Donny fan with a theory.... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Donny fan with a theory....

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Colchester have surprisingly crept into the mix in seventh place but having had a look at their results it's even more surprising because they have won just two games from their last seven - won 2, drawn 2 and lost 3.

They play Argyle and Doncaster in successive home games in April.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I know that Alick Jeffrey was Doncaster's most famous player who suffered a serious injury as a 17 year old in 1956.

I thought that I saw him play at Home Park but can't find it on GoS?

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":38axfz6r said:
Colchester have surprisingly crept into the mix in seventh place but having had a look at their results it's even more surprising because they have won just two games from their last seven - won 2, drawn 2 and lost 3.

But before that Colchester had won 7 in 8, a run to rival Exeter's at the time.

Two wins and two draws from the next seven isn't too bad when blended with form like that.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":3domhn88 said:
I know that Alick Jeffrey was Doncaster's most famous player who suffered a serious injury as a 17 year old in 1956.

I thought that I saw him play at Home Park but can't find it on GoS?
22nd August 1955 (a month before I entered this world :) ) in a 2-2 draw at HP. He's listed at No. 8 in the programme:

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-m ... =1955-8-22

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Thanks KIG. Somehow, I knew GoS would come up trumps.

Didn't think to look at the programme for their team.

I was an 8 year old then; Alick was 16.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
davie nine":1z4x27av said:
Thanks KIG. Somehow, I knew GoS would come up trumps.

Didn't think to look at the programme for their team.

I was an 8 year old then; Alick was 16.
There were two sendings off that day, Ralph Wetton for Argyle and a Bert Tindill for Donny. The game kicked off at 6.30 so it could be finished in daylight!! As for famous people playing for Doncaster, their centre half that night was one Charlie Williams who went on to find fame as one of the Comedians. Harry Gregg was also on their books at the time but was not a regular first teamer then. He later went to Manchester United for a record £23000 and famously survived Munich. Their manager at the time was Peter Doherty, a great player in his day. Jeffrey also played twice against Argyle at Belle Vue, scoring each time. On the first occasion, 15 January 1955 he was still 14 days short of his 16th birthday. In those days that was quite remarkable.

R

roversred

We both didn't manage a win again although your result was better than ours..Like us it seems you've lost a good player after playing Luton..I told you they were physical..Makes up for there lack of actual football..Luckily for both of us teams arnt consistently taking advantage but we both need to pick up now else someone will start too....
As for Jeffrey he was our best ever player without doubt but a bad injury put paid to his career at a young age and in those days there wasn't the medical advancement there are today and he was done ...Although if he hadn't got it he would have been on the plane at Munich so small mercy's and all that...My grandmother is actually buried behind David Pegg who was a Donny lad who sadly was on the plane....

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
We have 3 home games in the next 8 days (including our 'catch up' game with Blackpool) whereas you have 2 away games.

If we were full of confidence we could expect to be at least level on points by Tuesday week.

However, football doesn't often work like that and, currently, our away record is better than our home one.

Sep 20, 2003
I used to watch Donny during the Billy Bremner years (Lived in Auckley). Some great players, The Snodin brothers, Alan Little, Warboys to name a few.

Had many an enjoyable game there. Remember Donny 7 Reading 5 with Kerry Dixon scoring a hat trick for Reading.

Donny winning promotion against Bournemouth.

Belle Vue was a great old fashioned ground.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I'm not saying that I remember it but we had a 6-4 away win against Doncaster in October 1958. Goals from Peter Anderson 3, Barrie Meyer 2 and Harry Penk when we went up to League 2 as champions. (Info courtesy of GoS).

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Donny will be fine. You hardly ever lose. Argyle on the other hand make a habit of losing to lowly sides
And I still am not convinced a third season in the play offs isn't on the cards. I think Pompey are on a run and could end up winning the league.

Aug 14, 2015
Knibbsworth":13cr0pnw said:
PL2 3DQ":13cr0pnw said:

But before that Colchester had won 7 in 8, a run to rival Exeter's at the time.

Two wins and two draws from the next seven isn't too bad when blended with form like that.
WE ( Pompey) have to Play Colchester too

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Bezza":3fqa4e3h said:
Donny will be fine. You hardly ever lose. Argyle on the other hand make a habit of losing to lowly sides
And I still am not convinced a third season in the play offs isn't on the cards. I think Pompey are on a run and could end up winning the league.

I totally agree in the assumption that Pompey will be the biggest threat and I think will be one of the promoted teams.