Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 pm 

themightykeithfear wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
Letheren looks to have got back in time but then loses his bearings and misses the ball. A keeper beaten ftom the opposition half HAS to be responsible and he will know it.

maybe so but hes a young lad and was his only mistake in the game, give him a break

It was the only thing of note he had to do! Would you say the same if it had cost us 2 points.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:22 pm 
Player Sponsor #2 18/19

themightykeithfear wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
Letheren looks to have got back in time but then loses his bearings and misses the ball. A keeper beaten ftom the opposition half HAS to be responsible and he will know it.

maybe so but hes a young lad and was his only mistake in the game, give him a break

Young? Am I being whooshed?

Kyle turned 31 last month.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:44 am 

samjones wrote:
Andy_S wrote:
Nobby wrote:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.

Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!

Not so much defensive frailties but certainly a need for a proper keeper. Letheren has to take full responsibility for the 2nd goal

Totally agree. I’ve seen the 2nd Southend goal a few times and it’s just a speculative shot that whilst Letheren gets back to try to save it, he completely loses the flight of the ball and makes a hash of it. Poor goalkeeping to me, as I would expect most keepers to keep that effort out of the net. I still think we need a quality keeper, we are weak in that area. I hope DA recognises this and if Macey could go back to Arsenal that DA brings in a new keeper .. Matthews would be my 1st choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:49 am 

JannerinCardiff wrote:
samjones wrote:
Andy_S wrote:
Nobby wrote:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.

Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!

Not so much defensive frailties but certainly a need for a proper keeper. Letheren has to take full responsibility for the 2nd goal

Totally agree. I’ve seen the 2nd Southend goal a few times and it’s just a speculative shot that whilst Letheren gets back to try to save it, he completely loses the flight of the ball and makes a hash of it. Poor goalkeeping to me, as I would expect most keepers to keep that effort out of the net. I still think we need a quality keeper, we are weak in that area. I hope DA recognises this and if Macey could go back to Arsenal that DA brings in a new keeper .. Matthews would be my 1st choice.

Despite Matthews also being error prone, like his mistake at Portsmouth last year that cost us 2 points?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 am 
Auction Winner, Player Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #2 18/19

I'm not so sure i'm on this Matthews love bus. He has a rick in him as well. More commanding than Macey and more of a voice but Macey is a much better shot stopper IMO. Matthews coincided with our marvellous run last season. No accident i'm sure but he was THAT good as to be the saviour!
Right now we are on the edge of putting a run together with our No 2 being a solid understudy and being quite able. Yes 1 mistake, but worth dropping for? In the long run, yes we need to sign a good long term keeper. Kell Roos for me but that won't happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am 
Player Sponsor #2 18/19

Every goalkeeper at every level has a howler in him, this is only highlighted more than other positions as it usually leads to conceding a goal.

Kyle is OK at this level and is much more commanding and vocal than Macey. Matthews would be a massive improvement on them both though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 am 

Andy_S wrote:
Nobby wrote:

Oh for crying out loud!

I won’t dispute that the goals were more unfortunate than other times, but my point is wider than just that one game. We’re not going to score three goals every week and if that is the case, we will lose more than we win. Goals conceded are goals conceded however they go in. Surely you can’t dispute we desperately need a central defender and possibly a keeper?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm 

Is this still the place for transfer rumours ?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/14/p ... s-roberts/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm 
Auction Winner and PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19

Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 pm 

Beyton_Green wrote:
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.

This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm 

Pettgreen wrote:
I'm not so sure i'm on this Matthews love bus. He has a rick in him as well. More commanding than Macey and more of a voice but Macey is a much better shot stopper IMO. Matthews coincided with our marvellous run last season. No accident i'm sure but he was THAT good as to be the saviour!

Right now we are on the edge of putting a run together with our No 2 being a solid understudy and being quite able. Yes 1 mistake, but worth dropping for? In the long run, yes we need to sign a good long term keeper. Kell Roos for me but that won't happen.

This...Roos was the more impressive of the two

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm 

homepark_hobo wrote:
Beyton_Green wrote:

This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.

Backup is the important word here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:12 pm 

Nobby wrote:
homepark_hobo wrote:
Beyton_Green wrote:

Backup is the important word here.

Agreed, Letheren is good back up. If Wikipedia can be trusted, then his stats state at 31 years of age he has less then 100 games over his career. Most starts coming from a season in National League with York. This suggests he is a journeyman back up keeper. Previous managers and coaches must all feel that's his role and he must've been happy with that over his career. Which in my opinion shows a lack of desire to be number 1, or ability to be a number 1.

His recent starts that coincide with our 2 wins is of course great but there was 2 massive errors in my opinion. The halfway line goal and the oxford ball catch with luckily did not end up in the net. Macey also has been poor but at League 1 level in a team which needs to be climbing the league, neither are good enough to be number one. That to me seems completely obvious.

EDIT TO ADD: This doesn't mean I disagree with him being between the posts. I would rather him then Macey, I think he deserves his chance currently. Macey has been shameful. However,I would hope signing a player with the intention to play ahead of both is high up on the agenda!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next