Conspiracy Theory? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Conspiracy Theory?

Aug 13, 2011
It seems to me astonishing how two years running now a team apparently so much better than any other in the division can then implode so dramatically in to one lacking all the qualities it seemed to possess in reaching that summit. Quite remarkable! And would seem like an innocent insight from any onlooker to infer some form of sabotage. I mean what IS going on!!! How can a team 7 clear at the top, seemingly invincible, just set a club record 7 away wins on the trot, suddenly in 2 weeks be 3rd in the league and unable to put away one of the weaker teams in the league who have 10 men for 70 minutes!! And it's the same story 2 years running. What is the cause of this??? It's patently absurd! How can such vast promise be set to evaporate in to another false dawn without a moments notice? It is now taking some believing!!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Injuries to key personnel and no plan to deal with them.

Has Goodwillie lived up to expectations? Surely Spencer was the back up and GW was expected to be the regular.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
You could also include the 2014-2015 season under Sheridan, granted we never got in the top 3 but we were certainly holding our own in the play offs and looked on course to sneak in the top 3 in November/December. Then January came and we imploded and only just scraped the play offs.

Makes you think.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I think that someone has upset the football pixies at some time in the past, no other logical explanation. :cool:

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
No manager in the last 5 years has openly said he's looking at players in January. That DA has already stated to having targets must surely mean any signing whether perm or loan is planned rather than a kneejerk reaction to a poor December.

Aug 13, 2011
It is still difficult to believe that such vast superiority in that league can be impacted so severely by one or two injuries. We haven't been exactly ravaged by them , no more than other sides and you keep hearing of our depth in squad this season?? . And our best players like Carey, Tanner etc are fit. And OK if real quality is after all threadbare you need to get people in and be dynamic in the transfer window. I'm hearing no urgency! Worst of all seeing no urgency on the pitch!!

Aug 13, 2011
OK well I'm glad he has targets!! Not heard that prior. So much for the adequate squad then. But yes we need players of quality in to bolster this campaign or we are at very best play off's yet again. That's a lottery. Still incredible given our virtual invincibility up until now! It defies logic!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
At the moment we have Bulvitus, Spencer, Purrington Sawyer and Ijaha out injured. Gurita wasn't in the squad, probably not to be cup tied. We have a makeshift defence and are light up front. No conspiracy, we should be back winning when we're back to full strength, in the meantime we have to find a way of picking up some results to make sure we're still in the hunt.

May 8, 2011
Rather than conspiracy I would use Harold MacMillan's quote 'Events dear boy, events.
At the Barnet game had there been a different referee the result would have been different, at Morecambe had Slew not been sent off the result would have been different.
Yesterday the events were injuries and suspension and the recent results, as I am sure because it was a cup game and we have Doncaster next, Purrington and Bulvitus were kept back as a precaution but would have been involved in a league match.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Steve.PAFC2012":xxcn2nv8 said:
You could also include the 2014-2015 season under Sheridan, granted we never got in the top 3 but we were certainly holding our own in the play offs and looked on course to sneak in the top 3 in November/December. Then January came and we imploded and only just scraped the play offs.

Makes you think.

Makes you think what??

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Biggs":1j2t2xqi said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1j2t2xqi said:

Makes you think.

Makes you think what??
Just why we seem to fade away after promising starts.

Well 8 injuries including 3 key strikers aint a conspiracy its just bad luck.
The same last season with injuries to key players at important times with a small squad.
Football kicking you in the nuts when flying high does happen but also the opposite
can happen as yeovil are proving.
Its just part of football and argyle have just got to make the best of it until we turn
the corner, maybe it will be against donny, maybe it might take a bit longer.
Just gotta be patient and keep believing.
At least we know that this team does do long unbeaten runs.

May 8, 2011
Biggs":1yd098r3 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1yd098r3 said:

Makes you think.

Makes you think what??

We were 7th on Boxing Day and in 7th place after 15 of the matches post Christmas including the last 5 games of the season, more like consistent rather than imploding.
Thanks to GOS.

Jul 29, 2010
I remember when we fell away from contention to the top league under Dave Smith in the 80's people round me saying "they don't want promotion". I was only a kid then and thought that was nuts.

My Dad said there was a time in time in he 60's when similar things were suggested. No doubt during our eight year runner up period in the 20's it was being banded about too.

I still think such conspiracy theories are nuts, I mean, what do you gain by not bettering yourself as a club? But even if, say, in just one of those instances (20's/60's/80's/now) there was some perverse reverse logic being played out, it doesn't explain all of them. I mean the boards/chairs of the previous instances are nearly all dead and besides have no links to each other anyway.

No, the only constant throughout ALL these instances is the chronic cynicism of the local population. And there I suspect is the beginning, middle and end of the explanation behind these conspiracy theories. No actual conspiracy at all, just a whole heap of cynicism.

Feb 15, 2005
Were we playing that well a few weeks ago or did we have the rub of the green. Certainly at home, I don't travel often, we have been poor in some games and average in others.