Banton, the key to our success! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Banton, the key to our success!

Apr 30, 2011
PL2 3DQ":1np5bi3q said:
Greenskin":1np5bi3q said:
philevs":1np5bi3q said:
Banton, the key to our success: the right winger we are looking for!
Really, he must be. He is a great ball-player, why play him on the left, when he always cones inside?!
We need to do better away, so this must mean taking teams by surprise: he is our man, but on the right wing, not the f……. left!

Can someone please suggest this to JS?!

Banton's success in a previous guise at the club came almost entirely when he played on the left.

Write to JS and suggest it yourself.

I reckon he played his best when he played in the middle behind Reid during his loan spell.
When fit and confident he'd be perfect for the Bobby Reid role between midfield and the strikers if he's willing to track back which he showed signs of doing earlier this season.

Agree 100%. Absolute sense.

C

Cobi Budge.

If he is to be played I'd play him upfront.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the view that he should play CAM, he is guilty of losing the ball cheaply wherever he plays, that's a position in which you can't do that, it would put far too much pressure on the CM's.

Jun 11, 2012
Cobi Budge.":39xulfjf said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand the view that he should play CAM, he is guilty of losing the ball cheaply wherever he plays, that's a position in which you can't do that, it would put far too much pressure on the CM's.
Too much pressure on the 2 defensive midfielders and 3 strong centre backs?

I'm sorry, but I don't get your reasoning.

Jun 8, 2014
He also played there vs Mansfield and looked very dangerous. His distribution was noticeable very good also.

C

Cobi Budge.

My reasoning is there's no point in having a midfielder who continually cheaply loses possession, yes we have 2 strong CM's but why put them under more pressure than needs be? Just seems like a needless risk. Blizzard shields them to a degree and in my view is a better option than Banton there, who is more of a striker or LM.

Jun 8, 2014
If your logic is correct in that he 'cheaply loses possession' (and you make it out as though he never keeps it) then it's irrelevant where we play him, as his lack of ball retention will always put more pressure on the other areas of the team.

So that logic of not playing him CAM, doesn't work.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Cobi Budge.":4hnz7j7h said:

We are almost totally reliant on Reid and Alessandra to score all of our goals.

In particular, we are getting no goals whatsoever from Blizzard, Cox, O'Connor, Harvey or Norburn.

We will not even make the play-offs never mind automatic promotion if we don't get 15-20 goals from the rest of the team over the full season because we will probably need to score at least 60 goals this season because it won't be 1-0 thanks to Reid or Alessandra every week.

If Banton is going to lose the ball, and what player doesn't, I'd rather it was in their third of the pitch where it is less likely to hurt us. We have 2 central midfielders who are always at least 40 yards from goal and there are 3 central defenders behind them and 2 speedy wing-backs as well. We have enough cover.

But if he did play as the attacking central midfielder he would at least offer a goal threat if he can get into more advanced central positions, as he did first time round when his 6 goals in a pretty average team were vital.

The central midfielders I have listed above will not score 5 goals between them all season and that is what is going to kill our promotion challenge if Sheridan does not address it.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Just out of interest, why do you assume the defence WON'T keep up their good form but assume the attack WILL keep up their poor form?

I'm not naive or green-tinted but I do believe in being even handed. Harvey, Blizzard, Mellor or Kellett could in theory go on a goalscoring run. Would I bet my life on it? No. But you can't guarantee that the above won't happen and yet also guarantee the defence won't carry on keeping clean sheets. Either could happen and either could not- and whilst I agree that the lack of goals from midfield is our achilles heel, it is important to remember that.

L

lewjam14

demportdave":3lw223iw said:
Cobi Budge.":3lw223iw said:

In particular, we are getting no goals whatsoever from Blizzard, Cox, O'Connor, Harvey or Norburn.

We will not even make the play-offs never mind automatic promotion if we don't get 15-20 goals from the rest of the team over the full season because we will probably need to score at least 60 goals this season because it won't be 1-0 thanks to Reid or Alessandra every week.

If Banton is going to lose the ball, and what player doesn't, I'd rather it was in their third of the pitch where it is less likely to hurt us. We have 2 central midfielders who are always at least 40 yards from goal and there are 3 central defenders behind them and 2 speedy wing-backs as well. We have enough cover.

But if he did play as the attacking central midfielder he would at least offer a goal threat if he can get into more advanced central positions, as he did first time round when his 6 goals in a pretty average team were vital.

The central midfielders I have listed above will not score 5 goals between them all season and that is what is going to kill our promotion challenge if Sheridan does not address it.

we try and walk the ball in the net and don't shot, we have only had 2 goals out of the box witch ironically blizzard scored and Harvey from a free kick , but we need to shot more, the weekend we only had something of 10 shots and that's poor

Dec 17, 2013
Bodmin/Birmingham
lewjam14":2hsuxyk6 said:
demportdave":2hsuxyk6 said:
Cobi Budge.":2hsuxyk6 said:

we try and walk the ball in the net and don't shot, we have only had 2 goals out of the box witch ironically blizzard scored and Harvey from a free kick , but we need to shot more, the weekend we only had something of 10 shots and that's poor
I thought Blizzard was inside the box and what about Reuben vs Cheltenham?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Alessandra and Smalley v Swindon
Thomas v Hartlepool
Harvey v Exeter

Were outside the box. Blizzard v Luton and Reid v Cheltenham were inside

Feb 21, 2011
For me Bantons only position is the one currently occupied by Allesandra, given that Lewi is putting in a shift and scoring fairly regularly of late then I couldn't get Banton in my team, certainly not at CAM his inability to tackle the major factor against. Same argument goes for Harvey.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Think Sheffield United might be the game to give Banton a start playing centrally up front.

Not fussy who gets left out, Reid or Alessandra but time for a change just to freshen things up.

Reid looked knackered after an hour today (again) and Alessandra although he gave his usual 100%, was once again profligate when he had the chance to put the game away for us.

Probably need to bring in Norburn or Harvey as well seeing that Bristol City won't let Bobby Reid play.