Brief Synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
only one winner once Boeteng had thumped home a strong header from a cracking in swinging corner.

Luke made a few decent stops early on but they faded badly and wasted any decent positions they got into 2nd half with some terrible balls in.

tannner proved that he's a lot better through the centre than he is on the wing and his performance tonight meant we never missed Carey. His goal was a cracking run and finish and pretty much finished the contest after 49 mins!!!!

could and should have had more in the final 20 mins as Wydle was wasteful/ incredibly greedy and blew at least 4 chances shooting instead of passing and then failing to find totally unmarked team mates but that's a minor gripe.

City reminded me of a lower league Arsenal with their tippy tippy style but looked very lightweight. Big Clinton came on and looked like he was playing walking football and even got a mouthful from a pitch invader from the Devonport.!!!!!
He wouldn't get within a country mile of our team and the gulf between us seems to of increased alot since the last Johnson paint game.

Oh and if the City fans spent as much time and energy getting behind their team as they do abusing McCormick then they may of got a bit closer to us. Glad he always raises his game against them

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think City were very lucky to get nil.

Purrrrrrrrrrr.

{Gloat}

A

acorn

Best £17.60 I have spent in years. Don't care what you call the cup, this was entertainment at it's best.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
2ilf2x2.jpg

Time for a present to yourself maybe Clinton?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Whilst Tanner will get all the plaudits I thought Josh Simpson had his best game for Argyle,and looks a lot fitter. A classy player with excellent control.Doesn't deserve to be dropped after that performance, so I will be interested to see who lines up in midfield at Notts County.

C

Cobi Budge.

Many saying they are getting bored of this derby, meh, I might say that inbetween matches, but the truth is, I'm not getting bored of beating those lot and I don't think I will for a while to come. Always a great feeling.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
After their performances tonight it will be tough on Purrington, Simpson and Tanner to be dropped for the game against Notts County but Adams has to bring back Sawyer, McHugh and Carey, unless Carey has an injury.

5000th game and execeter depart with their tails between their legs yet again.
Twas always the same.
Unfortunately i missed the last 15 as i had to get me bus home. Crappy old floodlights.
What i did see was argyle outclassing them for most of the game. Lots of controlled passing
with width in that first half. Wylde again causing problems with his pace. Lots of chances
created but a pacy tanner corner headed in by boeteng was our only reward in that first half.
Second half and a wonderful tanner solo goal on our first counter of the second half doubled
the lead. Argyle should have scored 4 or 5 more on the counter shortly afterwards with a bit
more decisive play. Credit execeter though as they kept on attacking but we should have buried
them on the counter.
Tanner had his best game that i have seen him play so far. In careys role behind RR.
An assist and a goal but should have scored and made more. Wylde again with his pace causing
them all kinds of problems. His final ball or shot still letting him down but he is improving
fast. Coming off the flank more as well. Simpson and boeteng had fine games although they
dont screen the back 4 as well as mchugh. Execeter threatening with several long rangers.
Overall though we benefited from them as a pair as they were both excellent together going forward.
My MOM was RR as he did everything that we need him to do in this system. He will score lots of
goals for us if he can just keep playing like he did tonight.
My first view of ben purrington and he did just fine. A good prospect.
Thats 3 home games and 3 wins and the best thing for me is that we have improved in each of them.
The squad players are stepping up when required. Although its still a long way to go yet
this team is starting to look the business. Lovely football with it as well.
The other really good thing about tonight was our fans were REALLY LOUD.
Argyyyle! booming around the stadium. Wonderful stuff. It lifted me so im darned sure it
lifted our players as well.

Jul 29, 2010
tonsk":2qd8mjmu said:
X Isle":2qd8mjmu said:
Glimpses of my long sought 'comfortable possession', City held at arms length for large periods, especially the first half.

Second half was more frustrating. We made them look good at times when by rights they should've been kept at arms length again.

Second goal went to us this time which made the frustration less scary. Might have been missed but an assist for the second goal for Craig Brewster. Just beforehand he came out to point out to Hartley that there was an outlet ball to Wylde available rather than the hoof upfield he dispatched. Seconds later Hartley again won possession in the box and this time he looked up and put Tanner away, the rest is history. Good coaching that :clap:

All round it ended conformably, a good performance. The score would've been more comfortable too if some of our players showed the composure to pass rather than go for a showboat shot, chief culprit Greg Wylde who I thought was awful.

MOM for me was Reuben, absolutely immense.

While it would have been a better option to pass on occasion, I am happy to see players having the confidence to take it on. For the last few seasons, the ball would have been laid off but the receiver would then lay it off again...and again until the chance was gone. A totally different mindset to this set of players.

tonsk

Fair enough as a general point but when the same individual keeps doing it with zero results whilst other players have busted a gut to get into better positions than where he was shooting from?

We had a three on one at one stage. Wylde was left and in possession with the one City defender on his heels and their keeper facing him. Jake and (I think) Brunt were central, unmarked and looking at an open goal.

OK so tonight it didn't matter that we didn't score it. But in tighter games to come, selfish glory hunting over team objectives will cost us points.

I'm all for positivity but i'm MORE for good decision making.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I have no idea about Exeter's players - anyone know if was that close to a first team line up?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm pretty sure it was. If if wasn't they'd be using it as an excuse.

I don't they played badly, I think we were simply far, far better than them.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
PL2 3DQ":1upx50ok said:
After their performances tonight it will be tough on Purrington, Simpson and Tanner to be dropped for the game against Notts County but Adams has to bring back Sawyer, McHugh and Carey, unless Carey has an injury.
After the result itself, this is the next best news. It proves that further into winter when the yellow cards or injuries start to bite, the strength of the squad players will ensure the changes will be seamless.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
IJN":34oaipuv said:
I don't they played badly, I think we were simply far, far better than them.

To be fair to them, from what I saw on Exeweb last night, their fans conceded the same.

Credit due to Adams & Argyle. It's the best I've seen them play as a team since we've played them regularly - moving well in possession, disciplined when not and covering a lot of ground. And no niggly play either.

Don't think we were bad, just Argyle were the better side. Two pretty poor goals to concede I think. First a header from a corner with the second a counter attack goal after we gave it away on the edge of their box.

Derby or not, Pretty impressive crowd for a Mickey Mouse competition.
Gargoyle are going well this season, we'll need to up our game in the league matches

Argyle were miles ahead of us; passion, skill, pace, desire, movement, anticipation, organisation, strength etc etc. We were embarrassingly bad, and if that is all our so called squad can serve up, I'm tempted to think we might even struggle this year. Very disappointing.