(Can we have) Stadium expansion? | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

(Can we have) Stadium expansion?

Jul 12, 2016
So we should not post any opinion about how the club should spend money because it is not our money? Really you do have some strange ideas...
Nothing wrong with opinions. Everybody is different. Just trying to explain how impractical it is to do everything desired on a tight budget. Some fans always want more.

Reactions: greenpig27
Jan 6, 2004
Nothing wrong with opinions. Everybody is different. Just trying to explain how impractical it is to do everything desired on a tight budget. Some fans always want more.
I agree, unless we attract a very deep pocketed investor prepared to take a long term view, the reality is that significant stadium redevelopment would probably have to be bank financed, which, if things go wrong and the anticipated revenue never arrives, could ultimately put the club at risk. It is definitely a conundrum.

Reactions: oldage
Sep 17, 2017
Agree with this in principle, reckon we should be focussing on team development and management appointments.
Much as I love the idea of more bums on seats.. priority for now must be the squad.
The purchasing of the GT build, will generate more income through Hospitality. It has to be small steps forward imo
You are correct however in his latest podcast with Trev CEO of Portcullis legals Simon Hallett states that ’Bums on seats ‘ is guaranteed income whereas a £2m striker is not. So as ever there has to be a balance. Yes we need a squad capable of competing at this level but stadium expansion must be very high on the priority list, building a bigger fan base for future development is critical to the club long term.

zakbrown96

✅ Evergreen
Mar 22, 2013
I was thinking about an extension but outside of the ground before a game. Club struggles with the crowds trying to get in. Takes an age to get through the security checks in devonport, Would we even have the space in terms of queueing etc for a much higher capacity? In todays mad age of health and safety regulations 🙄

Dec 9, 2012
Bournemouth survive on less attendance than Argyle but they must have backers with deep pockets?
The TV revenue they receive will be far higher than gate receipts on their small crowds. A relegation followed by a failure to get back to the PL would put them back to more or less where they started out.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know if any PL teams make more money from gate receipts than TV revenue? I'd be surprised if any do tbh.

Reactions: David Doidge

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
As a matter of interest, does anyone know if any PL teams make more money from gate receipts than TV revenue? I'd be surprised if any do tbh.

I don’t think so, but Spurs may come closest if you include general matchday income. They make something ridiculous like £5m a game from all the various bars and restaurants + tickets and hospitality.

Jul 29, 2012
I don’t think so, but Spurs may come closest if you include general matchday income. They make something ridiculous like £5m a game from all the various bars and restaurants + tickets and hospitality.
SH alluded to that on the podcast . He mentioned that the average argyle supporter spends £2 per game while at the game and compared it to the Chiefs who were getting around £40. The aim is to make attending HP a day out so that instead of going to a pub you go to the fanzone and spend on food and drink there . They’ve clearly plans to up grade the fanzone - it wouldn’t be a surprise if they have plans to cover it .

Tv money in the prem is a minimum of £80M plus more depending on finishing position plus tv appearances.

Jul 29, 2012
Breaking even and staying up is a very impressive achievement but too close for comfort…
Turnover will have increased by £11M on last year . It will be interesting to see how that is achieved . At a guess

1 £6M extra football league/ tv money
2 £500k ticket sales
3 Fa cup run - but balanced out by Pizza cup
4 Tv money
5 More commercial income /sponsorship
6 Harpers
7 SS compensation

Also how it is spent - at a guess
1 increase in wages for first team
2 Other staff - eg Harpers
3 player purchases
4 stock
5 Ground infrastructure including new academy .
6 IF compensation.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
SH alluded to that on the podcast . He mentioned that the average argyle supporter spends £2 per game while at the game and compared it to the Chiefs who were getting around £40. The aim is to make attending HP a day out so that instead of going to a pub you go to the fanzone and spend on food and drink there . They’ve clearly plans to up grade the fanzone - it wouldn’t be a surprise if they have plans to cover it .

Tv money in the prem is a minimum of £80M plus more depending on finishing position plus tv appearances.
I thought he said £14. ?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The TV revenue they receive will be far higher than gate receipts on their small crowds. A relegation followed by a failure to get back to the PL would put them back to more or less where they started out.

Even a 75,000 capacity selling out all 19 games in the Premier League selling tickets averaging £70 per game (and bear in mind that away tickets are capped at £30) brings in less income than the bottom finishing club’s TV income.

Jul 11, 2022
I seem to remember when the horseshoe was built being told it was easy to install another level on top. Anyone else hear this?