20 out of 39 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

20 out of 39

Apr 1, 2009
Northernlightgreen":77yiktyv said:
Some people on here know nothing but how to criticise the manager no matter what the conversation and are quickly able to turn a positive thread into a negative one.

We have already matched last seasons 60 point mark with 7 matches to go. In any job getting year on year improvement is a positive result. There is still the possibility for anywhere between 0% and 35% points improvement from last years total, lets see where we we end up before passing judgement.

Yes, year-on-year improvement is a positive, but are we really maximizing our potential? When I see another poster saying we're ok because we scored as many goals as the likes of Southend, I despair at the acceptance of mediocrity.

I'll be accused of turning a positive thread into a negative one, but I want to see positivity on the field. Few would disagree that the current team visibly grows in confidence if they score first. If this happens they often go on to win by 2 or 3 - hence our excellent GD. With this characteristic, surely it would make sense to send the team out with a positive vibe, aiming to impose themselves on the game, seeking to score that vital first goal which so often gives us belief? This rarely happens, particularly away from home. We set up with all but the two isolated strikers behind the ball, seek to contain and to see what happens. If nothing happens then we get a 0-0 which seems to satisfy many, and of course enhances our impressive tally of clean sheets.

I think this negative set-up makes the players fearful of their modest opponents. If they have this initial mindset they find it very difficult to switch once they have to chase a game. Let's get in front as quickly as possible, because it's the position that suits us.

I congratulate all those involved in providing our excellent defensive record. I would prefer, however, to be celebrating an extra 7-10 points which I believe could have been gained with a more positive approach.

L

lewjam14

Penlee":1xyhdxku said:
My daughter turned to me at Cheltenham on saturday and said if it wasn't for mcCormick we would be in the same position as Cheltenham. Not sure I'd go that far but he is in my view at least championship standard (she thinks international level)

its true though :whistle: