40th anniversary of FA Cup Semi Final | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

40th anniversary of FA Cup Semi Final

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I was born in November 1983, and there is a photo of me aged just 5 months wrapped in an Argyle scarf with an Argyle hat on my head. It was taken the day before my Dad set off to watch the semi final, and despite being born in Torquay, I think that photo very much cemented my footballing loyalties for life!

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Is it true that the bit of George Reilly's ear will be on display?
Should set up an interview with the guy from the building site and Tatsuki - our famous fan from Japan.

Titled - ‘When Tatsuki came over ear’

Dec 9, 2012
Crikey, it seems like yesterday. I travelled down from Surrey to make a long weekend of it as I wanted the whole 'going with mates on the train' experience. A great day out - Dave Corbett (ask your great grandparents!) was on the train.
I did Southend but missed the Newport replay.

I DID see every game in the League Cup run though which I think was quite impressive. There was only about 80 of us at Burnley on that cold foggy night.
I went over for the Burnley game from Liverpool, where I was at college. I think there were a few Argyle supporters there, but those were the days when it wasn't always wise to advertise your presence at many grounds - and Burnley definitely fell into that category!
I missed the last train back to Manchester (where I had to change for Liverpool) but by an incredible stroke of luck bumped into someone I knew who was going that way, and they dropped me off at Manchester Picadilly.
Proper planning wasn't really a thing for me in those days, but it nearly always turned out ok.

Jeez, that Burnley game was over fifty years ago o_O

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
I went to the Southend game, dragging along a couple of Scottish mates who fancied watching some live football. Being Rangers fans they were horrified to see that Argyle played in green 'ya didn'ee tellus that ya basstad!'. They promptly jumped ship and started supporting the team in Blue :ROFLMAO:

Living in Hatfield Hertfordshire at the time, on getting back from the semi final game we hit a pub in the town centre and to my surprise it was mobbed with Watford fans (being a predominately Arsenal/Spurs town where the hell did they come from?). Needless to say they soon spotted my Argyle scarf and hat and, apart from a couple of numpties, were generous in both their praise of Argyle and the supply of lagers. Went to bed that night 'happy' but I swear the first thing I remembered on waking the next morning was Hodges 'goal' that never was, then the hangover set in.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
For the trip to West Brom, a minibus was hired from St Austell (Removed pending life ban - Site Admin Van Rental) and 2 dads drove 12 excited Lostwithiel teenagers to the match. It was such an adventure for us all, many great memories and tales to tell, even being "attacked" by some disgruntled West Brom fans afterwards (yeah real tough guys attacking teenagers) and how 1 local (thankfully) missed our windscreen with a brick from 3 yards was a miracle!
Someone had brought a cassette player/recorder and we made a tape of us singing Argyle songs on the way home, which we all listened to at the community centre on the Sunday for our debrief meeting.

Apr 1, 2024
I attended this event along with my husband Dave after winning 2 tickets in Ians lucky number draw. It was an amazing afternoon with many players attending from that time,1984. We met a lot of nice people and we sat with Adrian Burrows and his partner Shirley and two other gentlemen whose names I cannot remember but were great company. It was very well attended and it was nice to see Mr Hallett there. So glad we went.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
What a great day that was, despite losing. We were so close to getting to Wembley; how did that shot from Hodges not go in.

View attachment 14545

You Tube highlights.

Funny you should say that. About 20 years ago I received a nice handwritten letter from Graham Taylor (another story) and in it he said "I was certain that Kevin Hodges' shot was going in".

Jul 25, 2022
I was at the First round Southend away game as I lived in Essex at the time and saw the Derby replay.
Managed to get tickets for he semi final, what a great day that was! I'm sure if Argyle had got to the final, they would have put up a better show than Watford did against Everton.

Dec 29, 2011
The one game I missed in the 84 cup run was the home replay V Southend .I remember that well as the overnight sleeper derailed just outside Paddington and I would have been on that train 9 times out of 10

Wexford Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
✅ Evergreen
Jan 20, 2005
Ballygarrett, County Wexford, Ireland
I only missed the third round in that run. I drove down to Villa Park from Scarborough in my little Fiat 850. Was gutted we lost and still can’t believe that Hodges effort never went in 😟.

What made the day worse was getting mooned at by a bunch of Grimsby Town fans on a supporters coach.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I only missed the third round in that run. I drove down to Villa Park from Scarborough in my little Fiat 850. Was gutted we lost and still can’t believe that Hodges effort never went in 😟.

What made the day worse was getting mooned at by a bunch of Grimsby Town fans on a supporters coach.
The guys in the back of our bus were mooning so much back down the M5, they were lucky the US space shuttle did not land on them by mistake!

• Haha
Reactions: Wexford Green

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
I hope that is not racial discrimination against Cornish folks!
No 'tis from a Cornish boy.
But nearby townspeople used to say about Saltash inhabitants :
'Saltash Rig - wet ass no fish' which means...( from an extract from a book of dialect...)
Saltash luck - Getting a soaking while doing a job. ‘A wet arse and no fish!’ (Saltash anglers fish from the bridge and catch nothing but the tide.)
Frank Butcher and I had some common acquaintances in our mispent youth so I thought a friendly insult was appropriate in terms of his 'Saltash rig ' semi-final experience :)

Reactions: Frank Butcher