(Can we have) Stadium expansion? | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

(Can we have) Stadium expansion?

Sep 22, 2020
the club seem to have no desire to increase the capacity of Home Park or sell more season tickets.

They would prefer to optimise the income they can get from making people join evergreedy to get a match ticket so that demand remains high and they can sell a seat for far more than the £25 (ie plus the evergreedy fee).

i suspect we are not far off season ticket procedure being changed so the discounted price is removed completely. season tickets used to be a way of funding cash over the summer months to pay players whilst no games took place. Does not seem so necessary now.

Jan 6, 2004
the club seem to have no desire to increase the capacity of Home Park or sell more season tickets.

They would prefer to optimise the income they can get from making people join evergreedy to get a match ticket so that demand remains high and they can sell a seat for far more than the £25 (ie plus the evergreedy fee).

i suspect we are not far off season ticket procedure being changed so the discounted price is removed completely. season tickets used to be a way of funding cash over the summer months to pay players whilst no games took place. Does not seem so necessary now.
I do expect a hefty increase in season ticket prices given demand outstrips supply and given that if you cannot go to a match you can always sell your ticket back.

They cannot just click their fingers and magic up a bigger stadium. They previously stated the need for it had to be proved, this season has proved it. Now they have to plan it and find the money to pay for it. We would have the same capacity for next season even if the club had plans and finance in place and ready to go.

Last edited:

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
I'm sure they do have a desire to increase the capacity, but these things take time and money.
and confidence that the investment will show a return. If we'd been relegated this season and then spent 10 years in L1, it would have been a terrible / no return on investment

Reactions: Quinny
Jan 6, 2004
and confidence that the investment will show a return. If we'd been relegated this season and then spent 10 years in L1, it would have been a terrible / no return on investment
From what Simon has said in that portcullis podcast I think he is now persuaded that expanding the stadium would likely produce a return, so that hurdle is cleared, but he does not currently have the funds to pay for it (and is presumably still against putting the club in debt). I think we will need a new investor who is happy to put money into infrastructure as well as the playing squad for it to happen.

Feb 11, 2024
You could argue that with any club though. Its like the equivalent of not taking a mortgage out on a house you can easily affort just in case you lose your job in the future. Theres cautious and then there is... well cautious beyond belief. I feel another season in the champ with full houses then there is no excuse for not expanding.

Feb 8, 2005
From what Simon has said in that portcullis podcast I think he is now persuaded that expanding the stadium would likely produce a return, so that hurdle is cleared, but he does not currently have the funds to pay for it (and is presumably still against putting the club in debt). I think we will need a new investor who is happy to put money into infrastructure as well as the playing squad for it to happen.
I'm not sure that we will find an investor that will be willing to put his money into the playing budget until the infrastructure is in place. No point in spending money on players if the club aren't ready to take advantage of the improvement in spending. It would just be a waste of money.

Feb 8, 2005
You could argue that with any club though. Its like the equivalent of not taking a mortgage out on a house you can easily affort just in case you lose your job in the future. Theres cautious and then there is... well cautious beyond belief. I feel another season in the champ with full houses then there is no excuse for not expanding.
And where is the money to come from? The playing budget? That won't be enough.

Oct 10, 2018
The club have already said they are looking at the feasibility of increasing capacity but currently there are other priorities.
I think attendances will be equally as good next season especially as demand was greater than availability this season bar a couple of midweek fixtures.
The corners whilst looking the obvious place to put seats as they are empty would be the least cost effective.
Barring a major expansion of the grandstand from new investment the two ends seem to be the most cost effective way forward, starting with the Devonport End.
The changing rooms corner might yet be needed for changing room and fitness room expansion, press or tv room space or more corporate space?
Bobby's garden corner houses the control room and an increase to the Devonport end could take up some of that space anyway.
Over the next couple of years we have to complete Brickfields, finish the first team training facilities at Harper's and possibly sort out the upper grandstand seating issues.
By then I think the board will have a good idea of demand and the cost effectiveness of any increase. I think almost all of us would like to see a 20,000 or more stadium but a little more patience will be required.
Amen, that's a real objective look at it. Some fans for forget we were only just seeing dry land from the drowning waters when SH came on board.

Look at the progress made, SH is addressing the decades overdue investment in training and academy structure.

He is already seeking advice snd appraising expansion costs and options, however the costs being given aren't feasible whilst the latter is already committed to in revenue.

So once Brickfields is complete end of 2025, that's only 16th months, then this will be the next phase.

Reactions: Jonesy
Jan 6, 2004
I'm not sure that we will find an investor that will be willing to put his money into the playing budget until the infrastructure is in place. No point in spending money on players if the club aren't ready to take advantage of the improvement in spending. It would just be a waste of money.
The investors that left thought the opposite - they wanted more in the playing budget and less in infrastructure

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Expanding the stadium is still ‘sexier’ and more visible than investing in academy and training facilities, perhaps that will be an appeal to an incoming investor.

I imagine the first team training facilities are the next big priority, ahead of capacity though.

Reactions: UptheTamar

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

The investors in Argyle Green who left wanted money to go into the squad instead of infrastructure