Final day: what we need to do | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Final day: what we need to do

Jul 9, 2011
28/1? Really? Can’t believe that, not even traded near that on the exchange. Fair play if you did get those odds but never saw them get any higher than 16/1
4th February the day after are win at Swansea we were 28/1, I also had a few quid that day still hoping not to collect tho

Reactions: Green 1886
Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
I’m dreading Saturday, I’m expecting the worse but hoping for the best. At the moment it feels like going to a funeral. Is there a chance it will be a live game on sky?

Jun 27, 2019
Annoyingly my son has a tournament in Hertfordshire (ironically Argyle and Norwich are also there). I've already upgraded my data plan and will be glued to Argyle TV or Sky and basically growling at anyone who comes near me for the entire duration of the game.

Not looking forward to it one bit.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Gary Lineker spoke about Sir Bobby Robson's pre-match flip chart briefings in the 1986 World Cup. The players used to dread it. After a 1-0 defeat v Portugal and a 0-0 v Morocco England needed to win to progress to the next round. Sir Bobby once again resorted to the flip chart pre-match. He turned over the first page and it was blank. Lineker said 'Boss the page is blank'. Sir Bobby said, 'Just ******* win the game!' That sums it up for me.

Jan 6, 2004
We have to go for a win (the one good thing about Saturday's result is that Dewsnip will not try to play for a bore nil nil draw again - a draw is useless to us)

We have to create the same atmosphere as we created against Leicester, that will not be easy at is an early kick off and there will be a lot of nervousness, but that sort of atmosphere could really make the difference.

Feb 8, 2005
We have to go for a win (the one good thing about Saturday's result is that Dewsnip will not try to play for a bore nil nil draw again - a draw is useless to us)

We have to create the same atmosphere as we created against Leicester, that will not be easy at is an early kick off and there will be a lot of nervousness, but that sort of atmosphere could really make the difference.
Cannot see us "going for the win".

It'll take all our time to try to stem the tide coming the other way.

We will need to keep the scoreline down.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It doesn't mean too much, because things are very different now and they have added incredible quality in Fabio Carvalho... but we did play quite well at Hull in a 1-1 draw with 10 out of 11 of those players still available.

I won't even say the name of the player we're missing :censored::(

Jan 6, 2004
Cannot see us "going for the win".

It'll take all our time to try to stem the tide coming the other way.

We will need to keep the scoreline down.
Sorry I cant agree with that. If Birmingham win, we need a win ourselves, if they draw we need to lose by five clear goals or more to go down. That is incredibly unlikely and it seems mad to reduce our chances of winning by being too defensive because of that risk - we need to go for it. Obviously late in the game we can re assess depending on how the scores are panning out.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Really? Could have sworn they were home - therefore a direct comparison between then and now ...... and my anger at Sunderland over these years exaggerated (well a bit).
Definitely away at Roots Hall

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Will conceding at Huddersfield have taken a mental toll on the Birmingham players - they also only managed a goalless draw at relegated Rotherham
Wagner will have his Norwich team fired up- they will have their own agenda going into the play offs
Agree. You need momentum heading into the playoffs. Norwich cannot afford to ‘rest on their Laurels’!
All this speculation is purely for the fans. Wagner will be demanding the best from his team!

Feb 8, 2005
Sorry I cant agree with that. If Birmingham win, we need a win ourselves, if they draw we need to lose by five clear goals or more to go down. That is incredibly unlikely and it seems mad to reduce our chances of winning by being too defensive because of that risk - we need to go for it. Obviously late in the game we can re assess depending on how the scores are panning out.
You have your opinion, and I have mine, GF.

Mine is that we are never going to win against a team like Hull who need a win to try to get into the play-offs and will be dominant in the game.

The slimmest of chances of us winning may be to get a breakaway goal and then sit on our laurels, but it will be very difficult to keep the score at 1-0 for the rest of the game.

If we "go for it" then we are more likely to give more goals away and we could be our own downfall in the event of Birmingham drawing.

Keep the game to 0-0 at half time if we can, and if we go a goal or two down then all hands on deck to prevent the score from getting any worse. Hull will be happy with that score anyway, they could not get anything better than a win, they have no chance of getting a better goal difference, they are way behind, and they will then let the game fizzle out.

Jan 6, 2004
You have your opinion, and I have mine, GF.

Mine is that we are never going to win against a team like Hull who need a win to try to get into the play-offs and will be dominant in the game.

The slimmest of chances of us winning may be to get a breakaway goal and then sit on our laurels, but it will be very difficult to keep the score at 1-0 for the rest of the game.

If we "go for it" then we are more likely to give more goals away and we could be our own downfall in the event of Birmingham drawing.

Keep the game to 0-0 at half time if we can, and if we go a goal or two down then all hands on deck to prevent the score from getting any worse. Hull will be happy with that score anyway, they could not get anything better than a win, they have no chance of getting a better goal difference, they are way behind, and they will then let the game fizzle out.
We just saw the result of a defensive set up against Millwall, we are under the cosh for most of the game and eventually concede. We are at home, our best performances at home have been based on attacking intent without fear, where we have shown the opposition too much respect and sat back we have lost - this is one of the biggest criticisms of Foster (not just by the fans but the players too) and yet Dewsnip is continuing the strategy. The Leicester result was a one off and we got very lucky, it is unlikely that will be repeated. We need to win, we need to play to win from the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Said old Green