Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Budget for next season article
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:30 pm 

TBH this is farcical at this stage of the season.
I write a 5 year business plan, with a more detailed 1 yr business plan annually and I do it at least 3 months in advance as it can take up to a month to produce all the figures.

At the end of the day it my best guesstimate of the market and for 2019 I had 2 versions of it, with or without Brexit.

To think DA does not already have an upper and lower budget scenario would be complete madness but I guess the issue is the lower case scenario is probably not enough to keep the likes of Lameiras and GC10 and without exact figures he can't make a final meaningful contract offer unless the player will accept less than what they are already on.
Lameiras stock is still probably on the rise but with GC10 being older and towards the back end of his career his may have plateaued now.

Either way the players will be keeping their options open anyway and have all the power in this situation now which is the real issue for me.
No club in their right mind lets their best 2 players contracts run down so they can just go for no fee !!!
Complete incompetency IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:22 pm 

You could offer your best Players new Contracts 6 Months before they could go on a Free. They've then got 6 Months worth of bargaining chips for their Agents to tout around. Get them a better deal with a nice Signing on Fee.

Offer them more than they're on now, and it's highly likely they'll commit to nothing before the last few weeks. Maybe if it's a Guy with a settled family, School, house etc, he might go for it, but to suggest that the Club lets it run down through incompetency is a bit wide of the mark.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:45 pm 

Always struggled to work out why some fans are so desperate to know our budget and what we pay - none of our business. Other clubs don't publish info on budget and pay so why should we? Until others did, knowing ours would be pretty useless with nothing to compare it to.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:54 pm 

The reason it is incompetence is because if we have a long term plan and are committed to it players we want to keep should be offered longer contracts and extensions well before the final year of their existing contract..

There will always be a team offering better wages so I'm resigned to losing both Lameiras and Carey this summer.

If we had been pushing for promotion we may have convinced them to stay with the chance of championship football
You can see the frustration on GCs face with the ability of some of our players and he desperately wants to be in a winning team and not one fighting relegation every season

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:20 pm 

rsp4 wrote:
Yea I was worried by this a little. Surely brains that size know what DA can offer to Rubes and GC10 around the budget.

To be honest DA sounds a bit frustrated by it all as well.

I got that impression that DA is frustrated too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:13 pm 
Player Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #2 18/19

samjones wrote:
TBH this is farcical at this stage of the season.
I write a 5 year business plan, with a more detailed 1 yr business plan annually and I do it at least 3 months in advance as it can take up to a month to produce all the figures.

At the end of the day it my best guesstimate of the market and for 2019 I had 2 versions of it, with or without Brexit.

To think DA does not already have an upper and lower budget scenario would be complete madness but I guess the issue is the lower case scenario is probably not enough to keep the likes of Lameiras and GC10 and without exact figures he can't make a final meaningful contract offer unless the player will accept less than what they are already on.
Lameiras stock is still probably on the rise but with GC10 being older and towards the back end of his career his may have plateaued now.

Either way the players will be keeping their options open anyway and have all the power in this situation now which is the real issue for me.
No club in their right mind lets their best 2 players contracts run down so they can just go for no fee !!!
Complete incompetency IMHO

I would love to see your business plans, Sam; particularly if they are as reliable as your predictions about Argyle.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:05 pm 
Auction Winner

Manager moans about budget shocker!

It amazes me that Adams recieves so much criticism for what he says in the press. To the point that some on here accuse him of almost lying.

Now hes speaking the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:52 am 
Site Admin

If this is all true what a shocking way to run a football club.

This isn't a budget for next season we're actually talking here it's the budget for 3 months time. Planning for the new year should already be well under way so that we are ready to hit the ground running the day after the season finishes. It's not only current players; Adams needs to be able to start identifying targets for next year, how on earth can he be expected to do that if the chairman hasn't even told him whether we can even pay our current crop?

The lack of movement in January worried me; a few loan signings, an out of contract journeyman and a chairman bleating on about it "not always being about results" hardly showed that we were doing everything possible in our fight to survive. The summer is a defining window for our new chair; does he have the ambition to take this club forward or is he happy watching us stagnate after year on year improvement under JB.

The clock is ticking Mr Hallett, the rest of the league won't wait around for you to set a budget. Your manager should be out there finding us the players to ensure this half season of garbage doesn't happen 3 years in a row, he shouldn't be sat twiddling his thumbs waiting for you to react.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:42 am 

It’s just typical Plymouth Argyle isn’t it. But they are going for dinner so no need to worry, all best laid plans are done in the pub over a few beers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:23 pm 

Why is everyone so quick to believe one article in the Herald as gospel truth?!! It's not like DA doesn't have a history of bluffing/double bluffing even about line-ups/injuries etc. Sam is quite right to point out that he has a 5 year plan for his own business, but that doesn't mean to say he shares every last detail with potential competitors. No business runs on 3 month plans and no football team, even Argyle, runs on the basis of negotiating players contracts via the back page of the local rag. Or have I missed something here?!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm 
Site Admin, Auction Winner and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

GoGoGreen wrote:
Why is everyone so quick to believe one article in the Herald as gospel truth?!! It's not like DA doesn't have a history of bluffing/double bluffing even about line-ups/injuries etc. Sam is quite right to point out that he has a 5 year plan for his own business, but that doesn't mean to say he shares every last detail with potential competitors. No business runs on 3 month plans and no football team, even Argyle, runs on the basis of negotiating players contracts via the back page of the local rag. Or have I missed something here?!

The comments from Adams was also on the club website where it's easier to read and gives clicks to the club website.

club website

By this time last year (13 March) the club had already announced season ticket details for this season so the lack of information about a budget for Adams for season 2019/20 might be because the season ticket prices haven't been set.

Despite the communication technology available the club can't stand still until Simon Hallett visits every few months.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:52 pm 

Perhaps the board are worried which division we will be in next season!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:43 pm 

There is also a little bit of building going on at the moment. Maybe the extent and timing of that work is having an impact on the budgetary process?