Full backs need to improve dramatically (Just back) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Full backs need to improve dramatically (Just back)

Aug 5, 2016
Mark Pedlar":1s0mg4zq said:
Watching the extended highlights it looked like Ben had a fairly good game. I know it's not always representative, but I don't understand the criticism based on those.

Purrington has had two assists from LB this season already, two well picked out lay offs from the near post.

The irony of the OP moaning that Purrington doesn't get forward enough and not being as good as Sawyer - when that is exactly what Purrington offers, and Sawyer rarely ever overlaps or get involved in attacks! Purrington is easily the better attacking left back.

It's good to see him taking to the first team well but I wouldn't have expected anything less. For the past few seasons he has never looked out of place with his appearances, but he is looking a really good quality player now - not out of place there at all.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
On second viewing of the extended highlights, I was even more impressed with the way Purrington controlled the flighted ball from Miller and laid the pass back to Donaldson.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
PlymOdi":7zfxd05a said:
I believe people underestimate the job Ben does for his age. I'm excited to see what he could become if he works hard enough.

He will go the same way as Hourihane---quality player who will shine at a higher level.

May 16, 2016
Old Gunner":2qdnysgp said:
PlymOdi":2qdnysgp said:
I believe people underestimate the job Ben does for his age. I'm excited to see what he could become if he works hard enough.

He will go the same way as Hourihane---quality player who will shine at a higher level.

Ideally with us ! There is a good player developing there. Getting better with games.

Jun 8, 2016
samjones":16k8uszi said:
Don't rate Miller at all. He seems slow and over weight to me and the one time he crossed the half way line this season it took him 5 minutes to get back blowing like a whale.
Whilst he is more "solid" than Mellor on balance I would say the latter is the better player and we have gone backwards at RB.
How the hell Miller keeps Threkeld out of the team is beyond me. Threkeld on a bad day is better than Miller on the top of his game. I also think we miss his energy in midfield and he would be one of my first names on the team sheet no matter where he played - note to DA

Purrington has been a little disappointing - looks nervous and lacking confidence hence cutting inside and backwards for the safe option far too often.
Sawyer is definitely the better defender but does not offer a lot going forward. Both get skinned by a fast winger.

Agree with comment above that the back 4 sit deeper due to lack of covering pace something Luton exposed on first game.
Unless Ben ups his game defensively and offensively Sawyer will walk straight back into the team when fit

Oskar? Is that you?

Jeez oh I know Miller has been the one to cop a load of fan criticism this season, but thats just one load of bull !!

Overweight? are you serious? He must have about 7% body fat?
As a defender he's been solid, I'm guessing thats why he plays? we have plenty other creativity elsewhere on the park as mentioned elsewhere on another post, first and foremost, Full Backs NEED to be able to DEFEND, otherwise what are the right and left Midfielders for? Any attacking ability is a bonus. The Manager obviously see his guys day in day out in training.

I'd guess from your statement above that you don't go to games or just a hater as he has improved his going forward.
In-fact a lot of our players have been improving over the weeks and its time people stopped looking for faults in players just cos THEIR favourite might not be playing, the teams unbeaten in 9 straight, best defence in the League actually and continually I hear the defence get it in the neck, mind boggles. I don't care who plays in the first Eleven, as long as the Eleven do their duty and get the results!
It'll be great to see players like miller and Sawyer and Donaldson and Goodwillie etc if come the end of the season they have their hands on that League 2 trophy! And I'll bet the same folk that knock them time and again? Will bask in their GLORY !!

GA

Jan 3, 2013
For yeovil's goal he stood still while the lad ran past him, and at ex**er he was roasted by Holmes......
IMHO there is a player in there, but Miller is struggling, Threlkeld is a much better full back, and as he said at the SG meeting in August, right back is his favoured position.

Nov 25, 2015
Miller seems to have improved as the season has progressed. That said he's clearly quite a limited footballer. But I think he's solid defensively, and is a leader on the pitch so is probably good enough for league 2.
I like Threlkeld, not sure about him at right back though. Prefer him in the defensive midfield role.

Aug 2, 2011
Wonderful, theOP attends one game and now rgards himself as the authority on the quality of our full backs. Totally ignores the current record of goals conceded. Suggest he either attends more games or keeps such opinions to himself.

I think Miller is improving a bit after a poor start, but he still offers nothing going forward and gets caught on the turn a little too much because of his lack of pace.

Threlkeld might think he's a right-back. David Alaba thinks he's a central midfielder and anyone who watched Austria at Euro 2016 would see that isn't the case. I think Threlkeld is much better in central midfield.

Feb 8, 2005
People that are saying that the full backs need to improve are confusing the actions of our full backs with the wing backs of Sheridan's reign.

Our full backs are doing an excellent job in their full back responsibilities this season.

Jun 8, 2016
jimsing":2wju86fw said:
People that are saying that the full backs need to improve are confusing the actions of our full backs with the wing backs of Sheridan's reign.

Our full backs are doing an excellent job in their full back responsibilities this season.

Top man. For me, our Fullbacks job IS to stop ATTACKS down OUR FLANKS, if they get a chance then by all means attack the oppositions flanks. If Derek Adams wants that, then am pretty sure our Full backs would be doing that continually, but we get on at players for not doing WHAT WE WANT when we don't even know what there instructions from the Manager were. They don't play to our tune, they play to DA's. And it must be working? lowest goals against in the league, only Team on single digits and about 4 goals better off in this area than our closest challengers.

Jun 8, 2016
Knarf Reprah":1dfxgc2q said:
For yeovil's goal he stood still while the lad ran past him, and at ex**er he was roasted by Holmes......
IMHO there is a player in there, but Miller is struggling, Threlkeld is a much better full back, and as he said at the SG meeting in August, right back is his favoured position.

Ex**er he was one of the better players! But I guess footballs all about opinions. A bit like you can have a good game and folk remember your one mistake, whilst others stroll about and do nothing yet get the ball rolled to their feet for a tap in and their a HERO !!
I've seen Oskar Roasted a few times at right back aswell. I've seen Bulvitus roasted, every player gets it one game or another. Regardless, as I said before don't care who plays, but this singling players out, nah, not for me, especially when its not warrented. Just saying.