First Argyle Game | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Argyle Game

Mar 21, 2013
No idea of what my first game was but my first memories were Dave Kemp being Manager, fences up in the old Devonport, crowds of around 4,000 & my Dad wanting to get into the car park around 3hrs before the game started so we could park where the grass bank area separated the 2 car parks. We‘d go into the ground around an hour before the game so we could get a crush barrier to lean on, be bored shitless as a youngster waiting for at least the teams to come out to warm up so they’d be something to watch, be the last to leave the ground & one of the last cars to drive out of the car park by the policeman controlling the lights. That was a long day for a kid.

Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
A 4-2 home win over Shrewsbury in March 1970 - Derek Richard got a hat-trick.

By the time I went to my second game two years later, my best friend’s dad had shown me his notebook in which he'd recorded details of every match he’d ever been to. This inspired me to follow suit and the six exercise books documenting the 818 games (593 Argyle) I’ve been to to date are among my most precious possessions
I've done the same, recording every game I've attended, Argyle et al. 1483 up to the Hull game last week. Just for my own anorak!

Reactions: getyourbootson
Jan 2, 2023
1968 Argyle 2 Blackpool 2
Norman Piper instantly became my favourite player..he later played at Home Park for England U23 v Bulgaria

Jun 2, 2016
No idea of what my first game was but my first memories were Dave Kemp being Manager, fences up in the old Devonport, crowds of around 4,000 & my Dad wanting to get into the car park around 3hrs before the game started so we could park where the grass bank area separated the 2 car parks. We‘d go into the ground around an hour before the game so we could get a crush barrier to lean on, be bored shitless as a youngster waiting for at least the teams to come out to warm up so they’d be something to watch, be the last to leave the ground & one of the last cars to drive out of the car park by the policeman controlling the lights. That was a long day for a kid.
Quite similar experience for me, but David Kemp was a player. Around 1980. Remember being enamoured by the beautiful green pitch , although the terraces were pretty empty.
First away game was Exeter. Stood on what would now be the Big Bank. Was quite normal apparently.

Apr 19, 2008
Cornwall
Mine was in October 2003 against Blackpool. My first visit to Home Park with my Dad. We won 1-0 with a Marino Keith goal. Have been hooked ever since!

May 18, 2022
At home to Oldham athletic 75. drew 2-2 pitch was a squad mire . Ball wouldn't travel along the ground. Let lone bounce . Players were filthy .. unlike today's prima donna

TaviGreen1990

✅ Evergreen
Nov 3, 2022
End of the season 1995/1996 at home to Hartlepool 3-0. Dad wouldn’t let me go to the Colchester playoff game as it was too late for me. Mick Heathcote became an instant hero to me more than happy shunning the Premier League.