Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: F1 2019
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm 

My annual stab at guessing the order of the constructors - didn't do terribly last year, guessed Williams being terrible at least. Looks fairly nailed on that they'll be bottom of the pile again this year. Prediction:

1. Ferrari
2. Mercedes
3. RB
4. Renault
5. Haas
6. McLaren
7. Toro Rosso
8. Alfa Romeo
9. Racing Point
10. Williams

I'm tipping Leclerc for the title ahead of Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 am 

Anyone watched the new F1 Docu-Series on Netflix - "Drive to Survive"

Just finished all 10 episodes. Not too much to entertain the seasoned F1 fan but a good introduction for someone who's new to the sport or not been quite reeled in yet. Also some good insights behind the scenes!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 pm 

El Green wrote:

Just finished all 10 episodes. Not too much to entertain the seasoned F1 fan but a good introduction for someone who's new to the sport or not been quite reeled in yet. Also some good insights behind the scenes!

I was put off bothering when I read that Mercedes and Ferrari had denied them access. Is that right?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm 

MickyD wrote:
El Green wrote:

I was put off bothering when I read that Mercedes and Ferrari had denied them access. Is that right?

I read that too, pretty poor from the two biggest teams, apparently Gunther Steiner from Haas is good entertainment though!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:21 pm 

Dan Ellard wrote:
My annual stab at guessing the order of the constructors - didn't do terribly last year, guessed Williams being terrible at least. Looks fairly nailed on that they'll be bottom of the pile again this year. Prediction:

1. Ferrari
2. Mercedes
3. RB
4. Renault
5. Haas
6. McLaren
7. Toro Rosso
8. Alfa Romeo
9. Racing Point
10. Williams

I'm tipping Leclerc for the title ahead of Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen.

I think I might drop McLaren down a place or two. I hope not, but there's no Alonso to drag them up this time, and 14th and 18th in each practice so far doesn't bode well. As for Williams - oh dear. Plumb last by a mile both times.

And Leclerc to win? Bold! That would be quite something, and would certainly shake things up nicely. (And imagine what it would do to Verstappen's - not to mention Vettel's - state of mind...)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:24 am 

It took me a while, but I just realised that there's no Ted Kravitz on Sky - obviously I wasn't missing him.

Following a quick Google, I find that he was given the boot over winter by the new Sky Sports boss but has been reinstated in some capacity. He's going to do a Midweek Debrief show and, from what I read, he might be returning to the live GP coverage as well. I can't say I'll be too upset if he doesn't. As I've said before on these F1 threads, I think he's OK when he's on his own and talking technical, but as soon as he interacts with anyone else I just cringe. Karun Chandhok, by contrast, actually knows how to talk to people. (And it seems that poor Chandhok, for having had the temerity to take a job at Sky F1, has been subject to some pretty disgusting treatment on social media by Kravitz "fans" - surprise!)

(I'm up in the early hours for the qualifying. How sad am I?)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:24 pm 

I really like Ted Kravitz's technical input and passion for F1. Personally I think Chandhok should be in the commentary box with Brundle retaking over as the lead commentator which he did a few years ago on the BBC. David Croft is a truly awful commentator. I much prefer Ben Edwards or James Allen.

Looking forward to the race in the early hours tomorrow. Got a few beers in the fridge for the morning. Oh and what a great performance from Lando Norris in qualifying... Norris and George Russell have such potential to last long in F1.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:49 am 
Site Admin, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

While David Croft is a bit of a tit, his relationship with Brundle is good. I don’t like James Allen as a commentator, although he writes good articles for the press. And Ben Edwards is awful, but maybe because he sounds like the comedian David Mitchell taking the pi$$.

I also watch MotoGP and the commentary team of Keith Hewen and Neil Hodgson are fantastic, although I miss Julian Ryder as Keith’s sidekick. Something like Martin Brundle and Jenson Button would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 am 

Well done Bottas.. that was a crushing victory!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:48 am 

GreenThing wrote:
While David Croft is a bit of a tit, his relationship with Brundle is good. I don’t like James Allen as a commentator, although he writes good articles for the press. And Ben Edwards is awful, but maybe because he sounds like the comedian David Mitchell taking the pi$$.

I also watch MotoGP and the commentary team of Keith Hewen and Neil Hodgson are fantastic, although I miss Julian Ryder as Keith’s sidekick. Something like Martin Brundle and Jenson Button would be great.

I remember James Allen getting loads of stick when he took over from Murray Walker a few years ago. I think he's the best of a mediocre bunch, with Edwards being the worst.

https://www.thecalmzone.net/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 pm 

Great result for Merc, of course, but what happened to all this talk of Ferrari mounting a genuine and sustained challenge this year? Very early days, but Ferrari nearly a minute behind Bottas? Not good, however you cut it. You know there's something amiss when you hear Vettel ask "Why are we so slow?" and the pit reply "We don't know."

And nice one Lando Norris - very solid start, and nearly nicked a point. George Russell - well, what can you say about the Williams that hasn't already been said? At least they finished, but it looks like another long and painful season at the back for them.

Commentators: I also find Crofty a bit of a tit, but I'm fine with him in conjunction with Martin Brundle, who talks oodles of common sense, in and out of the commentary box, and also clearly has a very solid understanding of mechanics (not the spanner-wielders, the branch of physics).

I'm probably going to commit sacrilege now, but in the latter years of his commentating career I found Murray Walker a real pain to listen to. I'd always found him (and his voice) a bit OTT, TBH, OMG, WTF, LOL, but I genuinely wondered - and I mean no offence - if senility was setting in later on. At times the stuff he missed, and the things he got wrong, were quite disturbing to witness in a man steeped in decades of racing lore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 pm 
Site Admin, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

Brussels Bureaucrat wrote:
GreenThing wrote:

I remember James Allen getting loads of stick when he took over from Murray Walker a few years ago. I think he's the best of a mediocre bunch, with Edwards being the worst.

Edwards wasn’t the worst, that mantle must go to Jonathan Legard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:00 am 

The-Pilgrim wrote:
MickyD wrote:
El Green wrote:

I read that too, pretty poor from the two biggest teams, apparently Gunther Steiner from Haas is good entertainment though!

Correct, behind-the-scenes access was denied by Merc and Ferrari, I imagine for competitive reasons, which is a shame. But in a way is a good thing as it concentrates on some of the lesser known, but by no means less interesting, narratives. Such as the rise of Haas, William's struggles, the in-house conflicts and rivalry between highly competitive sportsmen as well as much, much more...

I was at a birthday dinner this weekend and a number of the guys had given it a go, none of whom were big F1 fans by any means. All now said they'd be watching/following this season with greater, renewed interest as a result of the doc.

Would recommend giving it a go, especially if you find yourself devoid of good tv options.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next