issue. Especially when that ban covers more than one incident.

Ever since this time he has continued to have run ins with officials and managers in Scotland and England. The man has passion. I’ve got no problem with that. It’s great he cares.

You can differentiate between the different types of Derek Adams you may encounter. The Derek Adams that meets a fan is going to be different to the Derek Adams who’s involved in a high intensity match day environment. I’m sorry but there must be a number of nice mangers before or after a football match, but during it they are a different animal. Just like Derek Adams.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:13 am 
Site Admin, Player Sponsor #1 18/19, Player Sponsor #2 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19

Cobi Budge wrote:

Good post Cobi.

Agreed that there are some out there that desperately want DA to fail. Hell, they are that desperate that they want Argyle to fail...full stop!

I read an article on DA when he was appointed. Swearing? I doubt it very, very much. DA is a God-fearing Baptist and as such, profanities would not be used under any circumstances.

As for Powell...I'll take DA's word over Powell's, any day of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 am 
Player Sponsor #1 18/19

Cobi Budge wrote:

couldn't agree more.derek understands the supporters.there will always be the "english ailment" of wanting someone who is doing well to fail.i see this frequently in my business.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:47 am 

Simple.put the dugouts on opposite sides of the pitch, :funny:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:35 am 

I'd put good money on that Adams and Powell have already had a telephone conversation joking about it and telling each other what idiots they were. Heat of the moment stuff. I would also guess that Adams gets on very well with Gareth Ainsworth, not so sure about Steve Evans though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:43 am 

Metal_Green_Mickey wrote:
There is no Adams agenda from me in terms of wanting or getting him out of the football club. Adams will still be the Argyle manager even if we were relegated back to league two this season. Brent sees the future with Adams at the helm and even if he gets it badly wrong this season l think Brent gave him that 5 year deal because he trusts and believes him to get it right.

So this club, until Adams decides, will be run by him.

So l really am not wasting my breath thinking “Adams out” at any stage of any post I make.

Adams has got a 46% win ratio at Argyle. He is a manager who seemingly knows how to win more games than he loses. Being a successful manager means most fans with tolerate anything if their club is successful. I think that is why fans will always be on his side regarding his behaviour.

He isn’t going to fail because he has run ins with other managers and officials.

However it isn’t garbage when you see at Ross County he had an 18 game touchline ban. For the way he dealt with officials. This happened in 2010. So what are we saying? This type of fact is an inconvenient truth when describing his displinary record? I don’t care who you are to be banned for that length of time shows some kind of indiscipline issue. Especially when that ban covers more than one incident.

Ever since this time he has continued to have run ins with officials and managers in Scotland and England. The man has passion. I’ve got no problem with that. It’s great he cares.

You can differentiate between the different types of Derek Adams you may encounter. The Derek Adams that meets a fan is going to be different to the Derek Adams who’s involved in a high intensity match day environment. I’m sorry but there must be a number of nice mangers before or after a football match, but during it they are a different animal. Just like Derek Adams.

Sorry, absolute rubbish. That was 8 years ago when he last had a serious problem, he has been in charge of teams for around 500 games since then. Pretty much every manager has had problems similar to what happened on Saturday so making it sound like an ongoing and permanent behaviour is neither fair nor accurate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next