Congratulations to the SWPL Team | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Congratulations to the SWPL Team

MarkMatthews":4y1flv5o said:
Fat_green_belly":4y1flv5o said:
MarkMatthews":4y1flv5o said:
Congratulations all round. It's always been entertaining, when ever I've seen them this season, many who played in it also a part of the successful U18's campaign. (The second half of which seemed to me anyway, slightly neglected to fulfil this campaign (a big fixture backlog, I'm in no way suggesting that's a bad thing or criticising.)

Must admit I do despair at the thought of how many will get the continued development over the next 3/5 years that they need on the back of their obvious raw talent and the negative workplace culture they have/will find themselves in. :banghead: But hope they enjoy the moment.
Negative workplace culture?
We have hardly any reserve/combination games at pro level anymore. SWPL premier is the
nearest we are going to get to it. Playing against SWPL premier players under luggy
and holloway didnt harm the youngsters development and it can give first teamers much needed
match practice/fitness as well. Dan gosling came through at that time and the first thing i
noticed about him when he played in the championship was his strength on the ball.
Something lacking in every youth turned pro since i would argue.
Luggy in his time had all the youth age groups playing a year higher so they were always
playing against physically stronger opponents.
Whatever we shall have to wait and see if it works out in the long run.

I've not asked any of them but I wonder if: Tyler Harvey, Ben Purrington, Louis Rooney, Callum Hall, Aaron Bentley and River Allen think PAFC is a "good " or "positive experience" employer, for a young professional? Or if, hand on heart any lad currently doing an apprenticeship with us, can honestly say they feel confident they won't go the same way as any of them! To be fair to counter that argument, if you happen to have been born near a Premier League/Championship/League 1 club and therefore end up in their academy, we are a great employer for you to come down to on loan, learn your trade/make all your mistakes with us, learn from them, only to the long term benefit of your home town club! For its not inexperience or age we discriminate against, its if you have: Plymouth, Devon or Cornwall on your birth certificate. I in particular, take my hat off to: Cory Harvey, Jordan Bentley, Dan Rooney and Tom Purrington. who are sticking with their career path, at a club which they have all seen at close quarters, sell their own brothers down the river! I don't think that would give me much motivation!
It's all very well saying "well that's football", "They are lucky to have got this far" "They're just not good enough" But I genuinely worry about the mental health problems we could end up causing people in their position.

http://www.bullyfreeatwork.com/being-ig ... ng-tactic/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... perts.html
Sorry dont agree with your argument. I am sure the youngsters are looked after well on
all fronts.
What you want is for argyle to go the execeter city way and use less loanees and use more
of their own young players. A long term policy. Execeter are forced into that method though due
to low gates. Tisdale does a great job at it too.
We, being a bigger club have much bigger expectations from our supporters so any deviation from
a short term promotion i fear is doomed im afraid.
The best hope is to get these boys to a higher level of physical and technical ability at an
earlier age. Toughen them up so to speak.
Hopefully then we will get more goslings, masons, stephens and leonards coming through again.

Feb 28, 2016
Well we will have to wait and see where another season of the ideology that saw us not get promoted last season gets us this ( I will concede it has been more entertaining and under a much more personable manager.) The Exeter way is what I want and yes I recognise it's long term and after Sheridan my preference and hope was we could have tempted Tisdale. I also recognise that the chairman and board are going to have to be the ones that make it a requirement of the manager to carry out that vision. They then will also have to lower expectations on where to finish in the league at least initially. I believe it worth investing time in to it. The current philosophy has been failing for years to get us out of this division,(I accept that could change in the next few weeks)but if it fails again I think its time to abandon it and change tack. Who knows where we would be now if we had gone down the "Exeter route 3,4 years ago. What I do know if I had a 15 year old son, who had interest from both us and Exeter, despite all the good work done in our academy, he would be costing me a fortune in train fares.

Apr 4, 2004
MarkMatthews":3ds3u45e said:
Well we will have to wait and see where another season of the ideology that saw us not get promoted last season gets us this ( I will concede it has been more entertaining and under a much more personable manager.) The Exeter way is what I want and yes I recognise it's long term and after Sheridan my preference and hope was we could have tempted Tisdale. I also recognise that the chairman and board are going to have to be the ones that make it a requirement of the manager to carry out that vision. They then will also have to lower expectations on where to finish in the league at least initially. I believe it worth investing time in to it. The current philosophy has been failing for years to get us out of this division,(I accept that could change in the next few weeks)but if it fails again I think its time to abandon it and change tack. Who knows where we would be now if we had gone down the "Exeter route 3,4 years ago. What I do know if I had a 15 year old son, who had interest from both us and Exeter, despite all the good work done in our academy, he would be costing me a fortune in train fares.

I completely agree with all you have said. But I would like to add that I do not think our academy is in a position to supply players that have had a proper football education. I don't mean we don't have the raw talent here or that our players are not good enough, I mean I believe that the football education we are giving is sub standard and therefore our academy is failing to get the boys ready to challenge for league football. Before we can do what Exeter are doing we need to make some very hard but necessary decisions that will fix our player conveyor belt. Because it's broken.

MarkMatthews":2lb3t86l said:
I have sympathy with you on that longer term vision. But i doubt they will change from
throwing everything into a promotion charge again next season if we dont make it. Its hard enough on here
trying to defend a manager after getting a play off place in his first season. Never mind trying
to defend argyle taking another couple or so years to get us up. Mission impossible im afraid.
Should be less loanees next season though as adams should be getting a bigger budget. The new directors
investment should hopefully pay off the last of our debt. So hopefully a few more experienced pros
to help the youngsters along. Thats something tisdale does within his squad. Something we have badly
needed in our small squad this season as well imho.