Budget v other League 1 teams | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Budget v other League 1 teams

Jan 7, 2013
No one knows what the actual budget is but to me it doesn't seem right that we are losing out to the likes of Oldham for players like Doyle who has by all accounts already had a big impact on their performances.. Very frustrating for us fans even more so for DA I'd imagine.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
We don't just lose out on players because of money. We lose out on players because they don't want to come down to Plymouth and be away from football hotbeds.

Is it any wonder that our best players of years past have been from abroad whereby the geography is not quite so telling on a map. Friio, Larrieu, Buzaky, Halmosi, Carey... after which we have the journeymen players that are better than their history proclaims but soon move on when others come calling BWP, Ebanks-Blake etc.

That's one of the reasons that DAs time should have been better soent chasing likely transfers instead of the waste of time tour of Holland.

Mar 8, 2016
clokey84":n8rhgyam said:
No one knows what the actual budget is but to me it doesn't seem right that we are losing out to the likes of Oldham for players like Doyle who has by all accounts already had a big impact on their performances.. Very frustrating for us fans even more so for DA I'd imagine.

Yeah maybe, I think losing out on Doyle may have been more due to the players preference on location, as mad as it sounds some people actually like living up north. Also we brought in ciftci, he probably earns a decent amount at Celtic and we will be paying a % of his wages. maybe the budget could have been spent a little more wisely.

Oct 24, 2013
Starnes comments juxtapose somewhat with that of DA. This schism, should it intensify, may well be what ultimately leads to DA’s departure.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
I think Adams probably either chose not to or was unable to sign a proven striker. Possibly along similar lines to the signing of Fox - someone who perhaps is past their prime but has a bit of guile and technique. Having an Evans or Hayles would transform our attack. A BWP-esque striker would be fine but without a more effective midfield would not work - remember how ineffectual he was when he was relying on 'triers' like Clarke and had to play alongside Fallon? In league one Noone blossomed and suddenly we were able to create the clear goal scoring chances a BWP relies on. Noone and Bolasie were playing in the Premiership a couple of years later. No criticism of our current wingers but I don't think the same fate awaits them.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
clokey84":31ye7kmd said:

What was Doyle's last team? Where do you reckon his family lives? Come on now, play fair.

Oct 24, 2013
Green_Matt":3n8k6r1f said:
I think Adams probably either chose not to or was unable to sign a proven striker. Possibly along similar lines to the signing of Fox - someone who perhaps is past their prime but has a bit of guile and technique. Having an Evans or Hayles would transform our attack. A BWP-esque striker would be fine but without a more effective midfield would not work - remember how ineffectual he was when he was relying on 'triers' like Clarke and had to play alongside Fallon? In league one Noone blossomed and suddenly we were able to create the clear goal scoring chances a BWP relies on. Noone and Bolasie were playing in the Premiership a couple of years later. No criticism of our current wingers but I don't think the same fate awaits them.

Is it just me or are you describing Rickie Lambert?

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
It doesn't matter what your budget is. If you are down here in the "soccer wilds" it isn't that easy to get players to come down. Especially the younger ones, they are much more likely to be noticed by bigger clubs if they can go to a club in the north or London. Why would they come down here?

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
lyndhurst green":92064z8g said:
Green_Matt":92064z8g said:

Is it just me or are you describing Rickie Lambert?
He would be one example though you have to wonder why a recent England international is without a club.