Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next
Author Message
Online
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:20 pm
themightykeithfear wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
Letheren looks to have got back in time but then loses his bearings and misses the ball. A keeper beaten ftom the opposition half HAS to be responsible and he will know it.


maybe so but hes a young lad and was his only mistake in the game, give him a break


It was the only thing of note he had to do! Would you say the same if it had cost us 2 points.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:22 pm 
Player Sponsor #2 18/19
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:26 pm
themightykeithfear wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
Letheren looks to have got back in time but then loses his bearings and misses the ball. A keeper beaten ftom the opposition half HAS to be responsible and he will know it.


maybe so but hes a young lad and was his only mistake in the game, give him a break


Young? Am I being whooshed?

Kyle turned 31 last month.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:44 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:33 pm
samjones wrote:
Andy_S wrote:
Nobby wrote:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.


Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!


Not so much defensive frailties but certainly a need for a proper keeper. Letheren has to take full responsibility for the 2nd goal


Totally agree. I’ve seen the 2nd Southend goal a few times and it’s just a speculative shot that whilst Letheren gets back to try to save it, he completely loses the flight of the ball and makes a hash of it. Poor goalkeeping to me, as I would expect most keepers to keep that effort out of the net. I still think we need a quality keeper, we are weak in that area. I hope DA recognises this and if Macey could go back to Arsenal that DA brings in a new keeper .. Matthews would be my 1st choice.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:49 am 

Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 4:47 pm
JannerinCardiff wrote:
samjones wrote:
Andy_S wrote:
Nobby wrote:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.


Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!


Not so much defensive frailties but certainly a need for a proper keeper. Letheren has to take full responsibility for the 2nd goal


Totally agree. I’ve seen the 2nd Southend goal a few times and it’s just a speculative shot that whilst Letheren gets back to try to save it, he completely loses the flight of the ball and makes a hash of it. Poor goalkeeping to me, as I would expect most keepers to keep that effort out of the net. I still think we need a quality keeper, we are weak in that area. I hope DA recognises this and if Macey could go back to Arsenal that DA brings in a new keeper .. Matthews would be my 1st choice.


Despite Matthews also being error prone, like his mistake at Portsmouth last year that cost us 2 points?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 am 
Auction Winner, Player Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #2 18/19
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:22 pm
Location: Pett, East Sussex
I'm not so sure i'm on this Matthews love bus. He has a rick in him as well. More commanding than Macey and more of a voice but Macey is a much better shot stopper IMO. Matthews coincided with our marvellous run last season. No accident i'm sure but he was THAT good as to be the saviour!
Right now we are on the edge of putting a run together with our No 2 being a solid understudy and being quite able. Yes 1 mistake, but worth dropping for? In the long run, yes we need to sign a good long term keeper. Kell Roos for me but that won't happen.

_________________
Hallett in!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am 
Player Sponsor #2 18/19

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:02 pm
Every goalkeeper at every level has a howler in him, this is only highlighted more than other positions as it usually leads to conceding a goal.

Kyle is OK at this level and is much more commanding and vocal than Macey. Matthews would be a massive improvement on them both though.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 am 

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:21 pm
Location: Tavistock
Andy_S wrote:
Nobby wrote:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.


Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!


I won’t dispute that the goals were more unfortunate than other times, but my point is wider than just that one game. We’re not going to score three goals every week and if that is the case, we will lose more than we win. Goals conceded are goals conceded however they go in. Surely you can’t dispute we desperately need a central defender and possibly a keeper?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:42 pm
Location: Winchelsea, East Sussex
Is this still the place for transfer rumours ?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/14/p ... s-roberts/

_________________
One half of PASTIES - Plymouth Argyle Supporters Trapped In East Sussex.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Online
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm 
Auction Winner and PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:52 pm
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:09 pm
Beyton_Green wrote:
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.


This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:30 pm
Pettgreen wrote:
I'm not so sure i'm on this Matthews love bus. He has a rick in him as well. More commanding than Macey and more of a voice but Macey is a much better shot stopper IMO. Matthews coincided with our marvellous run last season. No accident i'm sure but he was THAT good as to be the saviour!

Right now we are on the edge of putting a run together with our No 2 being a solid understudy and being quite able. Yes 1 mistake, but worth dropping for? In the long run, yes we need to sign a good long term keeper. Kell Roos for me but that won't happen.


This...Roos was the more impressive of the two


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:21 pm
Location: Tavistock
homepark_hobo wrote:
Beyton_Green wrote:
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.


This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.


Backup is the important word here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Online
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: Plymouth
Nobby wrote:
homepark_hobo wrote:
Beyton_Green wrote:
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.


This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.


Backup is the important word here.


Agreed, Letheren is good back up. If Wikipedia can be trusted, then his stats state at 31 years of age he has less then 100 games over his career. Most starts coming from a season in National League with York. This suggests he is a journeyman back up keeper. Previous managers and coaches must all feel that's his role and he must've been happy with that over his career. Which in my opinion shows a lack of desire to be number 1, or ability to be a number 1.

His recent starts that coincide with our 2 wins is of course great but there was 2 massive errors in my opinion. The halfway line goal and the oxford ball catch with luckily did not end up in the net. Macey also has been poor but at League 1 level in a team which needs to be climbing the league, neither are good enough to be number one. That to me seems completely obvious.

EDIT TO ADD: This doesn't mean I disagree with him being between the posts. I would rather him then Macey, I think he deserves his chance currently. Macey has been shameful. However,I would hope signing a player with the intention to play ahead of both is high up on the agenda!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abandonedhope, Allanon, Ave_IT, Beyton_Green, BoscombeGreen, Branksome Green, Bruce Springreens, BudeGreen73, castlegreen, Char, Chobham Green, Chortle, Chris Six Acre, colzion, Cussbagz, David_Fisher, Daz, dennis the menace, derbygreen, dick.argyle, dje49, dunlop, E I Addio, edmonds200, falmouthgreen, foreigner, FourMarksGreen, Geoff_Gartside, Google Adsense [Bot], Graham Evans, Green_Don, greenarmyman116, greendan47, Greenfrom83, Greenheart, GreensOnScreen, Guiri Green, Heathrow Green, IPA, jellyjazzer, John Cooper, justanotherfan, Keepitgreen, Keith4926, kernow19, keyser soze, KFA, L G, Lancastergreen, Larry David, LarryBignell, Liam Vercoe, Liam0752, LipsonJock, lipsonlad67, Lundan Cabbie, Lustymike9, macleanie, Mark Pedlar, mde203, meetoo, mercedes, Michael_Fleet, Mike Greening, ming the merciless, Mork, mulliongreen, NZ green, ogwellmike, PAFC is for life, pafcprogs, philevs, pingudad, plymouth1970, plymouthjoe, Plymuffbey, Pottypilgrim, ProfGreen, Raydog, Redruth Boy, robbieB, Ron_Tate, Ross, rsp4, s.whitey92, saffronwalden green, SatisfiedinSouthway, Sean, skyblue_boy, stewthenoo, subbuteo, sundance, themightykeithfear, thirskgreen, Thomas Edwards, TinTin, Tom Cobbley, TonbridgeGreen, tonsk, tonycholwell, TonyD, watkin, Wotton is God, xmastree and 967 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Developed by Vertical Plus Ltd