Back to 4-4-2? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Back to 4-4-2?

C

Cobi Budge.

HarlHM":1ms0fqcr said:
At Hartlepool, I'd go:

---------- McCormick/Bittner -----------
Mellor - Nelson - McHugh - Purrington
------------- Lee - Norburn -------------
Alessandra ---- B.Reid -------- Banton
----------------- R.Reid -----------------

I agree with the formation but Lee above Cox?

Agree Cox hasn't been amazing of late but from what I've seen of Lee he shouldn't be a pro footballer, and the majority of Brum fans would say the same.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
HarlHM":wu5y55vx said:
soccerpilgrim":wu5y55vx said:
run_PAFC":wu5y55vx said:
I also think we need a change. I don't think any team can go on indefinitely with the same system - it becomes easy for the opposition to do their homework.

4-1-3-2

Luke

Purrington
mchugh
nelson
mellor

Cox

Alessandra
Norburn
B.Reid

R.Reid
Brunt

Not sure if I quite get this one!

The quality of Nelson, Hartley, McHugh means we definitely have a squad set up to play with 3 centre-backs and we have Flanagan with us now too, of course. I find what's changed 5-2-1-2 from being very successful to the boring, ineffective style it gives us now, are the performances of the wing-backs, Reuben Reid and Alessandra. At one time, Mellor, Bobby Reid, Kellett, Reuben Reid and Alessandra all linked up with each other very well but Mellor hasn't made a decent run in weeks, while Reuben always seems to receive the ball out wide now? I also think we Cox needs another CM of O'Connor's quality, as neither Lee or Norburn are there for me. I think that could potentially be Blizzard but an O'Connor return is what we really want.
Nothing you said countered what he said.

I didn't get the formation or line-up - just didn't look good to me!

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
HarlHM":1fum4rt6 said:
At Hartlepool, I'd go:

Was this considering Hartley and Blizzard as fit or injured? And Cox is better than Lee and Norburn!

soccerpilgrim":330omb6v said:
HarlHM":330omb6v said:
soccerpilgrim":330omb6v said:
run_PAFC":330omb6v said:
I also think we need a change. I don't think any team can go on indefinitely with the same system - it becomes easy for the opposition to do their homework.

4-1-3-2

Luke

Purrington
mchugh
nelson
mellor

Cox

Alessandra
Norburn
B.Reid

R.Reid
Brunt

Not sure if I quite get this one!

The quality of Nelson, Hartley, McHugh means we definitely have a squad set up to play with 3 centre-backs and we have Flanagan with us now too, of course. I find what's changed 5-2-1-2 from being very successful to the boring, ineffective style it gives us now, are the performances of the wing-backs, Reuben Reid and Alessandra. At one time, Mellor, Bobby Reid, Kellett, Reuben Reid and Alessandra all linked up with each other very well but Mellor hasn't made a decent run in weeks, while Reuben always seems to receive the ball out wide now? I also think we Cox needs another CM of O'Connor's quality, as neither Lee or Norburn are there for me. I think that could potentially be Blizzard but an O'Connor return is what we really want.
Nothing you said countered what he said.

I didn't get the formation or line-up - just didn't look good to me!

What's there not to get?! Back 4, Cox to protect back 4 and the others more attack minded.. we need goals!

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
You have Norburn playing Bobby's position, who you have as a winger if I've read it right. And surely just Cox in CM leaves us a little light against their midfield? I know we need goals but surely it's about good quality players playing in tbeir best positions, rather than just throwing a load of players in, in all the wrong places.

Jun 11, 2012
soccerpilgrim":2mu32uad said:
HarlHM":2mu32uad said:
At Hartlepool, I'd go:

Was this considering Hartley and Blizzard as fit or injured? And Cox is better than Lee and Norburn!
Either. I wouldn't go with them for this one.

I disagree re. Cox.

Jun 11, 2012
Cobi Budge.":22lig7yg said:
HarlHM":22lig7yg said:
At Hartlepool, I'd go:

I agree with the formation but Lee above Cox?
I like the look of him.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I don't think 3-5-2 is at the root of our problems at all but sometimes a change just to freshen things up can breathe new life into a team and improve things even if it is merely putting a sticking plaster over a more serious wound. Sod it, let's give 4-2-3-1 a try with a roaming three behind Reuben.

E

Ed_Blackburn

Do we really have wingers? A narrow midfield would suit 4-3-3 more with our squad? One of the defensive midfielders can sit so deep you could switch between 3-5-2 and 4-3-1-2 seamlessly?

Alternatively 3-4-3 maybe viable?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I think 3-5-2 is the formation that suits this squad the best. Once Hartley is back fit we've got 3 extremely good centre-backs, only one winger in the squad and Reuben needs someone up front with him because he doesn't work the channels nearly well enough to play the lone role up front. I'd go for this at Hartlepool:

McCormick (if fit)

Nelson
McHugh
Hartley

Mellor (again if fit)
Cox
Bobby Reid
Purrington

Banton

Reuben Reid
Thomas

I really want to put Norburn in there somewhere but I just don't see how we accomodate him and Bobby in the same team - neither of them can do the furthest forward midfield role and we can't play them both deeper because there's no ball winner.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Dan Ellard":3enfzs76 said:
I really want to put Norburn in there somewhere but I just don't see how we accomodate him and Bobby in the same team - neither of them can do the furthest forward midfield role and we can't play them both deeper because there's no ball winner.
4-3-2-1
It's quite negative though and lacks width and would mean dropping Hartley or McHugh (or accommodating one of them) so probably not worth it. Having said that, the team below doesn't look too bad;
McCormick
Mellor Nelson McHugh Hartley (Played there quite a lot for Stevenage apparently)
Norburn Cox B. Reid
Alessandra Banton
R. Reid

Apr 30, 2011
I think a 4 2 3 1 may suit us better.

Norburn and Coxy holding the midfield. Thomas and Lewi outwide, with Bobby playing in behind RR.