Dave Maclaren | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dave Maclaren

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Sorry to hear this sad news.

He was my first Argyle keeper, with John Leiper as the long-standing reserve who played the odd game.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
argyleapf":3qv279ae said:
So sorry to hear this news. I am always amazed Dave's name does not occure as often as it deserves. I have very fond memories of him as a very accomplished keeper in my early days as a supporter. I always thought he had a Scotish cap but may have been wrong without checking.

One of the best, of a very good selection of top class keepers we have had.
:sad:
Never capped or called up for his country but he came very close during that amazing run in 1961-62 when we so nearly made it to the top tier. he told me that in the end playing half his games at the farthest point from Scotland did not help his case. The selectors would see him at Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland but certainly no further south than Manchester. He joked with me how everywhere he went he was haunted by an international - at Leicester he lost his place to a young Gordon Banks, at Argyle it was Eire international Noel Dwyer, at Southampton it was Eric Martin and at Wolves Fred Davies and Phil Parkes. Prior to all that at Dundee he was understudy to the great Bill Brown who eventually went to Spurs.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Dave's daughter Alison sent out the following message overnight. "Please say a prayer for my Dad today. There is no doubt now that he is passing, possibly very soon. All we can hope for now is that his journey is peaceful and painless and filled with love. He has been so very very brave, so determined and so strong for so long after suffering a massive mid- cerebral ischemic stroke on the 11th of May this year that should never have happened. He is struggling to communicate now but still fights so hard to let us know how much we are loved. We only have to look in his eyes to see it, hold his hands or be embraced in one of his soulful hugs. There are just no words. No words to describe his pain, our pain, the pain of this horrible condition he didn't deserve, that no one deserves. X" It is sad when this happens to anyone but it always seems particularly so when it is someone we remember as a fine athlete.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
So sad to hear the news on Dave Maclaren. He was a great player and remains such a fond memory of my early days supporting Argyle. The team, as a whole, represented one of - if not the the best - of all time and I am so pleased to have been around to enjoy that period. Dave will always remain an Argyle legend.
:clap: :clap: :clap: