Checkatrade Trophy - Format Survey | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Checkatrade Trophy - Format Survey

Will you attend Checkatrade home games?

• Yes I will attend both games

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I will attend Exeter game only

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I will attend Chelsea game only

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No I will boycott both games

Votes: 76 73.8%

• Total voters
Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
AdelaideGreen":21rm9gvp said:
I agree that the inclusion of the U23 teams is wrong.

However, I am not sure about boycotting all games - why not only boycott the ones that involve the U23 teams? It seems their own supporters are doing this anyway.

If Argyle were playing (say) Pompey or Blackburn perhaps the team deserves support?

Going further, perhaps Argyle and like minded teams should only field their own youth teams against the U23 teams??

By the way, talking about Argyle's youth/development team, the other South West Peninsular League teams are not all supportive of Argyle's inclusion there - so are we being a tad hypocritical?

If we play our youth against the U23's we'll get a fine.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Also, not boycotting all games has given Shaun Harvey an argument to suggest support in the competition. The Wembley final between Oxford and Coventry was well attended because it was a Wembley final between two league teams with good sizes of support.

Many fans who were against B teams convinced themselves that the boycott was no longer needed because there were no B teams remaining in the competition.

Harvey does not care for that reasoning. He used them as an example of support for the new competition's format. The boycott must be ALL games, including the Wembley final. Wembley aint special any more anyway, its Spurs' home ground and soon enough it'll be Chelsea's, etc. The home of English football? Or the home of the highest bidder?

Jul 29, 2010
LeonTheGreen":bp4ehaov said:
AdelaideGreen":bp4ehaov said:

However, I am not sure about boycotting all games - why not only boycott the ones that involve the U23 teams? It seems their own supporters are doing this anyway.

If Argyle were playing (say) Pompey or Blackburn perhaps the team deserves support?

Going further, perhaps Argyle and like minded teams should only field their own youth teams against the U23 teams??

By the way, talking about Argyle's youth/development team, the other South West Peninsular League teams are not all supportive of Argyle's inclusion there - so are we being a tad hypocritical?

As I read the article, we have a free hand in who we play this season, it's the one reasonable consession made.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
LeonTheGreen":3kzvxeo4 said:
AdelaideGreen":3kzvxeo4 said:

We may get a fine but wouldn't it be great if we also got a win?

Sep 25, 2010
X Isle":1iynf4w8 said:
Martyn":1iynf4w8 said:
PAFC94":1iynf4w8 said:
Anyone that is not against this farce of a trophy in it's current guise is an enemy to football. Can't believe so many scabs attended these fixtures last season.

Very OTT
I'd replace "scabs" with 'staggeringly naive automatons', but broadly I agree entirely.

We don't have to wait for the thick end of the wedge to recognise the thin end of it. Unless of course folk are reassured by Sean Harvey's words alone that this isn't a precursor to an EPL B Team league... in which case I raise my descriptor to 'unfathomably naive'.

I am pleased to hear Argyle voted in line with the wishes of the fans. It is a marginal improvement that we can use whichever players we want and give our first team a rest, but it is still a poo sandwich we should not be eating.

I will continue to boycott it, I would urge all others to wake up and smell the coffee and do the same :thumbdown:

X Isle

At last you agree it is a good competition for DA to use the fringe players, from the squad plus some youth players, in this competition.

Good to have you on board about the competition.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Maybe we should get Harvey to put B teams in our leagues as well and encourage Adams to play experimental sides made up of youth and injured players only! Hopefully one of the Reading youth players that was subbed on for the final 15 minutes against us will get sold to Man United and they can win the galactic cup.

And then, of course the galactic cup is of course the feeder league to the Barcelona podium. The ultimate division in which only Barcelona compete. Of course the games are training matches between Barcelona's squad, but without those awful goals to settle the score. No, judges sit on the sidelines and mark the sublime passing of the teams. Goals were too... archaic for pure football. Of course most of the judges are bias, so hopefully soon they'll have technology that decides the scoring for us.

Jul 29, 2010
Martyn":1g8f6vnh said:
X Isle":1g8f6vnh said:
Martyn":1g8f6vnh said:
PAFC94":1g8f6vnh said:
Anyone that is not against this farce of a trophy in it's current guise is an enemy to football. Can't believe so many scabs attended these fixtures last season.

Very OTT
I'd replace "scabs" with 'staggeringly naive automatons', but broadly I agree entirely.

We don't have to wait for the thick end of the wedge to recognise the thin end of it. Unless of course folk are reassured by Sean Harvey's words alone that this isn't a precursor to an EPL B Team league... in which case I raise my descriptor to 'unfathomably naive'.

I am pleased to hear Argyle voted in line with the wishes of the fans. It is a marginal improvement that we can use whichever players we want and give our first team a rest, but it is still a poo sandwich we should not be eating.

I will continue to boycott it, I would urge all others to wake up and smell the coffee and do the same :thumbdown:

X Isle

At last you agree it is a good competition for DA to use the fringe players, from the squad plus some youth players, in this competition.

Good to have you on board about the competition.
Just occasionally athletes foot provides a momentary period of bliss when you scratch it. It doesn't mean you want athletes foot though :wink:

Feb 28, 2016
LeonTheGreen":2vfj3gnt said:
AdelaideGreen":2vfj3gnt said:

We wouldn't be fined, if we play our youth in the league fixture before or after that cup game.

The thing that makes me laugh is people calling it the thin end of the wedge. This is already the thick end of the wedge. Allowing promotion/relegation between a break away group was the thin edge, allowing breakaway clubs in the League Cup, was the thin edge of the wedge. IIRC the only high profile person calling for Prem Clubs to be banned from the League cup was (the then Brentford Chairman, who was prepared to "cut his nose off," to save the football league.) What the Football League clubs should have done is voted against promotion/relegation, struck a TV deal with ITV, after that vile excuse of a man Alan Sugar, fixed the vote to Sky, despite a conflict of interest. And out right refused to acknowledge the winners of the breakaway as Champions of England. The "Associate Members" Cup being over run, is nothing in compassion to 1992. Until someone refuses the promotion to the PL to defend the Football League championship, thus throwing illegitimacy on the top flight competition, until fans boycott the League cup ,then of course the bully boys at the top will continue to do what they like. You're fighting a lost cause I'm afraid, you're a quarter of a centaury too late to the battle. You are fighting a battle in a war we have already lost.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
That just wouldn't have worked. Darts tried that but there was no credibility in having a World Champion coming from a competition that none of the top players were entering.

Oct 24, 2010
Although I am no supporter of this scheme it should be pointed out that this is not a Premier League initiative but the FA’s , misguidedly to benefit the national team. Premier League clubs are unenthusiastic to say the least as evidenced by the number of top clubs who declined to take part last season and the derisory £3m they are prepared to stump up. Premier League clubs are far more likely to bring in a proven foreign player for instant effect rather than nurture the young talent from their youth set up. When they do have young players of the talent who they think may make it in the Premier League they loan them out, mainly to Championship clubs, to get them the necessary experience. I don’t think they are much interested in the Checkatrade Trophy or a fifth league.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
esmer":3fmrdv0z said:
Premier League clubs are far more likely to bring in a proven foreign player for instant effect rather than nurture the young talent from their youth set up. When they do have young players of the talent who they think may make it in the Premier League they loan them out, mainly to Championship clubs, to get them the necessary experience. I don’t think they are much interested in the Checkatrade Trophy or a fifth league.

Well put. The Football League clubs are essentially being asked to demean themselves to help solve a problem of the Premier League's making, which is wholly wrong.

We all know why Premier League youngsters don't get a chance. Why would a PL club risk a youngster when they don't have to, given their massive resources to buy whoever they want? As Deepthroat said... 'follow the money'. That will never, ever happen though, as long as the gravy train keeps rolling.

Player hoarding has to stop but again, that will never happen because the FA are sub-ordinate to the PL's wealth and terrified of the big clubs leaving for a super league.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Is it the EPL's issue, wouldn't seem so.

And I can't think of a sport where the more capable (overseas or not) pro's sit on the sidelines watching kids invest in mistakes, so football is not so insane is it.

How long before a young star, English or otherwise, just plain refuses to entertain the dieing horse which is gratis international football. If there are too many games or a winter break is needed, why not just snub international football and get the required breaks that way? No rule against that is there, seems eminently sensible.

As for the EFL refusing to play ball with the EPL, can't happen can it. EFL has negligible interest overseas does it, hence the minnow to the global big fish the prem is: and that has nothing to do with the England national team which itself has little playing talent and a ludicrously unambitious choice of manager.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
cheshiregreen":3tqp9548 said:
This year's list of teams (reportedly, not yet confirmed).

https://twitter.com/AgainstLeague3/stat ... 1255191554
That list has now been confirmed. So we'll be against one of;
Brighton, Chelsea, Fulham, Reading, Southampton, Swansea, Spurs, West Ham

and then (at least) one of;
Exeter, Yeovil, Crawley, Barnet, Wycombe, Swindon, Colchester, Stevenage, Luton, Cheltenham, Forest Green, Newport

and then either another one from above, or one of;
Portsmouth, Gillingham, Southend, Wimbledon, Charlton, Bristol Rovers, Oxford, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Peterborough, Walsall