Happy 67th Birthday - Paul Mariner | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Happy 67th Birthday - Paul Mariner

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Wishing a very happy birthday today to the legendary ex-Argyle striker, the one and only Paul Mariner.
Was the very first player to catch my eye when I first started going to HP. Although he didn’t come through the system at Argyle, we were his first professional club and I think it’s fair to say he was a great Argyle product. Such a shame we couldn’t hold on to him, but the call of the top flight was too strong and the fact that he played for England in the same season he moved to Ipswich, tells its own story.

I remember his very last goal at HP, a header against Cardiff at the Devonport End. It rained that day too to end the famous 76 drought. Probably the last truly great striker to have been ‘produced' by Argyle. Let’s hope we have another in Jephcott.

Hope he’s safe and well wherever he is now. It was sad it didn’t work out for him as Argyle manager back in the day, but I suppose it was predictable given his lack of experience at any significant level.

Happy 67th birthday Paul Mariner.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Blimey, is Paul really 67? I must be getting old.

Happy memories, especially from that 1974/75 season. Life-shaping memories in many ways, although I didn't realise it at the time as a 14-year old.

Happy birthday Paul :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The greatest Argyle player I've ever seen. From his debut I knew that he'd go to the very top of the game.

With one of my favourite players ever, Billy Rafferty, those two brought real pride to us Argyle fans in those days.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
FourMarksGreen":35tjqgwq said:
Blimey, is Paul really 67? I must be getting old.

Happy memories, especially from that 1974/75 season. Life-shaping memories in many ways, although I didn't realise it at the time as a 14-year old.

Happy birthday Paul :scarf:

After reading DGO's piece I was just about to reply by saying, 'Blimey! Is PM 67?' - so 'you took the words right out of my mouth'! :lol:

It's strange how time plays tricks on the mind. To me, Paul Mariner will always be in his early twenties with shoulder length black hair and sporting the green and white vertical stripes of Argyle. To think that he was only a year older than me is a sobering thought indeed... :eh:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
mervyn":37bel6ah said:
Lived in East Anglia in those days and saw his debut at Ipswich. Supporters couldn’t believe their luck, but all down to the shrewdness of Bobby Robson.

Did you see him at Portman Road against Liverpool in that first season Mervyn? From memory he scored the winner that day on a cold November afternoon. My mate was a Liverpool supporter and we drove all the way up there from Plymouth. Just knew Mariner would score.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
IJN":6hw3x5f9 said:
The greatest Argyle player I've ever seen. From his debut I knew that he'd go to the very top of the game.

With one of my favourite players ever, Billy Rafferty, those two brought real pride to us Argyle fans in those days.

We don’t always see eye to eye, but have to agree there’s no doubt about it - he was the best striker/player we’ve had in the last fifty years at least. Him and King Billy surely must be the best strike pair ever to wear the green shirt of Argyle.

There was a buzz around Argyle for a short while in the mid-70’s. Look at some of the players coming through the youth system then - Megson, Hodge, Phillips etc. All went on to become good players in the top flight. I used to go and watch the reserves regularly back then, remember seeing Ralph Coates and Martin Chivers turn out for Spurs reserves coming back from injuries.

Then it all went pear-shaped. :tumbleweed:

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
loyal1970":22d8cdlp said:
good player clueless manager.
Didn't think it would be long before someone had a pop at him. Was in an impossible situation here.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Neil always sees the negative, but on this occasion he's bang on. Not a clue, the same as the bloke who signed him up.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
You obviously didn’t rate Waiters by the look of it. Can you elaborate on your thoughts because I’m sure it would be interesting to those who perhaps weren’t aware of the behind the scenes stuff back then. It’s probably been discussed many times before but as Mariner was the greatest player the club ever had, it would certainly be interesting to know a bit more about what went on back then. I first saw Argyle and Mariner in 75 and of course the following season he was gone.

I just remember the dismay amongst the supporters and then the disbelief at the two bang average players we got in exchange for him, Austin and Peddelty (another Aimson from memory).

At today’s prices Mariner would have sold for millions. :sigh:

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
IJN":3w0s17bp said:

Golden times, I thought it would always be like that....

Jan 8, 2006
That brace for me at Chelsea away. My dad got the tickets in the Chelsea home stand - what a plonker! We went 2 down at half time and the fans around me knew I was Argyle with my hat and scarf on. They kept pushing, poking and laughing at me. Paul got one back in the second half and I stood up, turned around and waved my scarf - they were not happy! Right at the end he got the equalizer and dad made us leave before the end. They were definitely not happy then. Great day out for a teenage lad and to see all the Argyle fans on the open terrace to the left of me.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
nick623":30zx88um said:
That brace for me at Chelsea away. My dad got the tickets in the Chelsea home stand - what a plonker! We went 2 down at half time and the fans around me knew I was Argyle with my hat and scarf on. They kept pushing, poking and laughing at me. Paul got one back in the second half and I stood up, turned around and waved my scarf - they were not happy! Right at the end he got the equalizer and dad made us leave before the end. They were definitely not happy then. Great day out for a teenage lad and to see all the Argyle fans on the open terrace to the left of me.

Someone obviously had no knowledge of the reputation of supporters in The Shed. I was spending time working in London, saw that match, and I knew enough to be careful on the Underground after any home match on changing trains at Earls Court station.