Correct team names (split thread) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Correct team names (split thread)

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Split from the Transfer Rumours thread. Admin.
-----------------

Sorry this is going to sound very pedantic.
But Sporting CP, who reportedly are interested in MW, do NOT have Lisbon in their name.
It's even worse than calling us Plymouth since that is actually part of our name.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
But Sporting CP, who reportedly are interested in MW, do NOT have Lisbon in their name.
It's even worse than calling us Plymouth since that is actually part of our name.
Yes it is a little pedantic. The Lisbon is generally added for the benefit of non Portuguese football fans and is how they are known outside of Portugal.. The same as in the UK you know the Basque club as Athletico Bilbao whereas the Spanish simply refer to them as Atletico or Athletic Club.

Reactions: woollygreen

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Yes it is a little pedantic. The Lisbon is generally added for the benefit of non Portuguese football fans and is how they are known outside of Portugal.. The same as in the UK you know the Basque club as Athletico Bilbao whereas the Spanish simply refer to them as Atletico or Athletic Club.
Sporting fans really don't like it since it isn't part of their name.
Bilbao (or Bilboko) features in both the Spanish and Basque official names for Athletic and in their badge, so not really the same.
I doubt many people around the world refer to Arsenal as Arsenal London by just randomly adding a word to their name that isn't in it.

From wiki:
The designation "Sporting Lisbon", a common way some foreign media and non-Portuguese speaking people use to refer to Sporting CP outside Portugal,[1] has been a source of contention and controversy for some sportinguistas[135][2] because it does not conform with the official name of the sports club and its brand value.[136] Regarding this issue, club supporters and officials have promoted awareness campaigns to raise people's awareness nationwide and internationally, and the club changed its official crest in 2001[137] with a focus on the name of the club and its words "Sporting" and "Portugal" in mind.[4][138][139][5]

Oct 18, 2022
I hate to be that guy, buuuuut... They most definitely are not referred to as Atletico whether in Spain or anywhere else. It's Athletic, and there are very good historical reasons why. For the record their fans also dislike being referred to as Bilbao, just as we dislike being called Plymouth.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I think it's for the benefit of ignorant foreigners - the same could be said of Rangers and Celtic, neither of whom have ‘Glasgow’ in their names.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I hate to be that guy, buuuuut... They most definitely are not referred to as Atletico whether in Spain or anywhere else. It's Athletic, and there are very good historical reasons why. For the record their fans also dislike being referred to as Bilbao, just as we dislike being called Plymouth.
Don't hate it you are quite correct. It is Athletic or Athletic Club for Bilbao's team and Atletico Madrid who use both names.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Don't hate it you are quite correct. It is Athletic or Athletic Club for Bilbao's team and Atletico Madrid who use both names.
Lost count of the number of times I've corrected people who say Athletico Madrid. 😂

My ex's grandparents lived a 5 min walk from the old Calderón and it's always Atléti to the fans 😉

Mind you, my ex was a Rayo fan.

Nov 25, 2011
And funnily enough I keep hearing Atletico Madrid pronounced as Athletico. It is not "aTH". Furthemore, Internazionale are NEVER referred to in Italy as Inter Milan. Milan are known by their English name reflecting their origins. Inter or Internazionale are their rivals - no mention of "Milan".

• Snore
Reactions: HarlHM
Apr 2, 2024
I know we prefer Argyle rather than Plymouth…..but why does it matter?

Oct 19, 2021
I know we prefer Argyle rather than Plymouth…..but why does it matter?
It’s true. I always call the club Argyle as I’m from the area, but for anyone who has ever moved away from Devon they soon get used to saying Plymouth when speaking to others and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. I’ve no idea why it matters, are people ashamed of the city or something? In all honesty there’s nothing more cringy than hearing new signings call the club Argyle in their first interviews when it’s obvious they’ve been instructed to do so.

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Lost count of the number of times I've corrected people who say Athletico Madrid. 😂

My ex's grandparents lived a 5 min walk from the old Calderón and it's always Atléti to the fans 😉

Mind you, my ex was a Rayo fan.
It’s like people talking about Notts Forest and Nottingham County……

Reactions: Mark58