Argyle reserves at bickleigh barracks. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle reserves at bickleigh barracks.

L

leisureplymouth

David_Fisher":1rzdswwy said:
Fat_green_belly":1rzdswwy said:
gordon bennett":1rzdswwy said:
There may be some misunderstandings regarding the new team Argyle are entering in the South West Peninsula League next season.
Whilst it may be possible for senior professionals and apprentices to play in this new team, in practice, for very practical reasons, I suspect the majority of regular players in the team are likely to be the 16/18-year-olds enrolled on the two-year Education Scheme run by the Argyle Community Trust.
Most Saturdays John Sheridan is likely to need the vast majority of the senior squad to be required for first team duty. Most weekends, perhaps, at most, no more than two or three professionals are likely to be made available for selection in this new team.
Similarly, most weekends Kevin Hodges may be using the majority of the apprentices in the Academy's Football League Youth Alliance fixtures, so perhaps only a small number of apprentices are likely to be made available for selection in this new team.
In the circumstances, in time the title 'Argyle Reserves' may be seen to be a bit of a misnomer.

Yes gordon, i would expect the team to be a mish/mash of available players depending on game dates and ko times etc. Very little chance of a settled side i would have thought.
As for the title "argyle reserves" thats what they have entered as, so thats why i used the term.
As you know lots about yoof stuff I would be very interested in your views as to why argyle youth have seemingly stopped producing players of the required calibre these last few years?
I really fear for the future of producing our own players if this carries on indeed it is one of the reasons stated
for us entering this team into the SWPL.

The South West Peninsula League is basically a Saturday afternoon league.

In the Western (and Eastern) divisions a small number of clubs have lights so there could be the odd midweek game or Friday evening game.

In the Premier division most clubs have lights. There is a league cup so if Argyle were drawn away to someone like Parkway, Elburton, Ivybridge, Saltash, Torpoint etc there could be an evening game.

You r a n0b aren't u? Sat afternoon league? In what term are you putting it. Sat afternoon who cares? Or the opposite? There's plenty of 1st team games that have been general Saturday footy, but still enjoyable as well as the odd midweek game

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
leisureplymouth":3uiluq3e said:
David_Fisher":3uiluq3e said:
Fat_green_belly":3uiluq3e said:
gordon bennett":3uiluq3e said:
There may be some misunderstandings regarding the new team Argyle are entering in the South West Peninsula League next season.
Whilst it may be possible for senior professionals and apprentices to play in this new team, in practice, for very practical reasons, I suspect the majority of regular players in the team are likely to be the 16/18-year-olds enrolled on the two-year Education Scheme run by the Argyle Community Trust.
Most Saturdays John Sheridan is likely to need the vast majority of the senior squad to be required for first team duty. Most weekends, perhaps, at most, no more than two or three professionals are likely to be made available for selection in this new team.
Similarly, most weekends Kevin Hodges may be using the majority of the apprentices in the Academy's Football League Youth Alliance fixtures, so perhaps only a small number of apprentices are likely to be made available for selection in this new team.
In the circumstances, in time the title 'Argyle Reserves' may be seen to be a bit of a misnomer.

Yes gordon, i would expect the team to be a mish/mash of available players depending on game dates and ko times etc. Very little chance of a settled side i would have thought.
As for the title "argyle reserves" thats what they have entered as, so thats why i used the term.
As you know lots about yoof stuff I would be very interested in your views as to why argyle youth have seemingly stopped producing players of the required calibre these last few years?
I really fear for the future of producing our own players if this carries on indeed it is one of the reasons stated
for us entering this team into the SWPL.

The South West Peninsula League is basically a Saturday afternoon league.

In the Western (and Eastern) divisions a small number of clubs have lights so there could be the odd midweek game or Friday evening game.

In the Premier division most clubs have lights. There is a league cup so if Argyle were drawn away to someone like Parkway, Elburton, Ivybridge, Saltash, Torpoint etc there could be an evening game.

You r a n0b aren't u? Sat afternoon league? In what term are you putting it. Sat afternoon who cares? Or the opposite? There's plenty of 1st team games that have been general Saturday footy, but still enjoyable as well as the odd midweek game

Surely he is just saying that the league is played on a Saturday because many clubs don't have lights to play midweek evening games? Because Argyle play on a Saturday afternoon the availability of 'first team squad/'real' reserves will be limited so youths etc will play.
Can't see why that makes him a nĂ³b??

May 8, 2011
According to Mike Sampson in the Sunday Independent today the SW Peninsula League AGM is this Tuesday at Eggbuckland School.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Well, Argyle have solved the Bickleigh Barracks access problems by moving the home venue for the so-called reserve team to Newton Flaming Abbot.

Same for the Under 18s so no more enjoyable mornings at Haye Road.

Jan 3, 2013
Fat_green_belly":3go6ks7z said:
memory man":3go6ks7z said:
When I first started to go to Argyle in 1958 the South Western side played their home games on a Monday evening at Home Park. I think that was the case well into the 60s. It gave the manager a chance to see the younger players, trialists and any first teamers returning from injury. Okay, there was a reserve side too but anyone edging back from serious injury started back in the third team. Long time ago but I really enjoyed going - it was free with my season ticket and more interesting than homework.

Yeh. I remember watching western league games at HP. Welton rovers is one that springs to mind. Cant seem to put a date on it though.
Late 60s we had a third team i think but i remember an exschoolmate called dave pook trialling in a game and that must have been late 70s so not sure. Oh for your memory MM.
Most games i saw were the combination games. That youth side of 75 used to play all the reserve games and they were really good.
Bobby howe was the coach and kev hodges who came from bournemouth with him was one of many who made it professionaly from that team.
pookie! He went to Torquay didn't he?

Knarf Reprah":1zar3jxj said:
Fat_green_belly":1zar3jxj said:
memory man":1zar3jxj said:
When I first started to go to Argyle in 1958 the South Western side played their home games on a Monday evening at Home Park. I think that was the case well into the 60s. It gave the manager a chance to see the younger players, trialists and any first teamers returning from injury. Okay, there was a reserve side too but anyone edging back from serious injury started back in the third team. Long time ago but I really enjoyed going - it was free with my season ticket and more interesting than homework.

Yeh. I remember watching western league games at HP. Welton rovers is one that springs to mind. Cant seem to put a date on it though.
Late 60s we had a third team i think but i remember an exschoolmate called dave pook trialling in a game and that must have been late 70s so not sure. Oh for your memory MM.
Most games i saw were the combination games. That youth side of 75 used to play all the reserve games and they were really good.
Bobby howe was the coach and kev hodges who came from bournemouth with him was one of many who made it professionaly from that team.
pookie! He went to Torquay didn't he?

Sorry i cannot remember where he went only that he played RB in that reserve game
and i recognised him straight away.
I knew him as he was the "main man" in my schools football team. Burrington SM in the
late 60s. John kitto as it is now. He wasnt in my class so i didnt know him apart
from him being the stand out player in the school team at that time. I used to watch
some games after school on the pitch which was about where the industrial units are now.
Time dont half fly?