Creativity - where will the goals come from? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Creativity - where will the goals come from?

Jun 27, 2019
Whether you're for or against the head coach, I think the vast majority of Argyle fans would acknowledge that our creativity has dropped off a cliff since the turn of the year. The only factor many of us will disagree on is the cause, ie. is it Foster, the loss of Azaz/Cundle, more difficult fixtures or all of the above?

Here's a few stats that look at the creativity in our squad...

Key Passes (passes that lead directly to a shot)

Azaz 3.21 key passes per 90mins
Cundle 1.82
Randell 1.57
Whittaker 1.52
Sousa 1.43
Miller 1.39
Mumba 1.37
Forshaw 1.28
Bundu 1.23
T Wright! 1.00

1. Azaz and Cundle were our most creative players, with Azaz accounting for a third of all key passes we make per 90mins.
2. Randell is now our most creative force from central midfield and also carries a goal threat of his own, so he needs to play as much as possible.
3. Joe Edwards can do a job defensively but only makes 0.37 key passes per 90. Compare that with Sousa, Miller and Mumba's numbers and you can see why Edwards has been struggling to get in the side since two of our main creative players left.

Shot-Creating Actions (offensive actions directly leading to a shot, such as passes, take-ons and drawing fouls)

Azaz 6.22 per 90
Whittaker 3.65
Cundle 3.43
Mumba 3.09
Randell 3.06
C Wright 2.99
Gillesphey 2.92
Forshaw 2.77
Sorinola 2.63
Bundu 2.60

1. I won't labour the point about Azaz - I'm not hand-picking these stats to make him look better than he was; he was just very, very good and nobody in our squad can come close to doing what he did, not even Morgan.
2. Mumba and Randell come out of another attacking stat looking good. They both need to play (suspensions notwithstanding).
3. Outside of the top three here there isn't much between the next dozen or so players, but C Wright could be worth another look in a substitute role if we need a goal.

Progressive Carries (dribbles that move the ball at least 10 yards towards the opposition area, or dribbles that end in the area)

Miller 4.72 per 90
Sousa 3.81
Bundu 3.42
Whittaker 3.31
Azaz 3.06
Devine 2.90
Mumba 2.86
KKH 2.84
C Wright 2.09
Hardie 2.02

1. You would probably expect wingbacks to dominate this metric, but look at Miller and Sousa's compared with KKH. Not to mention Edwards, who is way back on 0.79 progressive carries per 90. Given Miller and Sousa's solid numbers in both stats so far, it's a real shame they're both left-sided players.
2. Bundu featuring so high here surprised me as I didn't think this was a major part of his game.
3. Interesting that C Wright features again.

Carries into Penalty Box (dribbles that start outside the area and end inside)

Whittaker 1.8 per 90
Hardie 1.47
Mumba 1.15
C Wright 1.04
Azaz 1.02
Bundu 0.96
Miller 0.78
Sousa 0.48
Waine 0.48
KKH 0.47

1. You would expect to see forwards dominate this metric, but I was surprised to see C Wright edge Azaz. There's some decent evidence suggesting he should be given another go.

Touches in Attacking Third

Miller 21.2
Azaz 20.4
Whittaker 20.4
Bundu 20.3
Sousa 17.1
C Wright 16.6
Mumba 14.9
Cundle 14.7
KKH 14.3
Hardie 13.1

1. This stat in itself doesn't say a lot because it doesn't account for what the player does with the touch, but it's interesting to see that Miller has had more touches in the attacking third (per 90) than any other player.
2. I was surprised to see C Wright higher up in this one than Mumba. Even accounting for the fact that Mumba has featured at wingback at times, you would still expect him to have had more touches higher up the pitch per 90 than Wright.

So to try answer the question in the thread title: where will the goals come from? My conclusions are as follows:

1. They certainly aren't coming from any of the new signings. Neither Devine nor Gyabi have come anywhere close to replicating what Azaz and Cundle did for us, and it's probably not a fair comparison anyway given their age and limited experience. Were we really expecting them to do what Azaz and Cundle did? Highly unlikely.
2. Miller is key for us and if his final ball was better he would be an assist magnet. Hopefully they've had him working on that this week.
3. Can Sousa play on the right?
4. Whichever two IF picks to play in midfield, Randell needs to be one of them.
5. Mumba needs to play RWB over Edwards unless we're expecting to be under the cosh (assuming Sousa doesn't have a right foot).
6. Callum Wright should probably be given another go, at least as a late sub. His lack of strength and occasional poor concentration let him down at Championship level, but his appearance in several of the metrics I've looked at here suggest he's worth a look.
7. You can certainly see why we've tried to tighten up and try to get the points we need to stay up that way. Assuming the management team knew Devine and Gyabi were a bit of a punt (based on their previous stats), they must have been half prepared for the possibility that the goals would dry up without Azaz and Cundle.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We need to be more dynamic in the middle of the park, and as such we need an extra body. When we play with 2 the midfield is flat and one dimensional. Revert to a 433 with Forshaw and Devine flanking Randell or Houghton.

Reactions: E4pilgrim

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cundle's (candle?) light was starting to flicker out by the time he left us because in his last 10 games he contributed just one goal and one assist, both in the same game, so although he was a creative player his best time with us was earlier in the season.
Azaz has been a huge loss.

Mar 18, 2024
Falmouth
I've heard we were in for a very creative midfield player. Rudy Van Gogh really has an ear for goal.

Sadly, he gave us the brush off, and made a good impression on Ajax after canvassing them heavily on social media. The stroke of genius.

Oct 9, 2023
Whether you're for or against the head coach, I think the vast majority of Argyle fans would acknowledge that our creativity has dropped off a cliff since the turn of the year. The only factor many of us will disagree on is the cause, ie. is it Foster, the loss of Azaz/Cundle, more difficult fixtures or all of the above?

Cundle 1.82
Randell 1.57
Whittaker 1.52
Sousa 1.43
Miller 1.39
Mumba 1.37
Forshaw 1.28
Bundu 1.23
T Wright! 1.00

1. Azaz and Cundle were our most creative players, with Azaz accounting for a third of all key passes we make per 90mins.
2. Randell is now our most creative force from central midfield and also carries a goal threat of his own, so he needs to play as much as possible.
3. Joe Edwards can do a job defensively but only makes 0.37 key passes per 90. Compare that with Sousa, Miller and Mumba's numbers and you can see why Edwards has been struggling to get in the side since two of our main creative players left.

Shot-Creating Actions (offensive actions directly leading to a shot, such as passes, take-ons and drawing fouls)

Azaz 6.22 per 90
Whittaker 3.65
Cundle 3.43
Mumba 3.09
Randell 3.06
C Wright 2.99
Gillesphey 2.92
Forshaw 2.77
Sorinola 2.63
Bundu 2.60

1. I won't labour the point about Azaz - I'm not hand-picking these stats to make him look better than he was; he was just very, very good and nobody in our squad can come close to doing what he did, not even Morgan.
2. Mumba and Randell come out of another attacking stat looking good. They both need to play (suspensions notwithstanding).
3. Outside of the top three here there isn't much between the next dozen or so players, but C Wright could be worth another look in a substitute role if we need a goal.

Progressive Carries (dribbles that move the ball at least 10 yards towards the opposition area, or dribbles that end in the area)

Miller 4.72 per 90
Sousa 3.81
Bundu 3.42
Whittaker 3.31
Azaz 3.06
Devine 2.90
Mumba 2.86
KKH 2.84
C Wright 2.09
Hardie 2.02

1. You would probably expect wingbacks to dominate this metric, but look at Miller and Sousa's compared with KKH. Not to mention Edwards, who is way back on 0.79 progressive carries per 90. Given Miller and Sousa's solid numbers in both stats so far, it's a real shame they're both left-sided players.
2. Bundu featuring so high here surprised me as I didn't think this was a major part of his game.

Whittaker 1.8 per 90
Hardie 1.47
Mumba 1.15
C Wright 1.04
Azaz 1.02
Bundu 0.96
Miller 0.78
Sousa 0.48
Waine 0.48
KKH 0.47

1. You would expect to see forwards dominate this metric, but I was surprised to see C Wright edge Azaz. There's some decent evidence suggesting he should be given another go.

Miller 21.2
Azaz 20.4
Whittaker 20.4
Bundu 20.3
Sousa 17.1
C Wright 16.6
Mumba 14.9
Cundle 14.7
KKH 14.3
Hardie 13.1

1. This stat in itself doesn't say a lot because it doesn't account for what the player does with the touch, but it's interesting to see that Miller has had more touches in the attacking third (per 90) than any other player.
2. I was surprised to see C Wright higher up in this one than Mumba. Even accounting for the fact that Mumba has featured at wingback at times, you would still expect him to have had more touches higher up the pitch per 90 than Wright.

So to try answer the question in the thread title: where will the goals come from? My conclusions are as follows:

1. They certainly aren't coming from any of the new signings. Neither Devine nor Gyabi have come anywhere close to replicating what Azaz and Cundle did for us, and it's probably not a fair comparison anyway given their age and limited experience. Were we really expecting them to do what Azaz and Cundle did? Highly unlikely.
2. Miller is key for us and if his final ball was better he would be an assist magnet. Hopefully they've had him working on that this week.
5. Mumba needs to play RWB over Edwards unless we're expecting to be under the cosh (assuming Sousa doesn't have a right foot).
6. Callum Wright should probably be given another go, at least as a late sub. His lack of strength and occasional poor concentration let him down at Championship level, but his appearance in several of the metrics I've looked at here suggest he's worth a look.
7. You can certainly see why we've tried to tighten up and try to get the points we need to stay up that way. Assuming the management team knew Devine and Gyabi were a bit of a punt (based on their previous stats), they must have been half prepared for the possibility that the goals would dry up without Azaz and Cundle.
A great bit of research ! Thanks.

It shows us how we really need
Randell, Mumba (from Monday onwards),
Miller, Sousa, Bundu, Callum Wright ,
Devine etc. to play as much as possible
(but , of course, not overloading them with risk of injury) to not only create chances
for Whittaker, Hardie , Waine but also to score themselves.

Forshaw, Sorinola , Edwards and others. will also make some golden contributions , for sure !

Reactions: saxman
Apr 15, 2004
East Devon

Cundle 1.82
Randell 1.57
Whittaker 1.52
Sousa 1.43
Miller 1.39
Mumba 1.37
Forshaw 1.28
Bundu 1.23
T Wright! 1.00

Azaz 6.22 per 90
Whittaker 3.65
Cundle 3.43
Mumba 3.09
Randell 3.06
C Wright 2.99
Gillesphey 2.92
Forshaw 2.77
Sorinola 2.63
Bundu 2.60

Miller 4.72 per 90
Sousa 3.81
Bundu 3.42
Whittaker 3.31
Azaz 3.06
Devine 2.90
Mumba 2.86
KKH 2.84
C Wright 2.09
Hardie 2.02

Whittaker 1.8 per 90
Hardie 1.47
Mumba 1.15
C Wright 1.04
Azaz 1.02
Bundu 0.96
Miller 0.78
Sousa 0.48
Waine 0.48
KKH 0.47

Miller 21.2
Azaz 20.4
Whittaker 20.4
Bundu 20.3
Sousa 17.1
C Wright 16.6
Mumba 14.9
Cundle 14.7
KKH 14.3
Hardie 13.1

Thanks Woodsy .... as a stat nerd that's brilliant. Will mull it over when I have more time but .... blimey don't we miss Azaz. He may be the type of player who only shows his real class when his environment is just right. It was for his spell with us but he seems to be underwhelming at 'Boro. A bloody shame for him and us.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
A great bit of research ! Thanks.

It shows us how we really need
Randell, Mumba (from Monday onwards),
Miller, Sousa, Bundu, Callum Wright ,
Devine etc. to play as much as possible
(but , of course, not overloading them with risk of injury) to not only create chances
for Whittaker, Hardie , Waine but also to score themselves.

Forshaw, Sorinola , Edwards and others. will also make some golden contributions , for sure !
Think maybe time to give Issaka a chance ?

Reactions: oldage
Oct 9, 2023
Think maybe time to give Issaka a chance ?
Yes, definitely and Roberts too.

I only put down the names of the players with more creative contributions that had already been mentioned by Woodsy.

Issaka could be very useful coming on as a 'finisher' to add his trickery, speed, assists, goals for the last 15 to 20 mins against tiring, older, slower defenders . Freddie could be used centrally behind a main striker or on the left wing etc..
Freddie could , of course , also be a
' starter' depending on the opposition, the circumstances etc..

Then Roberts can add energy to midfield and help up as a 'finisher' or 'starter'.
Caleb works hard in the engine room
with and without the ball plus he gives assists and scores goals.

Sep 6, 2006
They certainly won't come from set pieces that's for sure. Yet another handicap and cause for alarm

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024
Since losing Azaz and Cundle the threat has been players driving forward with the ball. The ball over the top although is a good mix up we just need the players decision making to be better. That puts emphasis on the centre backs. The other option is to use the wings backs and link with midfielders to pass and go. From what I've seen most Championship teams are well drilled and press effectively. Azaz is the big miss, to accept the ball in tight positions and see the forward pass. Hoping one of the lads Devine, Randell, Wright can step up and do that for us in the run in.

Reactions: Paul green14