Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 81 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 81 21.9%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 44 11.9%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 14.3%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 55 14.9%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Will Still

Votes: 40 10.8%

• Total voters
Oct 10, 2018
Jagoba Arrasate - young 45 year head coach, leaving Osasuna in spain after 6 years, 12th in top Spanish league.

Was not pushed or poached, yet felt he had reached the end with club, not enjoying it so believes that's when it's time to not resign a new contract which was due next month.

Osasuna were his first club, he apparently played a fast paced counter attacking side demanding effort and focus over flare. Apparently once the man City quoted as saying he was a miracle worker when Osasuna finished 4th in.Spanish behind R Madrid, Atheletico, Barcelona.

Due to very modest budget and squad depth at his disposal.

So perhaps worth an approach

Jul 12, 2016
I know weā€™ve got to get the appointment right but at the same time I hope we donā€™t dither. Thereā€™s a hell of a lot of work to be done this summer, regardless of which league we end up in. Hopefully weā€™ll have someone in post in the next 2-3 weeks.
Better to ā€œditherā€ than get it wrong again. SH and co know full well how big a task they are faced with and how essential it is to get the right fit.

Jul 12, 2016
In light of how well regarded so many German coaches are and following the impact of Rohl at Wednesday, I wonder whether we should explore the German leagues for our next coach/manager.

Obviously Daniel Stendel could be an option, but I think a guy like Heiner Backhaus (if proficient with English) could be perfect.

Thoughts?
I understand Mercedes are very reliable and go on for years.They should be the automatic choice

Aug 18, 2021
Jagoba Arrasate - young 45 year head coach, leaving Osasuna in spain after 6 years, 12th in top Spanish league.

Was not pushed or poached, yet felt he had reached the end with club, not enjoying it so believes that's when it's time to not resign a new contract which was due next month.

Osasuna were his first club, he apparently played a fast paced counter attacking side demanding effort and focus over flare. Apparently once the man City quoted as saying he was a miracle worker when Osasuna finished 4th in.Spanish behind R Madrid, Atheletico, Barcelona.

Due to very modest budget and squad depth at his disposal.

So perhaps worth an approach
A good shout, I just hope we get someone with experience. Being a manager / head coach is as much about managing players as men as it it tactics . Knowing when to shout and when to put an arm around a player and how to keep a squad happy is vital.

Jan 12, 2023
Anthony Barry or Will Still for me.

Former supposedly in final 3, presume is leaving Bayern with Tuchel.

Will still has just left Reims and wants to manage in the championship.

Sadly I think both are probably unattainable now, with sporting Lisbon after Barry (if their current boss goes) and will still most likely going to Sunderland.

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
Unlike when Foster arrived, close season does allow some reset/replan with time to get correct players for that and drill them. The idea of play just the same way but get better players is flawed, pulling off results on emotion filled 1 offs (ok did it twice) is one thing, but doing that in the churn of 46 games is entirely different. Latterly We stopped scoring goals and always looked like conceding whilst first half of the season we just played 'you score, we score 2 etc etc', entertaining but a hammering was always a possibility and when the scorers dry up an inevitability. So somethings do need to change, better (and maybe more appropriate) players is part of that.

I am less concerned about champ experience (recent club football as a 1 would be preferable) but the new person has to have a clear plan including a team of staff ready to join and implement that straight away. In the interview they should already know the squad and what they have identified as areas to work on and how they intend to achieve that. The second aspect is they have to understand and embrace that certain kind of intangible thing which comes from being an outpost... that cohesive family unit that has enabled us to be better than the sum of its parts. It is no coincidence that our best managers (despite how it ended for some) mobilised the club and the city...of course you have to be able to do 'the football' but it is much easier with that powerful force at your back, the Foster experiment showed what happens if you go the other way. One thing is for sure there will be alot of nervousness and maybe second guessing from the hierarchy... they fully believed Foster was the right choice and caught a cold when reality didn't meet the marketing, so the due diligence failed somewhere... they know they can't get caught again.

As an aside I now look at Foster as our version of Liz Truss and wonder if he will turn up in the future with tales of conspiracy and shadow forces, and that really he was correct all the time, just we weren't ready for his brilliance

Oct 10, 2018
I understand Mercedes are very reliable and go on for years.They should be the automatic choice
These are both interesting options, what is noticeable is that the club styles and tempo, club atmosphere are very similar in Germany to those found in England, so this may be why German coaches have adjusted to the role quickly.

Footy also can go through fads, like looking at young managers, German manager, extravert managers and its easy to be swept along as fans.

Why SH ND and AP next few decisions so crucial and damn difficult.

Reactions: gundolt
Feb 24, 2008
Juat received a Message from someone Reliable that Nigel Pearson is moving into Ivybridge. Could be Something Could be Nothing. Watch this Space I Guess āš½

• Wow
Reactions: pafc jack
May 8, 2011
Juat received a Message from someone Reliable that Nigel Pearson is moving into Ivybridge. Could be Something Could be Nothing. Watch this Space I Guess āš½
He has had a property on the Moorhaven site at Bittaford for years. He has regularly posted pictures of him and his family out and about in the South Hams and on the moors over the last few years. Seems Mothecombe beach is one of his favourite places.

Feb 14, 2022
Steven Neismith at Hearts or Shaun Maloney, depends on how much the compo would be and their interest.

Or we look abroad in Holland, Scandinavia, or Germany for young developing head coach

Or Lee Hobbs, Des Buckingham, the Ossasuna manager or anyone else either in the press or on TV that won this week. Aren't you just repeating the same names and posts over and over?