FA Youth Cup Argyle 0 v Pompey 4 FT | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

FA Youth Cup Argyle 0 v Pompey 4 FT

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
That was rubbish, they tore us apart, they didn't have too many chances but they took them all and were better than us in all departments. Still at least the senior side is doing better. The number 9 had a couple of shots at the end, thats the only positive really.

Jul 10, 2011
Argyle played with enthusiasm and passion but could not match their older and more experienced opponents, who were quicker to the ball and passed the ball more accurately.
Nevertheless a good experience for our young hopefuls, many must have been playing on the pitch for the first time!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Very poor from an Argyle side that didn't look at the races at all. We had odd 5 minute spells here and there where we looked like putting something together but nothing much. A few observations:

-Ryan Lane is clearly a talented lad and looked the most like creating something for us when he had the ball at his feet but he isn't very sharp/match fit and thus he didn't do well off the ball. I believe that was his first 90 minutes since his return from injury so his lack of sharpness is understandable for that reason.
-Mason Hughes, Callum Hall and Jake Miller are all highly rated and have all impressed me in the past but were all distinctly off colour tonight. Well below par from all of them but they've shown in the past that they've got something- it just wasn't present tonight. On the occasions that Miller and Hall did get the ball down and play some football, those were the occasions that we looked most like a coherent team.
-Sad to say, I don't think Hannah is ready to make the step up to the pro game.
-Rooney was very lively off the ball but poor technique and poor finishing whenever he got it.
-Owen Jones (the brother of Lloyd who we sold to Liverpool I understand) was probably our best player in spite of him playing in a defence that shipped four. He kept position well when every player around him was going to pieces.
-Pompey were very good and not JUST because we made them look good (although we did do that too). They moved the ball fantastically and have got a very technically talented young side. Their number 10 Chapman had an absolutely INCREDIBLE game. He tore us to absolute shreds. Don't be surprised if he goes on to make it at the highest level in the next ten years. That performance from him was the best I've ever seen live from a youth player bar none.

Disappointing result, very patchy performance on the whole (in spite of clear effort and occasional glimpses of class) but I'm sure the young lads will learn from it.

P

Paul_Roberts

Good to hear Ryan Lane is back from injury. I think we've got a real player on our hands there.

Jan 28, 2013
Ivybridge
Agree the lads were not there usual selves last night.
Hall Mason Miller didn't show up, Ryan Lane in my opinion is overrated, Rooney tried his best but don't think having a lone striker works if you have no service from a poor team.
Not a good performance !!

Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
I did think that the Pompey lads looked physically stronger and certainly happy to get stuck in, sometimes with OTT challenges,. That said an enjoyable game even though Argyle lost. Am I right in assuming that if you can have someone with the name of Oxlade-Chamberlain in your side the chances are it won't be a bad side! :think:

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Argyle Since'68":3ffjer8e said:
I did think that the Pompey lads looked physically stronger and certainly happy to get stuck in, sometimes with OTT challenges,. That said an enjoyable game even though Argyle lost. Am I right in assuming that if you can have someone with the name of Oxlade-Chamberlain in your side the chances are it won't be a bad side! :think:

Any relation? :greensmile: