Full backs need to improve dramatically (Just back) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Full backs need to improve dramatically (Just back)

Aug 15, 2015
Just back home from the game, my first Argyle game of the season. There's not so much to say in that in a game like this it's difficult to make judgements. The one thing that stood out for me though were the full backs and their offensive inability. That was the reason why we didn't muller them 6 or 7-0. Played well first half but it fizzled out towards half-time. Second half was quite poor to be honest.

Bulvitis looks a player ... a good footballer for a defender. Caresses and passes the ball excellently. Bradley looks dominant. Smith looks useful if a bit one dimensional. Spencer and Goodwillie look clever and capable. Spencer reminds me of Bergkamp and he has something. Goodwillie is obviously talented and on another day they would have two goals a piece. Fox reminds me of Paul Scholes in his final years ... clearly a composed and tidy footballer.

All in all, too slow and little creativity but we were never really in any danger (albeit one or two scares). But we should have stepped it up and the full backs left me very disappointed. In a game like this both of the full backs saw so much of the ball and did so little with it. Gary Miller could not possibly do any less going forward if asked - he is exceptionally basic offensively. Purrington meanwhile really needs to step it up if he wants to nail that position. A game like today he should have been charging up the wing but he just stuck to his comfort zone .. worrying. He lacks personality somehow and doesn't offer much more than Miller. Unfortunately their lack of influence given the space they had and the possession they had largely contributed to an ineffective attacking game. Very disappointed in those two.

Otherwise the centrebacks look excellent (if somewhat untested today). Fox and Smith look tidy and the forwards look clever.

On we go.

Aug 24, 2011
Your post is good but the title isn't the same as the suggestions within the post. The defenders are there to defend and we have conceded 4 league goals in 9 games, that is sensational.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
I wasn't there tonight but the description of spencer and fox is amusing. Without wanting to be disrespectful - I've seen positive things from both but your comparison is....I'll stick with amusing

Oct 24, 2014
Shoenice":lf7op7vn said:
Just back home from the game, my first Argyle game of the season. There's not so much to say in that in a game like this it's difficult to make judgements. The one thing that stood out for me though were the full backs and their offensive inability. That was the reason why we didn't muller them 6 or 7-0. Played well first half but it fizzled out towards half-time. Second half was quite poor to be honest.

Bulvitis looks a player ... a good footballer for a defender. Caresses and passes the ball excellently. Bradley looks dominant. Smith looks useful if a bit one dimensional. Spencer and Goodwillie look clever and capable. Spencer reminds me of Bergkamp and he has something. Goodwillie is obviously talented and on another day they would have two goals a piece. Fox reminds me of Paul Scholes in his final years ... clearly a composed and tidy footballer.

All in all, too slow and little creativity but we were never really in any danger (albeit one or two scares). But we should have stepped it up and the full backs left me very disappointed. In a game like this both of the full backs saw so much of the ball and did so little with it. Gary Miller could not possibly do any less going forward if asked - he is exceptionally basic offensively. Purrington meanwhile really needs to step it up if he wants to nail that position. A game like today he should have been charging up the wing but he just stuck to his comfort zone .. worrying. He lacks personality somehow and doesn't offer much more than Miller. Unfortunately their lack of influence given the space they had and the possession they had largely contributed to an ineffective attacking game. Very disappointed in those two.

Otherwise the centrebacks look excellent (if somewhat untested today). Fox and Smith look tidy and the forwards look clever

On we go........................i was no there , but looking at the highlights , purrington set up the second goal from the byline? miller i understand what your saying, think we should have went 3-5-2 second half but hey ho we won

Aug 15, 2015
Majesticmacc":14y8qyct said:
Your post is good but the title isn't the same as the suggestions within the post. The defenders are there to defend and we have conceded 4 league goals in 9 games, that is sensational.

Well I was talking offensively. Purrington just told Derek Adams tonight that Gary Sawyer is number one. If I was Purrington I would have saw this as a massive opportunity to bomb down the wing, take some risks and go for it ala Kyle Walker. If there is room for improvement in the team it is those two based on tonight's show. They achieved virtually nothing with the ball. Two full backs in the mould of Kyle Walker and we would have won this 6-0. I'm just disappointed in them because they are in my opinion a massive contributor towards our mediocrity tonight.

Aug 15, 2015
jimbo_the_green":3pdhg4tw said:
I wasn't there tonight but the description of spencer and fox is amusing. Without wanting to be disrespectful - I've seen positive things from both but your comparison is....I'll stick with amusing

Well I'm talking style and not level. Fox sits, sprays and plays the game at his own tempo. Spencer albeit he seemingly lacks pace (first time seeing him), has a quality about him when he gets on the ball and links up. He finds triangles, plays first time passes and sees things. His finish tonight showed composure. He's got it up there in his head but doesn't have it in his legs/physique. If he had pace he would be higher up the football league ladder.

Aug 15, 2015
Saturday Service":2e7sjqeh said:
Chris Errington has given MOM to Ben Purrington.
He obviously thought he did enough tonight!

He did more than ok and as fine as any other player. Should have utilised the ball much better and been more brave considering him and Miller were our outlet for the whole game.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Shoenice":2nz5lny1 said:
Saturday Service":2nz5lny1 said:

He did more than ok and as fine as any other player. Should have utilised the ball much better and been more brave considering him and Miller were our outlet for the whole game.
Shoenice":2nz5lny1 said:
Purrington meanwhile really needs to step it up if he wants to nail that position. A game like today he should have been charging up the wing but he just stuck to his comfort zone .. worrying. He lacks personality somehow and doesn't offer much more than Miller. Unfortunately their lack of influence given the space they had and the possession they had largely contributed to an ineffective attacking game. Very disappointed in those two.
Make your mind up.

Aug 5, 2016
Shoenice":7iadxhoe said:
Majesticmacc":7iadxhoe said:

Well I was talking offensively. Purrington just told Derek Adams tonight that Gary Sawyer is number one. If I was Purrington I would have saw this as a massive opportunity to bomb down the wing, take some risks and go for it ala Kyle Walker. If there is room for improvement in the team it is those two based on tonight's show. They achieved virtually nothing with the ball. Two full backs in the mould of Kyle Walker and we would have won this 6-0. I'm just disappointed in them because they are in my opinion a massive contributor towards our mediocrity tonight.

What if Derek Adams told him not to do that - to play conservatively, away from home. And at 1-0 up, with the opposition down to 9 men, the last thing we want to do is give them vast space to threaten us on the counter. What if Purrington had instructions to sit tight, and let Fox/Carey dictate things?

4 goals in 9 games is terrific stuff. One of those goals was a fluked mishit cross as well, harsh blaming that on the back 4.

If the defence does its job (clean sheets) and the attack does its job (score goals) together we have a winning team. The primary objective of Purrington, Bully, Bradley and Miller is to secure that clean sheet, especially going 1-0 up early on. Good on them for seeing it out. For a young inexperienced lad coming in he's doing pretty well I'd say - playing his part in the best defence in the football leagues right now.

Aug 15, 2015
Keepitgreen":n2rjt3wf said:
Shoenice":n2rjt3wf said:
Saturday Service":n2rjt3wf said:

Shoenice":n2rjt3wf said:
Purrington meanwhile really needs to step it up if he wants to nail that position. A game like today he should have been charging up the wing but he just stuck to his comfort zone .. worrying. He lacks personality somehow and doesn't offer much more than Miller. Unfortunately their lack of influence given the space they had and the possession they had largely contributed to an ineffective attacking game. Very disappointed in those two.
Make your mind up.

My mind is clear. Against nine men Purrington did more than fine because he had so much time on the ball and he got so much of the ball as the game was compressed down the middle, given that Smith and Songo'o are rather one-dimensional and rigid. Unfortunately, partly down to ability and partly down to mentality he stuck to doing what would be expected of him without stretching himself or making Adams think that he will stand out. Doing ok and scoring a 7 out of 10 against nine men counts for very little in my opinion.

People shouldn't confuse my message. I'm analysing the game beyond the 90 minutes in itself. My message is that he should be taking this opportunity to say 'I'm the first name on the team sheet' but he just lacked the courage to make his mark. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism ;) .

Jun 2, 2016
Re Miller, I'd agree he's far from athletic, although we're hardly leaking goals down his wing. Re Purrington, those at the game got a very good view of him second half. Made a good team with Carey, looked to overlap and was always calling for the long ball to the far post which didn't come. Yes he needs a trick to get past his man and could look to come in on his right foot to shoot occasionally, but he's young. Let's hope he continues to learn. For obvious reasons Orient were playing 5-3-1 and defending on their 18 yard line. It wasn't as easy as it sounded to find space.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Shoenice about Purrington :-
A game like today he should have been charging up the wing but he just stuck to his comfort zone

I've only seen the brief highlights, whereas you have seen one game live. I think it is very unfair to make such a judgement of a young defender, just 20, who is gaining experience in every game that he is playing in Sawyer's absence.

From the highlights, I noted that it was Purrington making a rapid forward move in the first minute of the game when he was cut down in full flow and this resulted, quite justifiably, in the first sending off. I also saw that, in the 84th minute, he was much further forward than what you consider to be his 'comfort zone' when he cut the ball back from the by-line to set up Donaldson for a tap in.

You may not have seen the highlights of the Cambridge game when Purrington got forward into a very similar position, again, and cut the ball back from the by-line to set up Carey for the first goal.

I am sure that Ben Purrington has a lot to learn but I believe that he has played very well in his starting games and, as he is 'one of our own', I hope that his progress continues.

Aug 5, 2016
Exactly - BP's overlapping assist v Cambridge is much more forward than I've ever seen Sawyer in an Argyle shirt.

Not that there's anything wrong with Sawyer's style, but of the two I'd say BP already IS the more adventurous, better attacking one.

F

Fugazi

Can't comment on tonight's game as wasn't there, but Spencer being compared to Bergkamp made me laugh for about 20 mins...
Enjoy the win, too much moaning on here..