0ct0ber | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

0ct0ber

C

Cobi Budge.

I agree with those game assessments Ian.

I honestly feel if we had a 352 from the start we would have got a few more results, especially the away games at Bury & Morecambe, both of which we should have taken something from.

However with the Shrewsbury game, I really did think we were poor. We looked quite clueless, & the only thing which kept us in it was Luke's class and the woodwork. Shrewsbury I agree are the best side we've played.

I'm surprised to see Wycombe so high, even though they won they were poor down here, we were just a tiny bit worse. Although I hear they've won most of their games by playing ugly.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Always glad to have a chin wag with someone who attends matches Cobi, I know a lot of people thought the same about Shrewsbury but I really enjoyed it, I thought that we did what we had to and Luke is a player for us and on that day that particular player did excel but it wasn't luck it was good play (if you see what I mean).

We certainly dug in, but that was the day I knew our defence was something special, I never was on the edge of my seat I just KNEW we would do what we had to.

I've witnessed this team (as I know you have) turn into this hard to beat unit and two recent loanees have just added that extra something.

Don't get me wrong, coming back down the road from Morecambe, Accrington and Bury almost on the bounce wasn't nice, but I did feel that this team was going to turn a corner.

Are we potential Champions, mmmm I'm not too sure but I would be gutted if we don't end up in the top three.

With a following wind, a few nice surprises on the loanee front (i.e them staying around for a while) I reckon this season could be a cracker.

I love Nelson/McHugh/Hartley in that formation as well. They mean business.

C

Cobi Budge.

Completely agree about the back 3, they compliment each other perfectly with a great keeper behind them.

As I say, I just wish we started with that, we'd be in the automatic spots, I reckon we would have taken points from Morecambe & Bury, I doubt we'd have lost to Wycombe & we would have probably beaten Stevenage. Cambridge & Accrington were different types of games and we lost those for different reasons.

Excited about the future, we have a great spine to the side and I think it finally shows what a good squad we have when we actually have to leave players like Cox on the bench.

Jan 3, 2013
I was going to be pedantic and advise Cobi that its complEment not compliment, but I won't. Oops I have. What struck me last Saturday was how the defence protected Luke so well, in particular throwing themselves into blocking shots even in the last few minutes when we were three nil up. That signifies team spirit. I was an arch SHERIDAN critic, but the man obviously knows what he's doing at this level. Early doors yet, but I genuinely am getting excited about this season.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Saturday was much improved and the defence never really looked troubled despite Cheltenham having their share of possession and putting in a number of crosses.
Our CB trio are without doubt the most mobile centre halves that have been at the club in a long time. Ironically 2 of the scorers (Reid and Allesandra) I felt were amongst the poorest of the performers.

I feel that a real promotion challenge lies in:
1. keeping Kellett and B. Reid for the full season or replacing them like for like both in position & in quality.
2. keeping R Reid in January and adding a different striking option in January (perhaps Wednesday wouldn't mind us nursing Caolan Lavery back to health til the end of the season??)
3. keeping our centre halves fit

Whilst there have been few fleeting glimpses of Argyle as an irresistible attacking force I have to applaud Sheridan on his signings this season...the back four is virtually new and definitely improved in all departments (although like Cobi I maintain that if McHugh had been used in his proper position and the LB spot filled sooner then we'd be pushing Luton right now)
B Reid and Kellett were 2 of the last remaining jigsaw pieces...there's one more piece to go in I feel though and that's to add a Lavery type player to add to the arsenal of striking options

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Knarf Reprah":1etfko6a said:
What struck me last Saturday was how the defence protected Luke so well, in particular throwing themselves into blocking shots even in the last few minutes when we were three nil up. That signifies team spirit.

I agree. I love it when a team gets to the stage where, even though they are clearly going to win the game if they concede a goal, they still put their bodies on the line (so to speak) to preserve a clean sheet.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
up_the_line":2y3klaql said:
Saturday was much improved and the defence never really looked troubled despite Cheltenham having their share of possession and putting in a number of crosses.
Our CB trio are without doubt the most mobile centre halves that have been at the club in a long time. Ironically 2 of the scorers (Reid and Allesandra) I felt were amongst the poorest of the performers.

I feel that a real promotion challenge lies in:
1. keeping Kellett and B. Reid for the full season or replacing them like for like both in position & in quality.
2. keeping R Reid in January and adding a different striking option in January (perhaps Wednesday wouldn't mind us nursing Caolan Lavery back to health til the end of the season??)
3. keeping our centre halves fit

Whilst there have been few fleeting glimpses of Argyle as an irresistible attacking force I have to applaud Sheridan on his signings this season...the back four is virtually new and definitely improved in all departments (although like Cobi I maintain that if McHugh had been used in his proper position and the LB spot filled sooner then we'd be pushing Luton right now)
B Reid and Kellett were 2 of the last remaining jigsaw pieces...there's one more piece to go in I feel though and that's to add a Lavery type player to add to the arsenal of striking options

I'm not too hung up on losing Bobby Reid and Kellett (although I rather they stayed) because we have replacements in Banton/Harvey for the Reid role and Purrington (when fit) for the Kellett role, it's not so much the players that are important but the system.
I just hope Sheridan doesn't change the 3-5-2 formation if we suffer a few defeats like he did last season.

The one player we must keep is O'Connor, he's more important than Bobby Reid and Kellett, it would be a big loss if his loan spell wasn't extended because I don't feel we have anyone in the squad who could play his role, the nearest is Cox but O'Connor can also cover the right-back and centre-back positions.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I actually think O'Connor is more replaceable than Bobby, myself. You've got Cox who could step in and do the O'Connor role to a very high standard. Purrington or Mellor who could move across and do the Kellett role to a high standard. I'm not so certain Harvey or Banton would be able to offer that burst of pace from midfield like Bobby does to anything like the same standard.

I don't think those two are analogous to Bobby personally. Sorry if I go a bit 'tactics truck' here but bear with me...What Bobby does is essentially burst forward either with the ball or without it from what often starts out as a fairly deep position in midfield. Tyler and Banton are far better floating in the hole between the midfield and the strikers. Bobby starts the game closer to O'Connor than Blizzard does. The way I see it is, it's Blizzard who plays the TH/JB 'in the hole role' more so than BR does. If Blizzard were to disappear, I don't doubt that Harvey or Banton could step in. But all three of them are different in their style and positioning to Bobby Reid in my view.

What Bobby offers is not so much the ability to play between the midfield and strikers like the other players I just mentioned. He offers something which I think in entirely unique- dynamism and pace making forward runs from deep like Friio used to do. That's why I think he'd be more difficult (although not impossible) to replace than either of our other loanees.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
MannameadGreen":paspzswt said:
I think Harvey could do the Bobby Reid role. Banton couldn't.

In our current 3-5-2, the only place Banton really fits is as a forward.
Have to disagree- I think both could do the Blizzard number ten role, both could be forwards next to Reuben but neither could do what Bobby role.

In fact, the only one player at the club (in my opinion of course) who could be coached into doing what Bobby does is a different local born youth product: River Allen.

C

Cobi Budge.

I'm with Sam.

Keeping Bobby is more important than keeping Kellet or O'connor, although it would be great to keep those as well.

Harvey, for me just isn't technically good enough to play in the hole consistently while Banton could never emulate Bobby's work rate.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":3bgpbzfw said:
I'm with Sam.

Keeping Bobby is more important than keeping Kellet or O'connor, although it would be great to keep those as well.

Harvey, for me just isn't technically good enough to play in the hole consistently while Banton could never emulate Bobby's work rate.
Well you're not with Sam on that :shh:

But I'll take the rest :greensmile: