A question (of pride) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A question (of pride)

Oh look, we appear to have veered off course again..............

It's not just Plymouth this happens, to be fair. All of English football seems to be consumed by copying what "the big boys" do. Why do we have music following a goal? Because the club came up with it through a brainstorming session, or because they seen Man Utd do it? It might work at Old Trafford in front of 70,000, but it's plain dumb at Argyle (or Bury, Rochdale, Exeter etc). Why charge 4 quid for a pasty when you can get it for half of that in town? Double the price for chocolate bars, tea, coffee, the whole set-up is designed to extract every last penny out of the fan, and bollocks to the experience they get in return. That's why I no longer feel a part of Argyle, it's just one big rip-off.

Don't even get me started on the cheerleaders. This is Plymouth ffs, not Atlantic City. Try something different - make us unique, make us a ground where home fans want to visit, and away fans hate. Newcastle, as Tyhee said - wtf was that about? Absolute disgrace. I bet we'd do it again given the opportunity. I don't understand how crowds 3 times the size of the vast majority of our competitors can see us produce utter poo, yet we sit there like the mild-mannered Janners we are and just accept it.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I agree about the goal music, however I don't think the music after a goal thing came from the big prem teams. They certainly don't do it at Old Trafford and I don't think they do at Liverpool, City or any of the other big clubs. I think the smaller clubs in all of the leagues introduced it to try and boost atmosphere when there is a smaller crowd.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Daz":2g6sd1k3 said:
I agree about the goal music, however I don't think the music after a goal thing came from the big prem teams. They certainly don't do it at Old Trafford and I don't think they do at Liverpool, City or any of the other big clubs. I think the smaller clubs in all of the leagues introduced it to try and boost atmosphere when there is a smaller crowd.
always disliked it when played at Loftus Road :thumbdown:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I agree with most of what BG said in his last post.

I'm not sure what can be achieved though it is endemic in football.

The Newcastle 'event' was I think not thought through but before the timeline if mixed which people like to do when it suits them, that was the previous regime, and by that time, their thought processes and logic were probably shot to hell.

I did take the opportunity to walk onto the old pitch though, had a few chats with Geordies and they couldn't believe what PAFC did that night.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I woke up this morning thinking about this thread (don't ask me why) and I realised there is no easy answer to whether I'm proud of Argyle.

I'd like to be, I really would, and I am insofar as Argyle are 'my team', I was born in Plymouth and my Dad started taking me when I was about 5. This gives me over 50 years of support although, on many occasions like now, I live so far away I am unable to attend more than once or twice a season.

But pride isn't just about being there, is it? It is how you feel when you first tell a new acquaintance that you support Plymouth Argyle, it is how you react to countless references to those 'plucky Pilgrims' after another cup defeat and it is how you can retain an air of superiority over the 'plastics' in the workplace/pub.

I don't always bother to tell of my allegiance anymore, I'm p*ssed off with being plucky, (I want to win something) and I don't really feel superior to fans of Crawley and Yeovil, let alone Man City and United.

However:
I AM proud of the Argyle teams that won promotions, that managed 3 cup runs to sem-finals in my life time.
I'm NOT proud of the Board, this one or any of them. No ambition, no support of successful managers (Waiters, Allison, Warnock, Holloway, to name but a few).
I AM proud of players that try (Wotton and Norris for example... for you more recent viewers).
I'm NOT proud of the time it has taken for the stadium to be finished or for the utter confusion of what it will be like.
I AM proud of me Dad, who has been to nearly every home game since WWII, but who never goes on about what a superfan he is.
I'm NOT proud of the fact that he will almost certainly never see Argyle in the top flight and it is becoming increasingly unlikely that I ever will either.
I AM proud of Steve 'The Gym' Evans, who, if you knew him like I do, you would realise he is totally green-blooded... and of Cobi, who I have never met, but his enthusiasm at such a young age, in such an abysmal League and with all the flak he gets, should be an inspiration to us all.
I'm NOT proud of the communications dept who have continuously failed to link the club to the city and catchment areas... as well as that massive o.g. with Newcastle of course.
I AM proud of the many, many hours spent with Tyhee and others, in the pub before and after matches for some great banter and real friendship. I think we always managed to get to the games despite knowing we'd have had far more fun staying in the pub!
I'm NOT proud of Pasoti, which divides the fanbase so often and has a 3 trillion page thread on word association!
I AM proud of my sons, who I started taking on the Spion Kop like my Dad did with me and who, despite neither of them growing up or ever living in Plymouth, have always been green.

So, I guess, I'm proud of the people I have known in relation to Argyle, but not of the running of the club itself.

I just hope for some long term success... for us all!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep covers it for me for the most part.

Apart from the Steve Evans part of course. :greensmile:

Mind you though, I still listen to every Argyle game, watch every Argyle goal, and read every Argyle article, I just won't let anyone know.

It's a bit like a boys first "magazine". You can't stop looking at it, but you're too embarrassed to admit to it. :oops:

S

satfan

tigertony":5u1cv3jx said:
Steve.PAFC2012":5u1cv3jx said:
On the pitch I'm confident we have what it takes to mount a promotion push although I'm still not 100% convinced by Sheridan but I don't all the blame should be put on him yesterday (No doubt demportdave will have a rant saying I'm wrong despite me being there)

Off the pitch however it just appears to be a shambles.
There lies some of the problem. We, as fans, are worried about finances, ballons, budgets, HP, HHP etc and a lack of clear communication and a dose of human nature means we fear the worst. Just tell us whether its good news or bad news - just tell us!

Ironically good results and performances could make a huge difference for example promotion through play-offs bigger gates tv money Wembley money etc = at least 1.5 million a good start to the season was needed, still not too late Hopefully.