Kelvin Mellor tweet to Argyle fans amongst others | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kelvin Mellor tweet to Argyle fans amongst others

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
Please don't move this message, I think it needs to be seen in the main discussion forum.

This is a Tweet from Kelvin Mellor, sorry I cannot copy or link it, but think it's important that those who give abuse on here, are sometimes read by the players concerned.

KELVIN MELLORS TWEET

What a day yesterday was, another amazing experience that will be with me for the rest of my life.
So this Message is to thank every single one of you that wished me luck and messaged me, family, friends, fans.
The team has been outstanding all year, lots of ups and downs, but we stuck together, and did the business when it mattered.
This year has been a massive plus for me, and I am very thankful for the opportunity.

This time last season, was one of the worse experiences of my life, and l've got to thank all of the fans who were sympathetic, and also the fans that gave me a lot of stick and abuse.
You've drove me to succeed even more this time around.
This ones for you. AMEN

G

greengiant1886

Glad it has worked out for him, but you can't escape the amount of goals that he was responsible for us conceding last season. Never justified the abuse that he got mind you.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Much of the abuse was too far but it's undeniable that he did cost us a lot of points in a tight race.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Sadly some of the worst criticism of Mellor was from the Herald, one particular article really singled him out and was uncalled for.

Good luck to him, he's a very decent guy.

Feb 8, 2005
We know from experience that his attacking was better than his defending, but Blackpool used him as a wing back rather than a full back, and I have to say they got it spot on, we didn't.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
We tended to focus on mistakes he made without realising his positive contributions going forward.

His message to those who gave him stick and abused him is perfectly understandable.

Good luck to him in League 1, except when he is playing against us.

Nov 4, 2012
Kelvin was always a great player when attacking but defensively he was prone to a mistake. He was made the scapegoat here but he always put in 100% effort for us. I'm over the moon he was able to put last year right for himself. We'll done Kelvin. Top bloke.

Jul 11, 2011
Totally agree with his tweet and I would have been more blunt. He was massively underrated when with argyle and any small error was jumped on (whereas other players like Carey or Nelson etc were untouchable).

Argyle fans seem to NEED someone to abuse!! This season being Miller or Donaldson. I hope some people read this and realise what mindless abuse can do (luckily Mellor used it to better himself, whereas others might not).

Happy for Mellor and will get another clap from me next season.

Oct 31, 2015
Good luck to the guy he deserves it. Will always get a good reception when he returns but you cant forget those mistakes he made and the pens he gave away. Going forward very good but defensively he was a target for opposing teams.

As others have said he was a wingback rather than a full back but last season must have helped as he was in the team of the year and won at Wembley. Congrats to you Kelvin and see you next season

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Akos Bubacksy":1dl2qeej said:
Totally agree with his tweet and I would have been more blunt. He was massively underrated when with argyle and any small error was jumped on (whereas other players like Carey or Nelson etc were untouchable).

Argyle fans seem to NEED someone to abuse!! This season being Miller or Donaldson. I hope some people read this and realise what mindless abuse can do (luckily Mellor used it to better himself, whereas others might not).

Happy for Mellor and will get another clap from me next season.
Well said AB. I think your post is absolutely spot on.

Mar 23, 2008
Very level headed post and good luck to him. Some of the abuse goes too far, didn't rate him as a defender but as a wing back he's been effective. That said last season we had too many players who couldn't dig in and grind results when the chips were down and that cost us promotion and Mellor was part of that issue. That attempt at defending at Wembley ruined several thousands of fans day.

Jul 11, 2011
Deacster":2y7rvd6j said:
Very level headed post and good luck to him. Some of the abuse goes too far, didn't rate him as a defender but as a wing back he's been effective. That said last season we had too many players who couldn't dig in and grind results when the chips were down and that cost us promotion and Mellor was part of that issue. That attempt at defending at Wembley ruined several thousands of fans day.

You can't seriously blame Mellor for that defeat!?! What about the rest of the poor performances.

Also if you actually watch Lyle Taylor's goal (which was a good goal) it was actually Hartley who lost his man and Mellor was only guilty of letting Taylor get in front of him as the front man.
People also seem to forget all the other poor performances that day. What about Jordan Forster for the penalty? Carey for his terrible deliveries that day......
You win, lose or draw as a team (management and all). Yes the players did not perform to their full potential but it is not as if Mellor was sent off for violence or a wreckless tackle.

The Mellor bashing was and is stupid.

Jul 29, 2010
Many have tried to change my opinion down the years, all have failed, so it'll be a cold day in hell before a facetw@tter utterance succeeds :funny:

I saw a player who occasionally looked good going forwards but always looked a vulnerability in defence. Nothing I saw at Wembley yesterday convinces me I was wrong and the OG in the semi final proves my point.

Well done for winning yesterday Kelvin and good luck in L1, but I am glad you weren't in our defence this season and given how poor Gary Miller was that's REALLY saying something.