Are we any further forward ? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Are we any further forward ?

Sep 8, 2013
I'd like to be confident, given the freed-up wage bill, but fear that it isn't just spending it on a couple of "on paper" quality acquisitions. It's more imo spending it on what the man at the helm MUST surely have realised has been the difference between us and the successful teams in League Two this season, which, to my mind has been a dominant midfield one which not only offers a stiffer midfield challenge to the oppo but which also links up more with our attacking players. But then again I'm not a professional manager!

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Johndelve":2t6tbc1k said:
Absolutely no chance we would receive a few of £300k for Reid , £100k tops.
41 goals in two seasons and you think we'd only get £100,000?

If it wasn't for the pure lack of alternatives this season, and therefore his burn out, or a poorer team the season before, that 41 could easily be 50.

The best outfield player to play for Argyle in years.

Sep 8, 2013
What an accolade, but not one with which I agree, sadly. Initially I was unimpressed, then was forced to revise my judgement, but finally feel he has (OK, accept that lately he has had an injury) fallen short of expectation.

Mar 18, 2006
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":3b0za9hb said:
Johndelve":3b0za9hb said:

If it wasn't for the pure lack of alternatives this season, and therefore his burn out, or a poorer team the season before, that 41 could easily be 50.

He only has one year left on his contract and Argyle never get decent prices for players .

Best outfield player for me this season was O,Connor . Sadly he will leave shortly to a League One club or a better league 2 club.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
(AO'C)
Which better L2 clubs? Pompey?
I think we've a chance of him doing a 1 year, knowing he could leave 'easily' in Jan if needed.

Mar 18, 2006
Gary_Wills":1wygx3ia said:
(AO'C)
Which better L2 clubs? Pompey?
I think we've a chance of him doing a 1 year, knowing he could leave 'easily' in Jan if needed.

Yep, with a decent Manager now , and financial issues mostly behind them I think Pompey will be strong next season.
I think there will be a number of clubs stronger than they were this season . Oxford appear to be setting out their stall, Luton will improve again and so will others .
Would love to see A O'C stay but he is more than capable of playing at a higher level. He may deem that other teams have a greater opportunity of progression than we do .
Personally, I see a season of change for us next season, lots of personnel changes and hopefully a new Manager who is less negative in his approach than the current one.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Sound thought, jd.
But A O'C is no leader on the pitch is he, much like Stevie Adams, talent unlit, he might stay, up the divisions lads seem to talk as good a game as playing it.
If Pompey get their act together no one can best that, Oxford nah, they couldn't even keep hold of super Luke when they should have!

Aug 12, 2011
Johndelve":2o9ckt9j said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":2o9ckt9j said:
Johndelve":2o9ckt9j said:

He only has one year left on his contract and Argyle never get decent prices for players .

Best outfield player for me this season was O,Connor . Sadly he will leave shortly to a League One club or a better league 2 club.

Big season for RR. Last year of contract, will have to shed some timber. Last chance for golden ticket to decent money. Needs a summer like last year, 100 calories a day max.

Aug 7, 2013
We all shout from the roof tops that we are Plymouth Argyle, a big club in this division. The biggest city in Europe never to have a top flight team!!

But we cant attract real quality. Why? Because players do not see us as a big club! We are a club, positioned far away from most league games that never fulfills its potential. The days of the championship, when we overpaid for quality, are long gone.

The truth of the matter is that Football is now a business and where there is no money, there is no business.
We must be realistic in our approach and UNBIASED!

JS has improved us. JB has stabilized us! We did over achieve last season! And next season will be even harder than this season! Whether JS stays or goes, i don't see us in the play offs next season. Mid table finish. I just cant see us bringing in the quality that is needed to keep us consistent and get us promoted. RR has one year left. Lewi looks like leaving, AOC will more than likely go. Too many gaps in the core of the team now and i have NO faith that JS will fill these. IMO

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Well surely Sheridan can't make the same mistakes on the opening day for a 3rd year in a row: lose 1-0 away from home, players "wingers" who really aren't wingers at all (Alessandra and Banton/Alessandra and Boco) and a left-back woefully out of position (McHugh obviously is a centre-half, Blackman isn't a footballer).

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Dan Ellard":1gxxqgw6 said:
Well surely Sheridan can't make the same mistakes on the opening day for a 3rd year in a row: lose 1-0 away from home, players "wingers" who really aren't wingers at all (Alessandra and Banton/Alessandra and Boco) and a left-back woefully out of position (McHugh obviously is a centre-half, Blackman isn't a footballer).

You reckon :think:

He made the same mistake ( playing the wrong starting XI ) in the 2nd leg of the playoff from the game only 5 days before.
Once can be classified as a mistake twice inside a week is sheer stupidity in my books.
Don't think he has learnt a single thing from this season and in some respects we are further back going into the new season despite the 7th place masking the underlying issues

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we find ourselves in 15/16th position next year unless JB digs deep and backs JS again.
Don't think we will get out of this league without a TEAM mentality and some organisation and tactics so JB may be wasting his money with JS IMHO