Derek Adams Fans Forum in Cornwall | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams Fans Forum in Cornwall

Jan 13, 2017
Derek made the point a couple of times of condemning how much money there is in this league, players on £14k a week etc. Made the point that the teams with half our attendances that were outperforming us financially were obviously having the money pumped in which we all know already but it's a valid point. Came across very well as he has before at these evenings, very relaxed so hopefully that is because he's confident of things picking up sharpish!

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Another good night out with our Cornish friends, a lot of good questions and answers hopefully John S will publish a summary of the meeting when he can.

Nikk and I were treated to a scenic route from the Barbican to the Saltash bridge on our way to St Blazey.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Army green":na6fe7gr said:
Knarf Reprah":na6fe7gr said:
Don't tell me.....we are over achieving! If we are, the likes of Rochdale, Burton, AFC Wimbledon are stratospheric!

Is that where we are now? A yo yo club between leagues 1 and 2. I know it's easier said than done but we need to get into the championship asap, it's almost becoming a premier league 2, so much difference financially than when we last graced that league. Can see us starting to get cut adrift and becoming a yo yo club between the bottom 2 leagues because we can't compete financially in league one at the moment, even with bigger attendances then 2 thirds of the other teams in the league.
When we do return to the second tier there looms another problem - the parachute payments. I still feel this gives clubs coming up from League One a distinct disadvantage. That said, there is still hope for well-organised coaches with young, well-motivated teams. Huddersfield is a good recent example but each of the other promotees were returning clubs.

Mar 23, 2008
LeonTheGreen":167zzp0q said:
He doesn't have an answer for the losses on Tuesday nights. Won't be returning to the Netherlands for pre season and the club are currently working on an alternative country. He said there is room in the budget for one more free agent. Feels as though we have been creating a number of chances and that we just need to finish them and we'll push up the table. He said that the club can't afford to travel by plane or train so coach is the only option. Bury was game was the worst we've had this season. Argued that both Sarcevic and Carey should and could have been yellows not reds. From what he was saying he appears to dislike Paul Cook, says that he is always in the fourth officials ear from minute one.

Also made a point that when we concede at Home Park the home fans go quiet, where as away at Fratton Park when we score the Pompey fans actually get louder. Would like to see this replicated at Home Park.

As someone else has said, a reality check in terms of the budget and how he is frustrated that he hasn't got the budget to bring in more players but understands that the club is running as sustainable business and that in the long run it will pay off. Said that we have inevitably missed out on targets this summer due to other teams paying more. Contemplated playing Sokolik in midfield as he feels that he is composed and a good passer of the ball. Currently trying him out in that position in the reserve games.

Can't remember much more that was said, overall it was a good evening and he is clearly a very decent bloke.
Thanks for analysis. The point on the fans is interesting and don't agree on the whole. Surely of more relevance is how we start games and what is becoming groundhog day? Do Pompey go a goal behind so consistently at home?

Ken Beale

♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
Sep 10, 2012
A great evening last night, Derek answered all questions honestly and really enjoyed the night. I am sure he will turn things around soon.

May 6, 2016
Deacster":3jikhi0y said:
Thanks for analysis. The point on the fans is interesting and don't agree on the whole. Surely of more relevance is how we start games and what is becoming groundhog day? Do Pompey go a goal behind so consistently at home?

Having watched us for the best part of 30 years I can confirm, alas, that it happens on quite a consistent basis ;-)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
dunlop":32lnttx1 said:
Another good night out with our Cornish friends, a lot of good questions and answers hopefully John S will publish a summary of the meeting when he can.

Nikk and I were treated to a scenic route from the Barbican to the Saltash bridge on our way to St Blazey.

I didn't notice any help from dumb and dumber.............. :whistle:

Mar 23, 2008
On the wages point, im sure that's the far end of the scale and doubt there are many players on that much. Perhaps players like Danny Graham and Charlie Mulgrew at Blackburn for example but they are just outside the play offs whereas Shrewsbury I doubt pay anything like that and are top, so wages are not the be all and end all.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Pompey fans reacting to a loud green army, not quite the same as to go cheering an abject start against the lesser L1 clubs/support is it.

Yellow for a head butt? Right. Still need to identify, admit and learn from the underlying problem with these reds. Though the recent Blissett red suggests that'll not be happening too quickly.

Sokolik, in a back 5?? Puzzling. Anyone but GW i guess, if parking the bus.

And the finance trivia can surely be put to bed until January can't it. What good of dwelling on it.

Dec 3, 2005
Regarding bookings and sending's off, it would be a lot better if the players did not give the Ref the option in the first place.

Head-butting and throwing the ball away when you don't like a decision should not happen.

Apr 9, 2011
It pains me to say it , but unless things considerably improve financially at the club I cant see us returning to the Championship any time soon. I know its only ten years or so since we were there but in that time the financial gap between lge1 & Championship has widened more than ever. You are going to get more & more clubs yo yoing between Prem & Champ because of this ridiculous parachute payment thing making it very unfair for newly promoted clubs to establish themselves

phil-thefluter24":3szicwke said:
It pains me to say it , but unless things considerably improve financially at the club I cant see us returning to the Championship any time soon. I know its only ten years or so since we were there but in that time the financial gap between lge1 & Championship has widened more than ever. You are going to get more & more clubs yo yoing between Prem & Champ because of this ridiculous parachute payment thing making it very unfair for newly promoted clubs to establish themselves

I agree. It seems to me there's an inherent approval of financial brinkmanship in the parachute system. It's basically saying 'go on, take a risk with these more expensive players, because you'll be let down lightly if you fail, and you'll have a residual advantage when you try to get re-promoted.' There's no other business I can think of where potential failure is cushioned in advance, and I don't see how it makes for long term good financial stewardship.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
mervyn":37j0u6c2 said:
phil-thefluter24":37j0u6c2 said:

I agree. It seems to me there's an inherent approval of financial brinkmanship in the parachute system. It's basically saying 'go on, take a risk with these more expensive players, because you'll be let down lightly if you fail, and you'll have a residual advantage when you try to get re-promoted.'
OK - let's sack Adams and go get Harry Redknapp :think: