Liam Rosenior!! | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Liam Rosenior!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whichever of Soton and Leeds don't go up could be looking for a new manager. Probably Sheff U also
Sheffield United very unlikely. Wilder suggested on his appointment that staying up would be a miracle, and that his appointment was for the long term. Leeds very likely, as there seems to have been an assumption throughout the club that their return was inevitable.

Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
Anyone looking for why Liam Rosenior might be a perfect fit for Argyle should read this EFL article (see below). He seems well placed to develop the 'One Argyle' philosophy even further with his conduct, manner, candour and drive in a footballing geographic outpost as Hull were. I just wonder if the bruising of the departure from a club and a city he loved means he might want some time out. We'll see.

Those quotes could almost be a perfect interview for the job. Also backs up what I posted earlier, hull were a work in progress this season and he was ready for a go at promotion next season. They were unlucky not to get play offs. These things take time which many clubs don't have the patience for.

It's seems probable both parties would be interested in discussions but as always will come down to money; 1) his salary, although a young manager he did just sign a 3 year contract in January which would have put his salary on a par with the average manager at least. Can we afford that? 2) playing budget, will he want to step down to our budget knowing a championship job is never far away.

My shortlist of those mentioned.

Rosenior
Skubala
The Brighton coach sorry forget his name😂

A nice range of experiences to select from there. First choice rosenior....

Oh another doubt....I think we seem to be a 3atb club now and does that fit LR?

Oct 19, 2021
Would he? Hull fans saying he was too defensive at home. I’ve heard that before somewhere and then we sacked our manager after 3 months. If he comes in and loses 10 in a row he’ll be sacked just like any other club.
Yes of course all clubs would sack a manager for underperforming. But Hull have made good progress under him (even their owner says so) and yet he still got sacked. There is no chance that Argyle would remove him for making progress in the Championship.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Those quotes could almost be a perfect interview for the job. Also backs up what I posted earlier, hull were a work in progress this season and he was ready for a go at promotion next season. They were unlucky not to get play offs. These things take time which many clubs don't have the patience for.

It's seems probable both parties would be interested in discussions but as always will come down to money; 1) his salary, although a young manager he did just sign a 3 year contract in January which would have put his salary on a par with the average manager at least. Can we afford that? 2) playing budget, will he want to step down to our budget knowing a championship job is never far away.

My shortlist of those mentioned.

Rosenior
Skubala
The Brighton coach sorry forget his name😂

A nice range of experiences to select from there. First choice rosenior....

Oh another doubt....I think we seem to be a 3atb club now and does that fit LR?
I don't think we're necessarily a 3 atb club now , although Dewy and Nance reverted to that for the run in. I think the clubs playing ethos is attractive, attacking football,preferably possession based ( though in the Championship, likely to be more a counter attacking style), the formation is likely to be less rigid and 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 can be equally entertaining.

Dec 28, 2023
Exactly.

I actually remember talking about Rosenior as a potential option before we appointed Ryan Lowe back in 2019, he was the U23’s or perhaps the U21’s boss at Brighton then, although it was mainly his punditry that I was impressed by.

Castle Motors isn't it? Between Liskeard and Trerulefoot. They hire out choppers.
Aren't there any marines looking for a bit of moonlighting in next few days?

Reactions: Andy S
Dec 28, 2023
There's so much there that's reminiscent of SS and so many assurances we wouldn't have a Foster MKII. Building a positive culture, treating players like human beings, letting them express themselves on the pitch etc etc.

I also had no idea he was so connected to Hull, beyond football. Really interesting (y)
Can he handle the sub tropical climate here in Plymouth after being used to the E Yorkshire tundra?

Reactions: Moleman
Dec 20, 2022
View attachment 15303Obviously he hasn't joined us yet.

However in time honoured tradition, (we did it with Holloway) messages can be left on here and we can make sure that he will see them.

Come on Pasoti'ites what would your message be to the new Gaffer?
Works for both sides and we prove in the past we will push the boat out for the right candidate (lowe)

Pro's - Knows the Division. Outperformed budget, young, could do the head coach role, plays right type of football, The obvious candidate Barry) not available until July..
Cons - Wage expectations, could he outperform budget, Sunderland job also available, we tend to prefer more and upcoming manager

Jan 12, 2023
He’s definitely worth an interview if he wants one, but some of the criticism coming out of the hull camp is that his attacking play with too slow not enough quick progression. Just a note of caution for me. 24th in league for direct speed. Soton and Leicester were also near the bottom in this aspect, so it is the modern way, but fans need to buy into that slow possession based build up. maresca was being criticised by Leicester fans for this approach. So a rosenior coached team won’t be necessarily playing break neck fast attacking football.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
He’s definitely worth an interview if he wants one, but some of the criticism coming out of the hull camp is that his attacking play with too slow not enough quick progression. Just a note of caution for me. 24th in league for direct speed. Soton and Leicester were also near the bottom in this aspect, so it is the modern way, but fans need to buy into that slow possession based build up. maresca was being criticised by Leicester fans for this approach. So a rosenior coached team won’t be necessarily playing break neck fast attacking football.
Not particularly fussed. If it gets results and it does entertain, I'd be happy

Reactions: Steve Evans

Altarnun Green

✅ Evergreen
Nov 27, 2005
The owner of Hull was on Talksport this morning talking about the reason he sacked Liam. Basically the owner said that he wants his team to play attacking and exciting football and Liam wasn't providing him with that, even though they finished 7th. And because they finished 7th, they should be able to attract a better manager. Then a load of Hull fans came on and said they couldn't understand why he had been sacked as he had improved them no end. Make of that what you will.

SMG

Oct 22, 2021
The owner of Hull was on Talksport this morning talking about the reason he sacked Liam. Basically the owner said that he wants his team to play attacking and exciting football and Liam wasn't providing him with that, even though they finished 7th. And because they finished 7th, they should be able to attract a better manager. Then a load of Hull fans came on and said they couldn't understand why he had been sacked as he had improved them no end. Make of that what you will.

Yeah he's not known as the 'Turkish Simon Cowell' for nothing :D

Judging him ultimately on January signings when you usually don't see the best of them until they settle in the next season is super harsh. Hopefully our gain.

Jan 6, 2004
Works for both sides and we prove in the past we will push the boat out for the right candidate (lowe)

Pro's - Knows the Division. Outperformed budget, young, could do the head coach role, plays right type of football, The obvious candidate Barry) not available until July..
Cons - Wage expectations, could he outperform budget, Sunderland job also available, we tend to prefer more and upcoming manager
Not sure wage expectations are that big an issue because he will be getting compensation from Hull to make up for wage shortfall, provided he can show he has made reasonable efforts to get as good a wage as he could.

Oct 31, 2022
That is the best poster suit your opinion I’ve ever seen. No one locked out any positions at the top. In fact they were all falling over themselves to not go up come the end.

I’m not saying I don’t want him here, I just don’t get how everyone thinks the guy that was sacked by Derby last season after we beat them (who have been promoted this season) and who failed to get a top 6 position with players like Scott Twine, Liam Delap, Carvalho & Billy Sharpe will be an absolute no brainer for us.

It suits my opinion but it is also all true. By "locking out the top spots" I think it's fair to assume that relegated PL sides reserve 3 of the top 6 spots year after year. You only need to look at recent league tables to show this.

I may have my timelines wrong, but wasn't Rosenior sacked by Derby after he had 1 transfer window whilst under an embargo?

21/22 - Derby relegated under Rooney with assistant Rosenior.
June 2022 - Rooney leaves. Rosenior appointed. Transfer embargo etc. They had only 5 senior players under contract.
September 2022 - he's sacked for Paul Warne.

This was the league table when he was sacked.

Screenshot_20240508-132531.png

So he got a transfer window with an embargo and 9 games, despite having them in 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.