Peter Hartley | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Peter Hartley

Why is Hartley being scapegoated? I just do not get it at all.

He's been one of our best performers this season but I see so many people saying that he's got all these limitations and we should get rid next season. For my money, he's had a better season than Nelse but he's not getting a tenth of the credit.

Take Saturday for example - everyone saying "we conceded twice when McHugh was off-the-pitch". It's true, and I don't want to do down McHugh who's an excellent player for us, but Hartley went off at the same time as McHugh, and that hardly got mentioned. I'd like to see a bit more love go to Hartley - he's been an excellent player for us who is criminally underrated.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Agree with every word.

He makes mistakes (such as the fiasco he made leading to Dagenham's 3rd goal last week) but on the whole I think he's a good centre-back.

He's also just about the only gobby, horrible, vocal player we have in the team at the moment. Take him out and our mentally fragile team would get even weaker.

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
I agree , he has had a good season although he has made a few mistakes .In fairness all of them have made mistakes at some time , this does not make them bad players.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
MannameadGreen":s6mteifk said:
Take Saturday for example - everyone saying "we conceded twice when McHugh was off-the-pitch". It's true, and I don't want to do down McHugh who's an excellent player for us, but Hartley went off at the same time as McHugh, and that hardly got mentioned.
Hartley was awful on Saturday.

C

Cobi Budge.

I'm usually a big Hartley fan and yes he's been a very good player for us, but there's no escaping the fact that he's been poor lately, and that he seems to be getting worse (and more frustrated) with each game.

He was poor against Dagenham and I'd say he was the worst player on the pitch against Cambridge. A seemingly infinite number of errors that could/probably should have been punished.

Rest him against Hartlepool and hope he get's back on it for the play offs.

Jun 8, 2014
I agree with resting him but think he's been class generally this season. Above Nelson based on this season basically.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
MannameadGreen":40gx364w said:
Why is Hartley being scapegoated? I just do not get it at all.

Because he's next in line. Next up in front of the firing squad will be Nelson, I reckon.

I do think Hartley has been playing with an injury over the last few weeks.

On the commentary they said it was injury? He could have been playing with one as
sometimes happens.
Agree at 28 gives us much needed experience. Left footer as well which gives us balance.
Looking forward to his first clash with roberts against pompey. Odds on somebody will be
on the ground. Dive or foul though?
I have no problem with any of the defenders to be honest. They all have their faults
but they seem a determined bunch which can make up for shortcomings at this level.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Josh Pope":1imxj7px said:
I agree with resting him but think he's been class generally this season. Above Nelson based on this season basically.

Class he most definitely is not. As a league 2 player he is adequate. A strong tackler and header of the ball and a good organiser. On the downside, he lacks pace and his distribution is often poor. I would choose Nelson before him every time.

Jun 8, 2014
lilcol":3noduost said:
Josh Pope":3noduost said:

Class he most definitely is not. As a league 2 player he is adequate. A strong tackler and header of the ball and a good organiser. On the downside, he lacks pace and his distribution is often poor. I would choose Nelson before him every time.

His distribution is lacking sometimes but he's not exactly slow. An excellent tackler and great header of the ball for this level, as well as being a good organiser - all important aspects.

He's not class in comparison to where this football club wants to be, but he's been genuinely excellent for the majority of this season IMO.

Mar 14, 2009
There is a reason a team who got relegated, with him playing in it from league one, also released him.

If Hartley isn't the problem with our defence, then who is? It doesn't just keep shipping 2+ goals a game for the last number of fixtures if its functioning as a unit currently.

There was a thread about player of the year. Nelson name was mentioned a number of times for a good season. So if people think this then surely Hartley is the weak link? Something isn't right with the centre of defence. You can drive a London bus through some of the gaps in the middle of it as Wimbledon and D&R have shown recently.

Both Wimbledon goals scored down the middle of the pitch. Both D&R headed goals scored in the centre of box. You cant blame the full backs for these.

Oct 28, 2011
Norwich
Argy1e":33rb0ddj said:
MannameadGreen":33rb0ddj said:
Take Saturday for example - everyone saying "we conceded twice when McHugh was off-the-pitch". It's true, and I don't want to do down McHugh who's an excellent player for us, but Hartley went off at the same time as McHugh, and that hardly got mentioned.

Can't see how you think Hartley was awful Saturday :crazy: he had a decent game until he went off! I swear our fans are delusional sometimes, the amount of times I go to match and come back and odd balls on here are slating them!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Jackleslie_21":sl2xoaxp said:
Argy1e":sl2xoaxp said:
MannameadGreen":sl2xoaxp said:

Can't see how you think Hartley was awful Saturday :crazy: he had a decent game until he went off! I swear our fans are delusional sometimes, the amount of times I go to match and come back and odd balls on here are slating them!
You must have been watching a different game to me, Hartley was the worst player on the pitch and everyone around me or even people I spoke to afterwards all agreed. Well, apart from the the bloke stood behind me, but he spent the entire first half moaning that we were playing 4-4-2 when it was 3-5-2 so I have no idea what he was watching either.

C

Cobi Budge.

Can't agree Jack, we must have been at different games. I'm usually a big Peter Hartley fan but he was without doubt the worst player on the pitch, and as Argy1e says, most around me were saying the same thing.