What is going on? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What is going on?

I've been enjoying the Euros as a channel of much-needed escapism from the drudgery of supporting Plymouth Argyle. I was brought back to Earth with a bang at half-time of the fantastic Portugal vs. Iceland match, finding out that Jamille Matt had signed for Blackpool instead of us.

This made me realise - it's the middle of June and we have THREE players contracted to next season: Jervis, Carey and Sawyer. One of them is sure to have bigger clubs sniffing around him, and one of them is not good enough to be a starter if we want to progress. No one seems keen to sign their new deal: it's been two weeks now since the end of the season yet still the out-of-contract players haven't signed. Hartley, McHugh and Nelson, the foundation that our solid defence was built on, have all been linked with moves away.

What's the problem here? Is it that Brent isn't providing the money? Is Adams continuing his reputation from north of the border of being a divisive man manager who burns his bridges with players very quickly?

I'm worried about next season - we need some new ideas and we need them soon.

May 16, 2015
There are far too many players out of contract. This should never have been allowed to happen.

Are we able to compete financially for better players than we had playing last season ? I doubt it.

Will we be able to get out of this rubbish division next season ? I doubt it.

It just ain't good enough...

May 8, 2011
How is it last minute, it is only 2 weeks from the play off final and the retained list being issued, the Club have to wait for players to let them know whether they are accepting the offers and most have been or are still away on holiday.
Most other teams released their retained lists early in May so the month is up for their players to give their decisions so there are now lots of free agents seeking clubs.
The next two weeks will see a lot of players moving clubs.

Feb 22, 2011
Plymouth/Truro
So our confirmed players are Carey, Sawyer and Jervis and of those in the retained list our squad and starting eleven before new signings is looking like (assuming they sign)

McCormick
RB CB CB Sawyer
CM CM
Jervis Carey LM
ST

Bench: Dorel, Bench player, Bench player, Bench player, Harvey, Rooney, Brunt (injured)

Reserves: Bittner, Bentley

Yeah I am getting worried now we have no players and our first friendly is around 3 weeks away

Feb 2, 2007
Have faith, chill, enjoy the Euros, Cricket and by early August Argyle will have a top 3 capable side.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
nick_PASTIE":12ea6wfl said:
Have faith, chill, enjoy the Euros, Cricket and by early August Argyle will have a top 3 capable side.
Christ, kick us all when we're down, why don't you? I'd rather watch paint dry then have to endure hours of that bollox. Far more exciting.

Feb 2, 2007
Emeraldinho":27wcw5o5 said:
nick_PASTIE":27wcw5o5 said:
Christ, kick us all when we're down, why don't you? I'd rather watch paint dry then have to endure hours of that bollox. Far more exciting.

Off topic alert- I understand it's a marmite game but with T20 at least it's tried to innovate formats to get a wider audience in recent years- what's footy done in the last 20 years to really innovate? Arguably it needs too!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Wash you mouth out :roll:

Aug 2, 2011
The whingers, the Brent outers, the sack Adams, the why didn't he sign for us, the lets moan about anything we can find to moan about must be so happy at present. God knows what they will do if we should have a succesful season 2016/2017!

Dec 3, 2005
Presto":1vykzsyl said:
The whingers, the Brent outers, the sack Adams, the why didn't he sign for us, the lets moan about anything we can find to moan about must be so happy at present. God knows what they will do if we should have a succesful season 2016/2017!

Whinge :)