Matt Parsons | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Matt Parsons

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
When is he meant to be back from injury? He seems to have spent a large amount of his time injured at Argyle.

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
Hope he's back soon, I liked him. Clearly wasn't fit though and has struggled with injuries.

Trouble is people are oblivious to Purrington's mistakes because he's home grown, as good as he obviously is for a 17 year old.

C

Cobi Budge.

Nope, Ben has flaws but I think he's a much more solid defender than Parsons.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
We've missed his ability to get up and down the left hand side. Look how exposed we've been with only Thomas who can merely get 'up' the left hand side but not the getting back part.

Purrington and Parsons are limited in different ways as someone else said on here recently (can't remember who sorry). Parsons slightly the better of the two for me. Both good, neither great.

C

Cobi Budge.

Parsons gives us the pace on the left, but he's very poor defensively, never puts in a tackle and always looses his man, Purrington, while not being as quick, stops crosses coming in and doesn't shy away from anything.

We've had a poor season with left backs, 6 players have played the position (Blackman, Reckord, Berry, Thomas, Parsons, Purrington)

Last season we were strong in the position, Baz being excellent and Williams being a good solid back up.

New LB is needed in the summer, and not a panick loan...or 3.

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
No, I think LB is now a position we're good in, and Parsons is a player I would keep definitely.

Looks as though he has good ability, and when made to defend in his first game though I can't remember who against.

Whoever it was, he was told to stay back and did so very well. If he plays at wing back you can't exactly expect him to stay in defence can you? Of course he'll be caught out but if we maintain with that formation he's the best for it because he is capable in defence unlike Thomas, and a darn sight better going forward than Purrington, who is a LB and not a lot else.. He is still young and learning (and Parsons, who's only 21/22) and I hope they both decide to continue their development at the club.

Parsons is out at the moment because he's aggravated the same knock he's been carrying since January - surely that has to have affected his performance when he did play? Also, some need to bear in mind he didn't play at all this season before he joined us. He's played 8 games with us, all while carrying a knock, woefully short on match fitness AND playing the much more difficult role of a wing-back as opposed to a full-back. He was, admittedly, inconsistent but showed glimpses of being something special. It's easy to look at his performances out of context and say "ooh look, he's a bang-average player". I think, bearing in mind the circumstances, he's actually performed really well.

I make no secret that I really rate Parsons - he was highly rated by Palace fans and Ian Holloway after all. That said however, we need to look at the long-term picture and Parsons shouldn't play again this season: he needs to be given an opportunity to fully recover from this persistent injury and get a proper pre-season under his belt. I honestly think that next season we'll see a player who is a VERY good left-back for League Two, and more than capable in League One in the very unlikely event we go up.

By the way, I rate Purrington also, but he's not as developed as Parsons yet. I believe we have two good, young left-backs. Purrington may have a higher ceiling. But he's not at Parsons' level yet.

Also, Bhasera, while a bit better than both Parsons and Purrington, was helped quite substantially by having an impeccable defensive winger in Bryan in front of him as opposed to no one/Thomas/Alessandra.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
lehairybaker":1232gwzb said:
Would like to see Purrington or Parsons at LB and then Thomas LM.

Out of the two it would be close it choose. Purrington better defensively but only 17.

Parsons future may lead to him playing as a left winger. Many players change the position they play in; berry started as a striker, Harvey is now a midfielder, Van Der Sar started as an outfield player and Michael Carrick started out as a striker.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
MannameadGreen":14hv3sxh said:
Parsons is out at the moment because he's aggravated the same knock he's been carrying since January - surely that has to have affected his performance when he did play? Also, some need to bear in mind he didn't play at all this season before he joined us. He's played 8 games with us, all while carrying a knock, woefully short on match fitness AND playing the much more difficult role of a wing-back as opposed to a full-back. He was, admittedly, inconsistent but showed glimpses of being something special. It's easy to look at his performances out of context and say "ooh look, he's a bang-average player". I think, bearing in mind the circumstances, he's actually performed really well.

I make no secret that I really rate Parsons - he was highly rated by Palace fans and Ian Holloway after all. That said however, we need to look at the long-term picture and Parsons shouldn't play again this season: he needs to be given an opportunity to fully recover from this persistent injury and get a proper pre-season under his belt. I honestly think that next season we'll see a player who is a VERY good left-back for League Two, and more than capable in League One in the very unlikely event we go up.

By the way, I rate Purrington also, but he's not as developed as Parsons yet. I believe we have two good, young left-backs. Purrington may have a higher ceiling. But he's not at Parsons' level yet.

Also, Bhasera, while a bit better than both Parsons and Purrington, was helped quite substantially by having an impeccable defensive winger in Bryan in front of him as opposed to no one/Thomas/Alessandra.

Do not forget that over the whole career of Bhasera at Argyle, the full back had the luxury of Bryan playing in front of him for a very small percentage of his appearances.

Quintrell_Green":1486bl7f said:
MannameadGreen":1486bl7f said:

Do not forget that over the whole career of Bhasera at Argyle, the full back had the luxury of Bryan playing in front of him for a very small percentage of his appearances.
...and he played much better with Bryan in front of him.

Also, just for the record, both Parsons and Purrington are much better than Williams. Decent set pieces but nowt much else.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Flat back four with Purrington at LB and if he stays, possibly Parsons at LM. I also want to see a left footed CB playing alongside Nelson.

Parsons is OK going forwards but very poor defensively, his non-challenge basically gifted Bristol Rovers the winning goal.

With a decent LB behind him, Parsons might make a reasonable LM in League 2, playing a similar role to that which Bryan played during his loan spell last season.